No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-10-31, 8:54pm

Default Messy Bordello

Hi Everyone!

Has anyone gotten Bordello from CiM? If so, do you have any tips on working this color? I seem to be "the best" at burning the crap out of it and that is about all I work on a Lynx and Integra concentrator. Thanks in advance

Angela
Old 2006-10-31, 8:58pm
sunscreen me baby

Did you look at it after taking it out of the kiln? I made a test bead and it looked burned. But when I put what I thought was a bloody reminiscent of rainbow red bead in the kiln it came out a gorgeous shade of garnet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-10-31, 9:08pm

Well Suzy.... now I feel like a dunce, I didn't anneal it because I thought I had ruined it already I encased it in Lauscha clear and it looked almost black and charred so I threw in the towel. I will have to give it another try and see what happens! Thanks for the reply!!

Angela
Old 2006-10-31, 10:59pm

I would love to see the pics of this color...it looks like such a scrumptious maroon.

Old 2006-11-01, 4:59am
Deb M.

I love this color! I just work it in a neutral flame, cool it a bit and put it back in just to heat, I get a fantastic color of garnet also! I have a set in the kiln, will post pics tonight after work.

Old 2006-11-01, 5:10am
sunscreen me baby

LOL Angela. I almost did the same thing but then thought, heck I have to anneal one, you never know. Good thing I did!

~

Old 2006-11-01, 10:40am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I love the title of this thread...lololol

If you don't know about messy colors, it's even funnier
Old 2006-11-01, 11:15am
novembersfyre everywhere

Thanks for the info on this! I just had my Bordello arrive yesterday and I'm going to use it this afternoon.

If I had seen that color you were describing all of my beads would have ended up going for a swim! I've never had success with red beads going in the kiln burnt looking and then looking nicer after being annealed - so this is good stuff to know!

Old 2006-11-01, 3:22pm
Ad astra per aspera

Definitely be patient. Mine looked murky going in, too, but came out a lovely rich true garnet color. I'm SO happy!!!!!! I've been waiting all of my lampwork life for this color!!!

I'll post pix later, gotta go clean my beads.

Old 2006-11-01, 4:06pm

Thanks you guys, I appreciate all the replies

and Squid... OMG! I never even thought of that until you posted, made me chuckle, now that you mention it!!!

I can't wait to get back out to the studio and work this glass some more, and I would LOVE to see photos of your finished beads!

Thanks again
Angela
Old 2006-11-01, 4:14pm
Dilly53

Default Messy Bordello Question

I'll be heading to my glass store tomorrow to buy some of this glass and wondered if anyone has tried using it as an encasing color on white? I'm wondering if it does its magic in the kiln, or if it stays a muddy color? I hope someone out there can tell me if this will work before I spend the $$$ for it!
Old 2006-11-01, 4:31pm
Missing presumed fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth
I just had my Bordello arrive yesterday and I'm going to use it this afternoon.
One of those sentences that, when you take them out of context, sound really, really odd.
Old 2006-11-01, 5:39pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
One of those sentences that, when you take them out of context, sound really, really odd.
And - I knew that when I posted it

Old 2006-11-02, 2:21pm
Ad astra per aspera

Okay, here's pix as promised. I did a core of clear, then a double wrap of Bordello (to cover the seams in the first wrap). That's a 1" standard lentil from Catt, so it's fairly thick.
Attached Images

Old 2006-11-02, 4:46pm
Deb M.

Karen, pretty bead! Here is the set I was talking about....

Old 2006-11-03, 1:25pm

Beautiful Beads! Thanks for sharing
Old 2006-11-12, 8:26pm
A True Woofer

I'm in love with this color. I think it would be stunning for the holidays. Here it is, with gold leaf, encased in clear and squeezed.

Oh, and I found out that it looks brown under fluorescent light, but looks red in sunlight and under incandescent light.

Old 2006-12-29, 9:19pm

what's "cim"?
Old 2006-12-29, 9:53pm
Shine your bright side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyPhelps View Post
what's "cim"?
CIM = Creation is Messy, a new fun glass being imported from China and marketed by the lovely ladies at the Creation is Messy Studio.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone