Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-09-23, 7:20pm

Default Carlise mini cc w/crowley marver or GTT Cricket

Carlise mini cc w/crowley marver or GTT Cricket? Which torch would you choose. I am tring to replace the Carlise which was stolen from me and was offered a trade for the GTT Cricket for a bead spinner I proably won't use the spinner when broken hand heals. Would love to hear some feedback.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

_

Last edited by beachbeads; 2013-09-23 at 9:12pm.
Old 2013-09-24, 12:01am
Beadmaking.nl

I have had a mini cc voor many years and I loved it.
I have had a GTT bobcat for three weeks and I hated it. I had to clean the torch almost every 2 hours and the flame was unstable, had to correct it every time.
But perhaps is the cricket better.

Since a few months I have the Betlehem Alfa and for me it is the best torch I ever had.

Good luck with your choice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-09-24, 12:12am
I fart diamonds

I've had both and would take the Cricket over the Mini all day long. The flames are different (Cricket has a narrow, super hot flame) and it will take getting used to, but I definitely, without a doubt, prefer the Cricket. (I did love my Mini, when I had it, but i like the way GTTs heat the core of the glass better.)

Lol. It's funny that I thought about offering you the same trade!

Old 2013-09-24, 3:58am

It depends what sort of flame you like. Mini CCs are very bushy and Crickets very thin and pointed - I didn't like that for working soft glass, I prefer something gentler and wider.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-09-25, 8:40am

Cricket for sure. But it's all a matter of taste - I prefer a small, pointy flame because I work small. I don't like the Mini CC at all - the flame is too chaotic and whispy - but that doesn't mean it isn't a good torch, if you like that kind of flame.

Old 2013-09-25, 4:15pm
Against the Grain

I've had a Mini CC for a long time. Bought a Cricket once. When I llit it for the first time, it scared the hell out of me. I heard a loud pop and a very long forceful flame shot out across the table. I sold it and went back to my nice peaceful, quiet, bushy-flamed Mini CC. It relaxes me. They are two very different torches.

Old 2013-09-25, 4:27pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Moon Lampwork View Post
I've had a Mini CC for a long time. Bought a Cricket once. When I llit it for the first time, it scared the hell out of me. I heard a loud pop and a very long forceful flame shot out across the table. I sold it and went back to my nice peaceful, quiet, bushy-flamed Mini CC. It relaxes me. They are two very different torches.
You must have had oxygen leaking through. Surface mix torches aren't supposed to pop when you light them. If it does, something is wrong.

Old 2013-09-27, 2:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
I've had both and would take the Cricket over the Mini all day long. The flames are different (Cricket has a narrow, super hot flame) and it will take getting used to, but I definitely, without a doubt, prefer the Cricket. (I did love my Mini, when I had it, but i like the way GTTs heat the core of the glass better.)

Lol. It's funny that I thought about offering you the same trade!
What torch are you using now if you wanted to trade the cricket? They are definately cheaper then the mini.

_
Old 2013-09-27, 2:50pm
I fart diamonds

I use a Phantom but I have a couple of Crickets