Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2010-03-12, 8:49am
ManBearPig

Default Anyone good with web site forms?

My wife volunteered me to set up a web site for her high school class reunion group for people to be able to register for the reunion, pick what they are having for dinner, etc. I've done many, many web sites, but setting up forms are not my strong suit. I know the basics, but they want something a little more advanced, which is why I'm looking for help. These are the things they want that I don't know how to do...

1. They want to have the data submitted with the form to be written to a database or spreadsheet automatically
2. Once the person fills out the form and submits it, it should take you to a PayPal page so that the person can pay their registration fee
3. They want people to be able to bring a guest, and if the person selects more than one person on the form, it should also capture info for the second person and should capture whatever they select as their meal request

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-03-12, 9:00am
Experimentalist

I use www.wufoo.com

Old 2010-03-12, 9:12am
ManBearPig

We don't want to have advertisements and stuff like that. I know that what I'm looking for is easy enough to do. It's all in the configuration of the form. I just have never done it...

Old 2010-03-12, 9:53am
Experimentalist

I don't have advertising on my wufoo forms.

Old 2010-03-12, 10:27am
ManBearPig

In the FAQ it says that they will put their advertisements on the forms...

Old 2010-03-12, 10:40am

I'm not sure if it will write information to a database/spreadsheet but Jotform has worked well for me in the past
Old 2010-03-16, 11:15am
sunscreen me baby

Have you checked out e-vite? I think they may do ads but it's pretty slick looking. So slick I didn't notice the ads. or maybe I'm just really good at not seeing them. A relative used it for our family reunion.

http://www.evite.com/

~

Old 2010-03-16, 2:37pm
Catchen' the Sun

e-vite was used for a baby shower that I went to. It was pretty cool.
will send you an email about the rest. too long for here.

SRA # K36 Catchen' the Sun Glass Art

Old 2010-03-21, 9:52pm

Umm .... getting it to write to the database is the sticky part I think. You'll need someone with database expertise.

Not me!

Old 2010-03-24, 7:36am
ManBearPig

I have database expertise. Well, not expertise, but I know enough to do that.

Here's where I stand now...

I set up the database with the required tables.

I set up a form to capture the info I needed, and have it running a PHP script when they click submit. The script inserts the data into the database. I can then retrieve the info via a separate PHP script or by using the PHPMyAdmin function through the web host.

Where I'm stuck now is getting the form to direct the person to PayPal to make their payment. I know how to make the page redirect to PayPal, but I want to have it redirect with the correct payment information already filled in.

Old 2010-03-24, 8:26am
Melting

I would check Paypal's site and see if they have help for that. I know how to pass values to different forms in the same site but that won't help with paypal because it is done by passing the values in the web address.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-03-24, 3:05pm

The easiest way to do it? Create 2 Paypal buttons, one for 1 guest, one for 2 guests. (or more if neccessary). Then display the submitted form info on a confirmation page, along with the appropriate button (cuz you know at that point if its 1 or 2 guests), as well as a cancel or reset button, which would just reload the blank form.

If you don't want to show the buttons, you could simply redirect to the url the button creation tool gives you after the form is submitted.

This is not a robust solution, but if you're doing it for free...

The person who gets the Paypal email should probably have some way to mark each person as paid in the database table, too.

|

Last edited by lavendar420; 2010-03-24 at 3:06pm. Reason: better word