LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-02-21, 5:26pm

Default torch comparison?

Hi,
there seem to be a lot of questions about torches, particularly for people who want to upgrade from a HH (I am one of them!)

I have started a Google Doc, to organise information about entry level torches, particularly those under $300. Please note that I am NOT an expert on torches, I just wanted a place where people can look up, and add information about torches in one place. I have entered some information that was readily accessible online, but please feel free to add or change anything you want: categories, notes about your experiences with a torch, or any other bits you feel would be useful to someone searching for this information.

There are people here who have such a lot of expertise and that can be really useful for us newbies, so a HUGE THANKYOU to anyone who would like to contribute to this collaboration.

Here is the link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Xc&usp=sharing

Cheers
Lisa
Old 2013-02-21, 6:33pm
....uhm...

This is a wonderful idea!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-02-22, 8:16pm
offically down under

great idea Lisa.

I've used a minor and thought that was pretty good for my needs. I was able to swap the minor for a cricket and I'm so glad I did. While they are both pretty similar, I'm able to get a hotter flame with the cricket since it's so fuel efficient.

Old 2013-03-29, 12:26am

Over the years i have used many different torches. The first one was a torch that used gas, oxygen an city gas named Koye. Another was a torch from Arnold in Germany also using air,gas and oxygen. In the late sixties a National gas oxygen very noisy torch another the Carlisle CC torch without water cooling. Later using a HotHead (great novice torch) priced at dollars 40) and quickly moving to GTT cricket and and Bobcat. If you want to save money some hardware stores carry the MAG torch MT245C.
-------
Old 2013-04-05, 10:48am
one day at a time

I love the GTT torches, and I have the Bobcat. It's plenty hot for small to medium sized boro beads, and the latest model of the Bobcat is even better. I do love my torch, but I'm downgrading (if that's what to call it) to a Minor, because I want less heat. I also still use my HH, but can't right now until I get set up with a large propylene tank from the local welding shop. If they will agree to do it.
Old 2013-04-16, 5:38pm

I added to the mega minor I was able to do some reasonable boro work with it
marbles, sculptural and small blown pieces as well as beads

#C-151