Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2016-12-01, 7:25pm

Default Torch needs question

My hubby decided he would get me a torch for Christmas. I was looking at the mega minor but not sure if that's what I would need.

I live in Florida and work 104 glass outside in the shed only during winter months when it's cool enough!! The largest bead I've tried to make is about two inches and I would have preferred it to be smaller than that. I like high detail, in small areas and love to make detailed murrini. I've been using a hot head and only have 2 years of winter experience with glass. I have no interest in boro or making large sculptures. Only beads and murrini

What would be my ideal torch and setup? Keep in mind I'm still a newbie and learning so I do not need a top of the line studio. Although if I had a AC in the shed and a extractor fan...
Thanks!
Old 2016-12-02, 12:34am
Phill

I will tell you my first and so far only mixed fuel torch is a Cricket.

(Well, other than the welders torch I started out with.)

But your post makes me concerned more about your ventilation.

Hot head or mixed fuel you really need to make sure you are not breathing torch burning gases.
They do real damage to human bodies and can build up over time.
Add to the torch fumes the kinds of materials used to give glass its colors that turn into gas as the glass melts and you can harm your health in ways that can not be fixed.

We have lots of detailed discussions about ventilation in the safety threads as well as pictures in some of the studio threads to help you set up good, safe air flow practices.
Old 2016-12-02, 3:56am

The Bethlehem Alpha is a good little torch too. Its no powerhouse, has a nice soft flame.

I got the wife an Alpha and ran it on an oxycon and natural gas but it does great on propane.
Old 2016-12-02, 5:45am
Slogan Challenged...

Ditto on the alpha. I find it is so reliable and easy to do details with. Radiant heat is not always what I like but if you are not looking at larger beads then that should not trouble you. It does great on oxycons.

I will also echo what Phil said. Please make sure you have adequate venting. It is absolutely something to work out. I'm sure it is doable in your shed but it may take a little work. I would suggest posting pics of your current set up in one of the safety threads and asking for some advice. Shawnette has some good tips on her page, too. She is the queen of thrift and saved a lot of money by doing it herself. Sorry, I don't have the link but she is a member here.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2016-12-02, 8:28am

Hi guys, thanks for the advice and warnings! I think I will go with the alpha.

When I say shed, maybe I gave you all the wrong idea. It's more of a stand alone garage, I always have the door open (big garage door, cuz I love to freeze my buns off) with a small fan behind me pushing fumes out the open window in front of me. It probably is far from ideal, but it was basically a free setup to start with Hubby wanted to see if I would stick with this hobby before investing in me haha. We know that if we were to put in a AC so I could work year round on it, we would need to build a way of extraction. We have been married 18years so he's moved beyond the "I'm gonna kill that &$#!&" stage and into the "Oh ok (sigh)" stage, so I'm pretty sure he would make me keep the door open or put the extraction fan in if I were working in a enclosed area.

So now I get to do some Christmas shopping for ME, love it.
Thanks all who gave me advice!
Old 2016-12-12, 3:45pm

So I got my Bethlehem Alpha. WOW! Love it. I have only just made a few drippy type beads this evening since it's still too warm outdoors to do much torching. But I'm really looking forward to our cool days!

I had some 10-12mm rods I bought to use as punties, but I actually was using them to encase! I was amazed at how quickly they melted and how easy encasing was with them. Love the Alpha!
Thanks for recommending it.
Old 2016-12-12, 6:08pm

For the price the Alpha is sweet, nice knobs,nice base, well made, the best hose connections.

Glad you like it.
Old 2016-12-20, 5:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by songlake View Post
Hi guys, thanks for the advice and warnings! I think I will go with the alpha.

When I say shed, maybe I gave you all the wrong idea. It's more of a stand alone garage, I always have the door open (big garage door, cuz I love to freeze my buns off) with a small fan behind me pushing fumes out the open window in front of me. It probably is far from ideal, but it was basically a free setup to start with Hubby wanted to see if I would stick with this hobby before investing in me haha. We know that if we were to put in a AC so I could work year round on it, we would need to build a way of extraction. We have been married 18years so he's moved beyond the "I'm gonna kill that &$#!&" stage and into the "Oh ok (sigh)" stage, so I'm pretty sure he would make me keep the door open or put the extraction fan in if I were working in a enclosed area.

So now I get to do some Christmas shopping for ME, love it.
Thanks all who gave me advice!
That ventilation setup is not ok. It's your health, so do what you want, but I wouldn't work with it, as I've seen many much more knowledgeable people than myself advise against such.
Old 2016-12-20, 10:29am
Phill

I will second Dusty's thoughts on the ventilation.

A box fan is no match against the wind out side pushing back against it.

And the winds is mostly unpredictable.

It is your health and your decision but if you get as addicted to molten glass as I am you could put your health at serious risk breathing and touching combustion products as well as a lot of hazardous minerals used to color the glass that get vaporized in the flame and then settle out of the air as dust that gets everywhere that then gets on your hands before you go make lunch.

End of soap box rant.