Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2013-04-21, 1:11pm

Default torch set up questions

How can I hook up my minor torch directly to my household propane tank? Right now I have a large canister just for beadmaking but I now have no way to transport it to be refilled. And some companies won't fill it (80 gal) since it's not considered a "tank" but a canister when they refill my household 150 gal tank. Thanks in advance to your expertise, opinions, and help.
Old 2013-04-21, 1:29pm
Alaska Boro

If the larger tank is being using for residential heating then the output pressure is perhaps 1/3 PSI at the tank regulator. But ask to make sure. Torches can run on this low pressure but like 5 PSI much better.

If 5 PSI is desired, then run a second line with the appropriate regulator at the tank. Contact the propane dealer and ask if they can install another line for your torch. Or a plumber that is certified to do propane work.

Your other and less costly option is to purchase a 20 pound tank (about $30) and store the tank outside like your present 80 gallon system. Thus it will be portable and refillable without the need a propane truck.
Old 2013-04-23, 9:54am

Smile

Thank you!
Old 2013-05-03, 6:00am
PyronamixK

Minor burners can do fine on low pressure (on the low end, it can use 1/4 psi). One reason you see 5 psi being recommended so much is that many regulators used in lampworking (i.e., not always the most expensive ones) need to be set at 5 psi or higher to function optimally and not produce a fluctuating flame. Another reason some people set their fuel pressure to 5 psi is that they set the oxygen psi to 10 psi and want to a 2:1 oxygen to fuel ratio. Unless you are running your torch with the fuel and oxygen valves wide open, you are really mixing the ratio with the oxygen and fuel valves of the torch, and you don't need to set your pressures up to the 2:1 ratio.
Old 2013-05-10, 3:49pm

I would be careful tapping into your home gas line unless you are comfortable and knowledgeable working with it. City codes may not allow it also. I know my town requires an inspection after you do anything with the gas lines.