Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2010-02-12, 6:59am

Default Sculptural Butterfly Clarification

Butterfly beads are presented to parents who have lost a child to cancer or other illness that is part of the Beads of Courage program. Many hospitals hold special bereavement ceremonies for these presentations. Often the parents will put their butterfly bead on a chain or cord and wear it often as a tangible link to their child. This is why we always want to be sure that they butterflies are strong enough to take daily wear.

I want to make a clarification on butterflies as there seems to be some lingering confusion about them and the various discussions tend to get buried in threads. Some people prefer one style over another. We're not persnickety about it.

Sculptural butterflies are fine and we happily use them. The only caveat is that you want to be sure that the wings are thick enough and attached to the body very well so that they don't break easily. You don't have to wire wrap them before you send them, we can handle that it Tucson. It's great if you do want to wire wrap so that they are ready to wear as this speeds up the turn around time and gets them out to the hospitals faster.

Non sculptural butterflies made with pulled dots, murrini, copper/enamel or any other method you've invented are also very much appreciated. The same guidelines for wire wrapping apply here as with the sculptural designs. Wrap them if you want to; if not that's OK, too.

These are very important beads and, considering their purpose, for many are the most difficult to make. It's hard to express how much your efforts on these very special beads are appreciated.

Robert

Last edited by RSimmons; 2010-02-13 at 8:01am. Reason: Added a thought
Old 2010-04-22, 12:24pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

I was wondering, Do the parents get to choose their butterfly?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jenny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by EmbellishYourself; 2010-04-22 at 12:31pm.
Old 2010-04-22, 1:02pm

I think that this may vary from place to place, depending to some extent on the size of the program. Some parents request their butterflies right away, some wish to wait a while. In larger groups I believe that they tend to be more randomly distributed.

Robert
Old 2010-05-01, 5:47pm
I think I could be a bead

Thanks for clearing up the confusion, Robert. I have been making another type of butterfly, and I honestly don't like the results. I love the sculptural butterflies! I will go back to making those now and make sure that the wings are very strong.

Old 2010-05-03, 4:06pm

Sounds good. Strong wings are important. I just repaired a sculptural butterfly that had shed it's back right wing. It's right as rain now, but there were tense moments when the parts came out of the kiln on punties for reassembly.

Robert
Old 2010-05-09, 9:15am
Catchen' the Sun

And how devistating that would be for the parent wearing it.

SRA # K36 Catchen' the Sun Glass Art

Old 2010-05-10, 7:56am

Quote:
And how devistating that would be for the parent wearing it.
It is most definitely a hard moment for parents. That's why I emphasize strength as well a beauty when making butterflies.

Robert