Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2010-04-04, 8:29pm
Dangerous Woman

Default A few questions

A member of our craft guild has a daughter that is getting treatments for cancer. Do all hospitals participate in BoC? Is there a way to find out? If her hospital does participate I can still give her some of my beads right? Is there an age cut-off for BoC? My friends daughter is 18, I think, but she has autism and metal retardation and a seizure disorder on top of the cancer diagnosis. This is not her first round of chemo. People in our guild are getting her 'little surprizes' that her mom can dole out to her as she sees fit or if she needs a lift on a bad day. What kind of 'necklace' do the BoC kids use? I know it is something they can tie and untie to add or rearrange the beads. I'd like to send something she can tie and untie and a bunch of beads that her mom can give to her one or two at a time. I'm just not sure what to send.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly sppreciated. Thanks!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-04-05, 8:28am

We're in about 60 hospitals across the country, so not every children's hospital has a Beads of Courage program. There are other programs operating as well that are similar but often not as comprehensive as BoC. BoC uses a strand of a leatherette sort of material that is apparently almost indestructible. I believe that our cutoff is around 18, but it may not be a hard and fast line. Colin can probably address that better. Check your PM.

What hospital is she working with?

Robert

Last edited by RSimmons; 2010-04-05 at 8:30am.
Old 2010-04-05, 8:00pm
Dangerous Woman

I shared BoC info at our meeting tonight. There seemed to be quite a few people interested in it. After the meeting a few people came up to me and thanked me for letting them know about BoC. I think the website is going to be posted on our site.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.