Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-02-19, 5:15am

Default Double Helix "Patterned Glass"

I received a sample of this but am waiting to try it when I find out what it is. Does anyone know?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-02-19, 6:46am
Life is change. Love it

I've never heard of it. Is a striking glass or a reduction glass?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-02-19, 8:00am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

sounds to me like sheet glass with a double helix pattern, not the brand but the spirals

Old 2010-02-19, 9:18am
maybe tomorrow

I received a little sample of "Patterned Cane #2. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it looks like it could make nice murrini. It doesn't say what glass it is, so not sure if it is striking or reducing, or a combo.

I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Old 2010-02-19, 9:23am

Hi Toni,

I was thinking it might be for murrini, too. I guess I'll chop a few pieces off.

Old 2010-02-19, 9:23am

Oooh, great idea! I'll have to nip some of my juggernaut into murrini.
Old 2010-02-19, 10:03am

You've got my curiosity all piqued now. Photos?

|
Old 2010-02-19, 10:11am
da General

Love to see pics of the cane AND beads made with them, please!

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-02-19, 10:46am
maybe tomorrow

For those of you that ordered when Clio came out, you may actually have received a sample and not realized it. It was a piece about 3" long in a little 2"x3" baggie. It was loose at the bottom of the box, separate from the rods, and I almost didn't see it.

So, if you have your packaging still, go check it out!

Old 2010-02-19, 11:25am
Tweedle Dumb

Ohhh mine looks soo neat. I need to go buy a nipper!

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-02-19, 11:37am

oh man, missed out!! Can't wait to see your pictures!!!!

Old 2010-02-19, 6:54pm
yukue fumei

I got some!
I am going to try it out tonight! I would love to see photos of what everyone's canes look like. I will take a pic of mine and post it too

nagi

Old 2010-02-20, 4:09pm
Corgi Cult Member

I got style number 3, what about everyone else? I cut it into murrini today and made a few trial beads. Hope they look as good coming out of the kiln as going in. Fun stuff!

Old 2010-02-21, 1:53am

Let me go check then...

Old 2010-02-21, 7:55am
Knob Creek Glass

I received #4! I thought I did not have any, because it was not in the bottom of the box. It was inside the wrapper with the glass. Thank you Double Helix.
Old 2010-02-21, 8:52am
Creatrixie

Where 'da pictures at?!?

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2010-02-21, 9:44am

Heres the pictures of the cane. I received #2 style.
I haven't tried it yet.

Thank you Double Helix!
We need a thread for Clio beads now!
Old 2010-02-21, 11:44am
da General

Thanks for posting the pic, Teena! Can't wait to see what you all make with it!

There is a thread on Clio:
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154841

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-02-21, 10:28pm
Corgi Cult Member

Fun stuff! I made three beads with the murrini, and they turned out different on each bead. No photos yet, will see what I can do about that. I think #3 has a lot of Echo in it, but I could be mistaken. The outside color is probably Psyche. The cane nipped into slices well too. I think DH has a winner!

Old 2010-02-21, 11:55pm
Creatrixie

Iiiiiinteresting..... Can't wait to see more pics!

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2010-02-22, 11:02am
Corgi Cult Member

DH's Patterned Cane - Design #3
On a base of dark ivory and reduced Gaia. Leaves are reduced Triton. This is a large + spree.

Old 2010-02-22, 11:25am

Wowzers..that's fun!! <grumbling under breath for missing freebie...> Gorgeous Bead!!!
Old 2010-02-22, 1:19pm
Corgi Cult Member

OK, I've worked way too long on these photos and I'm still not satisfied, but I have to leave soon, so here goes:
On River Rock with small amount of DH-317 shards (front):

Same bead with the same murrini (back):

On base of Silver Brown with any leftover silver stringer sitting on my workbench, reduced: (I'm tired of photographing this bead, at least this one doesn't show a reflection of my kitchen!)

Old 2010-02-22, 1:25pm
I speak Murrini!

Oooo, how cool is THAT!?! From a hard-core murrini maker, you guys are lucky And, of course, I'm green with jealousy! Just kiddin' - but still, that's pretty neat! Love the "toothy-cog" look!

Thanks for showing!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-02-22, 1:30pm
Creatrixie

Talking Wowzers

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post
On River Rock with small amount of DH-317 shards (front):

Same bead with the same murrini (back):
OOoh, yum! That is one gorgeous bead!

Keep the nifty pics coming people, they're looking GREAT!

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2010-02-22, 1:30pm
da General

Those are TDF, Kathy! I hope they will start selling them!!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-02-22, 1:52pm
Mad about Glass

Do I have to buy some Clio to get a sample? I have so much CL-360 that I didn't order any Clio!!!

[url]

Old 2010-02-22, 3:55pm
Just Me!

Smile

Oh WOW! I can't wait to try mine. Thanks for sharing........Val
Old 2010-02-22, 3:58pm
da General

Jenn - the first 25 people who purchased Clio when it was released last Monday got the gifts. I am with you - didn't get any since I have a lot of the CL series still and missed out!

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-02-23, 9:20pm

Hi!
I finally had a chance to try out the patterned cane #1 that I got from DH. Now, this is mainly to show you the pattern that it is. I did get some pretty MOP Blue color (second pict.) Also, when I look down the rod it has a clear center. Looking at the rod from the side it looks alot like the photo above from Teena's post. Wish I could get some really pretty colors - I think I work to long in the flame???!!

Kristy