LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-10-02, 7:14pm

Default National 8m torch heat question

I have a question concerning my National 8m surface mix torch.
It seems the fittings that conect the fuel hose gets awfully hot after about 20 min of use.
Should I be concered about the heat and any flashback issues?
Should I be using flashback arrestors because of any danger due to the heat?
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-10-02, 11:15pm

It's always good to have flashback arresters!
TIM
Old 2013-10-03, 4:01am

I noticed my national m8 torch would do what you mentioned when I was working with silver glass and reducing. After reducing I would add clear in a neutral flame but I noticed I was not bringing the oxygen level high enough, once I added more oxygen it would cool down.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-10-03, 4:46am

If your fittings are getting that hot you have the wrong oxy and propane pressure. Same thing happend to me. There is a thread about this. I can't remember the correct settings. I changed mine and it quit getting hot

Old 2013-10-03, 8:08am

I will go and see if I can find the thread on this. I also tried looking on national's website, but nothing.
I was thinking the flame was different, compared to my Bobcat, but thought maybe it was just a different torch. Now I am thinking it is the settings. I work on a 5 lb concentrator... hmmmm

Old 2013-10-03, 9:45am
kinda torching....

What tip are you using?

I use the sm7 with my 10lpm oxycon and I feel like its barely enough oxygen...

So unless you're using the sm5 or sm7, you're likely not getting enough oxy through the tip and causing the torch to overheat. :/

Old 2013-10-03, 9:46am
kinda torching....

You'd probably get better heat from the bobcat unless you went to tanked oxygen, or used more or larger oxycons.

Old 2013-10-03, 10:00am

It has the sm7 tip. I will try adjusting my propane and turn up the oxy to its fullest, or get my t hose with a second concentror which I have.
I was actually liking the cooler more bushier flame on this torch. I have in route a CC also.
Thanks for everyones help! I love this forum