Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2009-11-13, 10:20am
Farewell promises nothing

Default Need Help!!... Studio Businesses please read!

I am required to put together a full business plan for my administration class. I am looking at putting together a glass studio for my hypothetical business... I would really appreciate some insight and feedback on what I should be focusing on.
Old 2009-11-13, 5:22pm

Default Play It Safe

Quote:
I am required to put together a full business plan for my administration class. I am looking at putting together a glass studio for my hypothetical business... I would really appreciate some insight and feedback on what I should be focusing on.
Safety First, while teaching is what a school is about, glass cuts, fire burns and liability is always an issue. Your plans should discuss how safe working with glass is when done correctly.

Having dealt with fire marshals in the past and being the first person to ever have an open torch for making beads in a tent at the Tucson Gem and Mineral show and the first person ever to ask for open torches at the Seattle Center when I was the lead for an ISGB Gathering a very long time ago, I found that safety is the first and most important agenda you need to take care of and to do that you need to be informed and let those in charge and the fire marshall think that you know more than they do,.

Mikey

Frantz Art Glass Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Torch Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2009-11-13, 7:14pm

You can get a lot of help right from your local people like the buidling inspector and fire marshall. However there are really strict codes that have to be met whenyou bring people onto your building and not just one set of them. If building from scratch it is advisable to use an architect so that he can quote each code and show how you met it with your design. I was lucky when I built Tin City Art Glass because I had a building approved for Open Flame already and the ISGB safelty guy behind me to guide me through the codes. This would make an interesting study for your classes as it is not just an ordinary retail type of business. It sure was interesting for me to do in real life!
Good Luck!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-11-14, 12:05am
Farewell promises nothing

This is just a hypothetical business proposal for administrative purposes. Mission Statements, Visions, Corporate Goals,... Organizational Structure, etc.
Old 2009-11-14, 9:35am

There are a lot of example business plans available online, you might be able to find one for a similar business like an art studio or jewelers or something to use as an example.

|
Old 2009-11-14, 10:16am
I'm a lilac!

I would focus on things like:

1. Initial outlay of cash for equipment and how fast you forecast being able to pay for that in sales.

2. Advertising costs and projected increase in business.

3. Overall marketing strategy. Where will you sell?

4. Studio overhead, including rent if applicable.

5. Eventual employees and how they will increase profitability.

Basically, your business plan should show that you've explored all of the expenses and potential pitfalls, and have a plan for 1. paying off your startup expenses, and 2. increasing profits over time. Since this is the document that will be necessary if you ever apply for a business loan, it should be able to convince prospective lenders that your business is a safe bet to lend to.

Old 2009-11-18, 8:47am
Shelarious

Don't forget long and short term goals, either.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.