Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-10-25, 5:26pm

Default webbing intense black?

I am having trouble getting my intense black to web.

Are there colors besides ivory that cause nice webbing of IB?

Also, I know it should be really thin to help with the webbing are there other tips that will help?

I hope I don't have a bad batch of IB.

Thanks,
Darlene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-10-25, 5:27pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Heat it really hot & you'll be able to watch it start webbing.

Vivian

-

Old 2013-10-25, 5:42pm
Dynamic Duo

We also have had troubles with this. AND we just bought a new batch of IB, so thinking something has changed. The few rods we have of the old stuff does web - it usually takes quite a bit of time - for us about 4 minutes using minor or mega minor torch.

We buy the IB as stringer width, and then pull it even thinner when we want to get the webbing.

Old 2013-10-25, 5:55pm

I use a hair-thin stringer, literally. Heat the tip of a rod a little, attach a punty, and pull immediately.

It's usually a two-stage webbing process for me. Melt it in, let the bead cool back down to a point that it's not sagging at all, then reheat in the hottest part of the flame to pretty hot. I use a mega minor. Works for me.

My intense black's about two years old, but...if it's not what you're doing already, it's worth a try.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-10-25, 9:32pm

I bought some CIM Hades stringer from Frantz and found out that it webs on white, haven't tried it on ivory yet. I think of it as a cheap(er) alternative to intense black. Actually, I have limited experience with IB.
Old 2013-10-25, 10:16pm
Unmedicated since '62

I just cook the snot out of it over ivory or turquoise, and yeah a little is all you need, hair fine stringer

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-10-26, 6:15am
Peerless Thread Killer

Years ago I bought intense black stringers, only to find out much later that they were regular black. It was too late for me to contact the seller, but you might contact the company you bought them from if you just got them. The way I found out was that it didn't web at all.

Old 2013-10-26, 12:07pm

Thanks for the help everyone

Old 2013-10-26, 7:04pm

Darlene, funny that you should mention this! I just used up all of my older IB and now that I am using my new batch I can't get webs. Seriously messed with my mind until I saw your post. Perhaps the formula has changed?

--Helene
Old 2013-10-26, 10:58pm

Have you tried Moretti anice white?

That always works for me.

Old 2013-10-26, 11:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendah View Post
I bought some CIM Hades stringer from Frantz and found out that it webs on white, haven't tried it on ivory yet. I think of it as a cheap(er) alternative to intense black. Actually, I have limited experience with IB.
I've had success with CIM Hades webbing on Light Ivory, haven't tried in on dark ivory yet, though...

Old 2013-10-26, 11:57pm
Naysayer

^ it works on dark, I use Hades now for webbing instead of IB
Old 2013-10-27, 7:18am

I second that you have to se hairfine stringers and what Melissa said: heat seriously, let cool, then heat again.

Bye
Kreszentia

My Etsy-Shop:
- selling worldwide for 5 Euros s&h flat
My Homepage:

My facebook:
Old 2013-10-27, 7:37am
Loving learning

It also webs on light pink, and I'm sure some other opaques too, but haven't tried them all to know which ones.
Old 2013-10-27, 4:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
^ it works on dark, I use Hades now for webbing instead of IB
Nice! Thanks.

Old 2013-10-29, 10:56am
Dynamic Duo

Thought I would show an example of the webbing desired.

Made this bead in August with the last of old purchase of intense black, and tried to make a companion with IB from a new purchase. It was IMPOSSIBLE to get the new to web. Have had no success at all since then.

Old 2013-10-30, 10:19am
Redheaded Thread Killer

I used to use it on ivory, turquoise, and coral, and it webs really well on those colors and other opaques (from my past experience). I wonder if their bins got mislabeled somehow and you didn't get true IB?

Have you guys contacted the place(s) you purchased it from?

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2013-10-30, 10:21am
Loving learning

Good point. If you pull a thin stringer or mash it really thin, does it look black or purple?
Old 2013-10-30, 10:28am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Good point. If you pull a thin stringer or mash it really thin, does it look black or purple?
This. If it's clear purple, it's not intense black.

Old 2013-10-30, 2:52pm
Naysayer

Yes, as someone mentioned (I think), some got regular black and not IB before. So it happens.

As far as Hades, here are some examples http://creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=17
Old 2013-11-01, 1:26pm
Dynamic Duo

Definitely intense black, as it is very black when thin, and works wonderfully for crisp black lines. Just no longer webs, if that is what you want.

Old 2013-11-02, 10:37pm
Naysayer

ah shame, then the formula must be messed up then? That's the whole fun of it! Well to me anyways.
Old 2013-11-09, 6:00am

I got the ultra webbing from GUNMETAL (CiM).. but as everybody said, it has to be from a hairthin stringer and quite overcooked...
left: on medium grey, middle: on white, right on a mixed base.
(the flat drops are stone: mookait)
Attached Images

Old 2013-11-09, 6:25am

Gorgeous~
Old 2013-11-09, 9:32am

thank you marilyn!
Old 2013-11-09, 12:16pm

Wow! I love those! Absolutely stunning.

Old 2013-11-10, 2:39am

thank you Dawn!
Old 2013-11-13, 3:50pm

I think it really helps to let the glass move around also. Good heat control practice and you get cool webbing.

Old 2013-11-13, 5:41pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I have been using gunmetal myself for awhile now. It is really fun to super heat it and watch the webbing.

Old 2013-11-17, 5:42am

Oh Hades is the KING of webbing! It's not quite the same as IB and sometimes Hades can overwhelm your entire bead. Crazy glass, it is!