Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-12-23, 8:30am
Spoiled

Default Marble stand

I did a search and couldn't find anything so I'll ask.

Does anyone make their own stands for marble?

I saw a lot of info on where to buy some or using o-rings but would like to make some. I've made one using a big hole mandrel but wondered if there was something a little faster and easier. Thanks!

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-12-23, 8:57am
Borovangelist

Something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbV9zmeDbCY

|
|
Old 2008-12-23, 9:03am
ManBearPig

Glass + glass = scratches. Use something softer than the glass for the stand.

Old 2008-12-23, 9:06am
Pyromaniac

If you want to use glass, you can use a ratchet set, a ring mandrel or your torch head.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-12-23, 9:09am
Spoiled

Thanks, something like that would be perfect. Looks like I need to get a graphite push rod now though, haha.

Sad thing was I was watching youtube earlier looking at different marble making videos and didn't even think to search there. (I'll blame it on my headache, I can't even think straight.)

Old 2008-12-23, 9:11am
Spoiled

I didn't even think of scratches Chad.

I'm making a marble for my Dad for Christmas and thought a glass stand would be nice to go with it.

Old 2008-12-23, 9:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Glass + glass = scratches. Use something softer than the glass for the stand.
Maybe you could put an o-ring in the stand to prevent scratches. If it's small enough, you wouldn't be able to see the o-ring at all.
Old 2008-12-23, 9:18am
Spoiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugNerd View Post
Maybe you could put an o-ring in the stand to prevent scratches. If it's small enough, you wouldn't be able to see the o-ring at all.
That's a good idea. I'd have the best of both then. I have a bunch of extra white o-rings from my paintball gun too.

Glad you guys are thinking even when my brain is out of commission.

Old 2008-12-23, 9:24am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee View Post
I didn't even think of scratches Chad.

I'm making a marble for my Dad for Christmas and thought a glass stand would be nice to go with it.
I have a couple of nice (expensive) furnace glass marbles that came with glass stands. The bottoms of them are all scratched up from the stand.

I prefer plastic stands, but wood is a good choice as well.

Old 2008-12-23, 9:29am

Would Moretti scratch boro?

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-12-23, 10:26am

these seem to work well:

http://glassmarble.com/marblestands.html
Old 2008-12-23, 9:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamn! View Post
Would Moretti scratch boro?
It is not the glass that scratches, but the dust that sits on the top of the glass. When glass sits on glass any dust between them becomes an abrasive.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2008-12-23, 9:47pm
product of the universe

small o rings work great to hold marbles also in the shower section of department stores they carry little rubber o's for shower curtains or something like that.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2008-12-23, 9:49pm
product of the universe

http://aluminumdisplaycase.com/
they have some nice marble displays.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.