Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Old 2014-12-12, 10:51am

Default Goddesses on a cricket?

Okay..the title is a bit silly but 'Newbie torch questions' sounded a bit lame.

I am currently on a HH with #1 MAPP canisters. I looked at upgrading to a bulk tank in my location and by the time I get the chemtane tank, hoses, business license (the welding company requires you have one) etc. it ends up being about $200. So, I decided that I might as well plan to go directly to prop/oxy which I think isn't that much more for an initial setup. And given the temps predicted for next week, I'll have some time to save up.

I've read every thread I can find on here...and I like the sound of the Cricket b/c low oxy consumption, can be run on a small concentrator, and its economical and is hotter than my HH.

Right now I make beads in soft glass, and I definitely see myself continuing that since I also metalsmith and wire weave. However, one of my long-term goals is to make small soft glass sculpture specifically goddesses (and fish, and maybe even dragons...)

So for those of you on a cricket, what are your thoughts on using it for small sculptural pieces?

Oh, and also...can anyone give a good comparison between a Bobcat and a Cricket? They are very similarly priced, made by the same company ...should I just spring for the slightly larger torch?

Thanks.
Old 2014-12-12, 11:52am
We are all meant to shine

I worked for years on the hot head and when I made the switch to the cricket was very pleased with the transition. I however, make the smaller beads and have recently had the inclination to make marbles and larger items. Hindsight being 20/20 I would probably have gone for the bobcat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-12-12, 2:31pm
Alaska Boro

The Cricket will run on one 5 psi 5 lpm concentrator. For best performance use two 5 lpm concentrators.

The nice part when using the Cricket, is that it is the center fire for the Scorpion. Thus there is less of a learning curve if upgrading from the Cricket to the Scorpion. The Scorpion works well on three 5 lpm concentrators and has the benefit of more firepower if needed. Have made one inch boro marbles with the Scorpion without issue.
Old 2014-12-12, 2:51pm

I have a cricket, and am pretty pleased with it. Largest beads I have made have been thin 4 inch cilinder beads. I have also made some marbles, but smaller than an inch. I would think you could do small sculpture, but you do have to be waving it into the flame quite often. The flame on a cricket is not very wide. I use a 5lpm concentrator.
Old 2014-12-12, 3:24pm

Thanks everyone!
Old 2014-12-12, 6:33pm

I have a bobcat and make 1-1/4 inch marbles.

Its been a good torch.
Old 2014-12-16, 12:55am
Naysayer

I made 1.5 inch boro marbles and very large beads on a cricket with 5lpm for about 5 years, then I went to a 10lpm... I'm now on 2 10lpms just because I wanted more heat to work even faster lol. It now burns through mandrels easy , for me personally I was going to upgrade but I don't see needing to. My small beads are 1 inch, I work both boro and soft, so for sure it will do sculpture.
Old 2014-12-21, 8:09am

I've made 2 inch long very lush goddesses on my minor.
Old 2014-12-21, 8:18am

Betsy---that's awesome. I've added the alpha to my list too --esp as the Bobcat/Crickets aren't always in stock.
Now I just need to save up enough for everything!