The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-05-11, 9:37am
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Another Way To Store Frit

Hey all, I thought I would share this.

I have been wracking my brain for a few years now trying to figure out the perfect way to store my frit. There was a lot to consider. I have purchased many different containers. My frit has moved around alot, haha.

Anyways, I have finally settled into a system and I LOVE it! I use frit every day so it had to be efficient.

Attaching pictures so you can get a good idea. These containers were purchased at Canadian Tire here in Vancouver, Canada. There are sixty drawers. They do come with some dividers but those just went in the garbage. Each drawer contains one frit with the corresponding lablel. I just pull out the drawer I need, pour some onto my marver and easily pour back in . No mess whatsover. No hunting down frit as they are in order alphabetically or numbered. The drawers will also hold as little or as much as you want. I am going to purchase some heavy card stock or cut some boxes up here to cover up the back to keep the lint out. You may think this system would be messy but it is quite the opposite. I have worked with this for a few days to test it out before posting here. You have the option of hanging these on the wall but I am keeping mine on a sturdy table for now until I move. I used these containers for years for my beads but it finally dawned on me that they would help me with the frit storage.

I hope this helps someone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-05-11, 9:44am

You are brilliant!
Old 2011-05-11, 9:46am

Fritlicious!!!!

You are so lucky to have all that frit.

I store my bottles of frit upside down, that is all six bottles. I can see the frit through the clear bottom.

But if I had all that frit I would definitely get an organizer.

What's your favourite frit?

Ideas wouldn't work unless you do.
Old 2011-05-11, 9:53am
Jacqueline Parkes

When it comes to frit blends, Beadgoodies, her blends are wonderful. I am now collecting frit colors from Kugler and Reichenbach as well.

Old 2011-05-11, 9:59am
put a bird on it

Very cool & beautiful, too!
Old 2011-05-11, 10:25am

That's a very cool idea Jacqueline!

Thanks so much for sharing it!
Old 2011-05-11, 10:26am
Who me?

Awesome-ness!
Old 2011-05-11, 10:32am
Jacqueline Parkes

I have four of these and I need six more LOL

Yes I am a frit ho.

Old 2011-05-11, 10:56am
sunscreen me baby

Oh wow, I love this! I have all sorts of random recycled spice jars and baby food jars. It drives me nuts trying to find things. Thank you so much for sharing. I feel a trip to Lowes coming over me

~

Old 2011-05-11, 11:04am
Jacqueline Parkes

Hehe glad you like it Suzy. I am making beads with frit today and my life is sooooooo much easier.

Old 2011-05-11, 11:18am

The only thing i would worry about is the glass dust
from the open containers.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripzz
Old 2011-05-11, 11:19am

Oh that is dandy. I like Beadgoodies too.
Old 2011-05-11, 11:20am
Jacqueline Parkes

I will be covering up the back and there is no dust when the drawers are closed, really no different from jars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkanokaren View Post
The only thing i would worry about is the glass dust
from the open containers.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripzz

Old 2011-05-11, 11:21am
Jacqueline Parkes

Her frit does exactly what it should. She has a magic touch when it comes to blending the glasses. They spread beautifully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Oh that is dandy. I like Beadgoodies too.

Old 2011-05-11, 11:28am
Live and Let Live

That looks sweet! My luck, I'd tip one over and have a whopper of a 'blend' on my hands. Don't try that... 'kay?

Old 2011-05-11, 11:38am
Mr Brutus RIP

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
I am now collecting frit colors from Kugler and Reichenbach as well.
Great idea, I'd have to attach it or my 2yo would surely bring it down!! LOL

Old 2011-05-11, 11:54am
Master Lurker

I love this!! This would clear up so much space and not having to pile all of those little jars and bags on top of each other might make it easier to see what you actually have!

Old 2011-05-11, 12:39pm
Born Facing Left

Brilliant. I use a few of those containers for silver findings and doodads; Canadian Tire had the 60 drawer units on a few years ago for 9.99, I bought 4 of them!

Old 2011-05-11, 12:42pm

Wow that is a really good idea! I have bunches of baby food jars and baggies. I wish I had that much frit!
Old 2011-05-11, 12:55pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Woah you got a good deal as they are $30 now. I too purchased these for jewelry parts.

One note, there is a tiny hole in each drawer. I just put a small sticker over it before filling the drawers with frit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
Brilliant. I use a few of those containers for silver findings and doodads; Canadian Tire had the 60 drawer units on a few years ago for 9.99, I bought 4 of them!

Old 2011-05-11, 12:56pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Oh ya I am being very careful. IN all the years I had jewelry parts in them I never spilled. They are quite safe. I guess if you had animals or children around you would want to be more careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
That looks sweet! My luck, I'd tip one over and have a whopper of a 'blend' on my hands. Don't try that... 'kay?

Old 2011-05-11, 1:00pm

Quote:
When it comes to frit blends, Beadgoodies, her blends are wonderful. I am now collecting frit colors from Kugler and Reichenbach as well.
Thank you for the connection. I checked out Beadgoodies and couldn't stop my fingers from placing an order to try her sample pack. Now I just have to wait patiently for it to arrive....sit on hands, twiddle thumbs, check mailbox, and dream of the beads that will come.

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2011-05-11, 1:02pm
Entropy increasing....

Let me just say that it looks really nice. Very neat and organized. But in the Ring of Fire is it a good idea to have frit in open things like that? I would be a bit scared of having a huge pile of mixed up frit on the floor of my garage after and earthquake. lol
Old 2011-05-11, 1:18pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I have used these containers for 13 years and not one spill but if you dont like it, that is fine too. I just thought someone may benefit from this.

I

LOVE

IT

Old 2011-05-11, 2:38pm

Thanks, I just emptied one of these of jewelry findings, didn't have a plan as yet. Now I do. Am just getting started and have some old frit from the enamel on copper beads of years gone by. It will be a good start, all of you have such wonderful beads, it is so much fun to look at your beads and read your posts. Thanks it is so encouraging. Polly
Old 2011-05-11, 3:14pm
I need more boro stuff

That is neat idea. Thanks for sharing. I have plenty frits but rarely use them.

Old 2011-05-11, 7:49pm

Quote:
I have used these containers for 13 years and not one spill but if you dont like it, that is fine too. I just thought someone may benefit from this.

I

LOVE

IT

Great idea...thanks for sharing
Old 2011-05-11, 8:01pm
I like to melt things

Does that mean you want me to buy all those little jars back

It looks great and it does seem like it would make things easier. I like my jars a lot, but lazy me sees immediate benefit in not having to do all.that.lid.unscrewing.

Seriously though... how many rooms are you going to need for your studio at that rate of frit accumulation?

Thank you for sharing it!

-
-
Old 2011-05-12, 3:49am
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
Seriously though... how many rooms are you going to need for your studio at that rate of frit accumulation?
!
Vertical space, baby!!!

Old 2011-05-12, 5:52am

yes, pretty but I would worry about a tumble in my house!

I have less frit and have them in altoids tins which while they need to be labelled, are metal and I can roll in the tin without melting.

Laurie