Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-04-15, 6:08pm

Default torch help

I've been taking lessons for a couple weeks now and want to buy my first torch. My teacher has a nortel major/minor that he wants me to buy from him but I dont know much about this torch.. I was really looking at the gtt bobcat or lynx... Could anyone give me some advice on these torches?
Old 2013-04-15, 6:59pm

I have a grit cricket and it is one hot little torch. If I was to do it again I would probably get a bobcat for just about the same money. At the time I had one concentrator and wasn't sure what it would do.

Now I am wanting a scorpion with the 2 concentrators I have. I would say a lynx but I am not sure I have the pressure I would like to have and still get a good oxidizing flame for boro.

Gtt gets my vote for now

Chuck
Old 2013-04-15, 7:50pm
Dakine glass man

GTT are better hotter torches hands down, but the triple mix can kind of be confusing for a beginner, how much is he charging you for his nortel? what is your overall torch budget?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2013-04-15, 11:06pm
Salt Box Beads

How do plan on powering it?, Concentrators? Tanked oxy? Always check the rate a torch consumes oxygen so you will know what you need to run it properly. Some torches are oxy hogs and take lots of oxygen which can be a real pain to supply of you don't have deep pockets.
Old 2013-04-15, 11:10pm
Dakine glass man

Also what do you want to make?

Old 2013-04-16, 11:15am

Im going with tanked oxy since I have a supplier close.. Currently working on beads and small stuff would like to work with boro too.. The nortel he wants to charge me 200 for but the bobcat is almost the same price and brand new
Old 2013-04-16, 11:46am

is the torch a major minor or a mega minor? the mega minor and the bobcat are very similar torches both are 7 port torches. and both are similar in price
the major minor is a five port torch stacked on a 64 port torch which retails for 390
I prefer GTT torches hands down but the major minor will have a much broader range of what you can do from beads in both boro and soft glass to marbles and tubing work
many people do not care for the big square flame of the major torch and it is also a big fluffy flame instead of a penetrating flame. the Major minor is more like a gtt two stage torch like a scorpion or sidewinder which are GTT non triple mix torches though the major is much bigger than the outer fire of either of those.

I stacked my GTT Cheetah over a nortel major so I could do larger tubing work

#C-151
Old 2013-04-16, 1:38pm

you can pick up a used minor for $100 anywhere if your going to do any boro get a lynx. worth the xtra money. you can melt pretty big boro on it. I loved my minor forever. not hot enough for me now.

Old 2013-04-16, 6:06pm

yes its a major/minor. I want to be able to do everything from marbles to beads hard and soft glass as well as tubing .. I am in love with this form of art and want to get the best torch that will allow me some flexibilty..
Old 2013-04-16, 6:42pm
one day at a time

Get the Bobcat. I have had mine for 7 years and I love it! The Bobcats in production now are even better because they have been redesigned.
Old 2013-04-16, 7:17pm
Dakine glass man

Major minor meaning it has the big torch in bottom and the small on top correct? If so $200 is a darn good deal as long as its in good condition. You will not grow out of that torch for a while, and when you do you will get every penny back on a resale. Once you have your chops built up, upgrade to a gtt. Scorpion, sidewinder, or phantoms can be career torches. Also buying the torh your instructor is offering you can go a long way as far as building mutual respect and haveing a smooth working environment.
My advice is to buy his major/minor.

Old 2013-04-16, 7:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckb32 View Post
yes its a major/minor. I want to be able to do everything from marbles to beads hard and soft glass as well as tubing .. I am in love with this form of art and want to get the best torch that will allow me some flexibilty..
at the price this will give you the greatest size range however the mid range work in this torch may be difficult as you only have two flames sizes small and really big.
as a starter torch I think you may enjoy working on the bobcat, get your basic skills down pat then move up in torch size.
the other thing to think about is if you may get into the larger gtt torches in the future most have the lynx at the center so starting on a lynx you will always know how to work the center flame.
the lynx and bobcat are both 7 port torches so they will be similar in heat but the triple mix is a much more versatile flame.
one last thing, I find a single torch or a two stage torch more comfortable to work over than stacked torches, I recently had to unstack mine temporarily because of a hip pain issue.

No matter which way you jump as far as torches go you should have fun, get the torch that appeals to you the most and melt some glass the great thing is torches have great resale value especially GTT ones

#C-151
Old 2013-04-16, 7:30pm

oh by the way the flame in my shop avatar is the major

#C-151