No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-10-05, 7:00pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Default OxyCon Issues

I am running a 5L Invacare XL Platinum. I have been running it with my Cricket for the last two months. Things have been going great until a couple of weeks ago.

Until a week ago I had been running the oxycon with the flow meter wide open and the O2 on my torch about 1/2 way open. The little ball in the flow meter would dance well above the 5 mark and everything ran smoothly and I would adjust my flame as needed.

Now, I can barely turn the O2 on at my torch without seting off the alarm on the oxycon. Also, my torch candles will lengthen and shorten on their own and I have had to use the cleaning wires in it twice in the last three torching sessions.

I have dusted and cleaned the filters and the area around my oxycon remains clean and open so as not to disturb the airflow. The only thing that has changed, and this could be significant, is I now have my kiln hooked up. I ran my torch two nights ago for an hour and a half with out my kiln running and there were no problems, no alarms. However, I kept my oxycon around 3.5L the whole time. But there was no mysterious candle shortening and lengthening. And I did not have to clean out my torch with the wires. I think the oxycon not running correctly is making my torch get sooty.

I am a little worried. My oxycon only has just over 5000 hours on it. Could my kiln be sucking up power that is making my oxycon run wonky?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 2011-10-05, 7:55pm
Student!

My oxycon started acting up in a similar manner a couple of weeks ago. If I took off the foamish filter in back it worked for a bit but then acted up again.

My DH thinks I caused my own problem by dusting my work area in the corner of the basement because everything was fine until I noticed a pile of dust and dusted (i.e. pushed it out of the way) rather than using the shop vac.

I ordered and replaced the internal bacteria filter (enclosed in a plastic box) and have had no problems since. The filter in it was pretty nasty.

I have a Devilbiss 5lpm concentrator with just over 7,500 hours on it and I guess it was time to replace it. My other oxycon had an older filter as well but stilll seems to be fine...for now at just over 2,500 hours.

I'm not sure I understand how your kiln could be affecting the operation of your oxycon unless you think the heat from it is somehow interfering with the availability of oxygen near you. My kiln is 50 ft away from me at the other end of my basement so I don't have the same type of issue.

Cheryl

Last edited by clh; 2011-10-05 at 8:00pm.
Old 2011-10-05, 8:17pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clh View Post
My oxycon started acting up in a similar manner a couple of weeks ago. If I took off the foamish filter in back it worked for a bit but then acted up again.

My DH thinks I caused my own problem by dusting my work area in the corner of the basement because everything was fine until I noticed a pile of dust and dusted (i.e. pushed it out of the way) rather than using the shop vac.

I ordered and replaced the internal bacteria filter (enclosed in a plastic box) and have had no problems since. The filter in it was pretty nasty.

I have a Devilbiss 5lpm concentrator with just over 7,500 hours on it and I guess it was time to replace it. My other oxycon had an older filter as well but stilll seems to be fine...for now at just over 2,500 hours.

I'm not sure I understand how your kiln could be affecting the operation of your oxycon unless you think the heat from it is somehow interfering with the availability of oxygen near you. My kiln is 50 ft away from me at the other end of my basement so I don't have the same type of issue.

Cheryl
Was the bacteria filter expensive? I will order a new one and see if that works. Thanks!

As far as my kiln & oxycon....
They are not in the same outlet but are plugged in the same room. I have noticed that since my kiln has been here and running it seems to be a little bit of a power hog. I have noticed that when everything is running at the same time, whenever the kiln clicks the lights in the entire house get dim and then after a little bit come back up. I was just wondering if that could be making the oxycon run weird.
Old 2011-10-05, 8:18pm

you need to take your kiln and oxycon off the same breaker. your kiln should be on its own breaker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-10-05, 8:26pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledragonfly View Post
you need to take your kiln and oxycon off the same breaker. your kiln should be on its own breaker.
Okay, I'll do that. Thanks!
Old 2011-10-05, 8:31pm
Student!

the bacteria filter was part of a set I purchased for $30 on ebay. Since then I have found them for $12 just for the one filter.

I agree with Autumn that you should have the kiln and the oxycon on separate breakers. With the exhaust fan and the oxycon, the kiln would have blown the circuit. That's why it is 50 ft away from my work area. Besides, I get a bit of exercise this way running beads to my kiln...
Old 2011-10-06, 3:41am
Cat herder

I removed the bacteria filter from my oxycon. It serves no purpose unless you're actually using the oxycon for medical reasons.

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-10-06, 3:50am
Live and Let Live

I believe too that you're not supposed to have the flow meter set at / above the max. If the meter goes to 5, a setting of 4.5 is best for oxy purity.

Old 2011-10-06, 4:49am

What Lisa said.....no higher than 4.5.
The higher the flow meter setting, the lower the purity.
Old 2011-10-06, 6:10am
Now part of the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledragonfly View Post
^^This if your lights are dimming then the kiln is causing a brownout condition, if your oxycon is on the same circuit it could harm the compressor motor in the oxycon. You should have a line run just for your kiln. My kiln plugs into the same outlet as the central vac. I unplug the central vac while the kiln is on.
Old 2011-10-06, 6:33am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Thank you all for the info! I am going to fix all of this up today!
Old 2011-10-07, 9:57am

My kiln and oxy-con are plugged into the same outlet and I have had no problems with either.
I've changed the filter and it's run better.
Old 2011-10-07, 11:15am
Loving learning

I also have my oxy set at 4.5 after doing reading here, and my oxygen is open full at the torch (unless I mess up & forget to open the knob to full after closing it down while lighting the flame). My flame is fine tuned by adjusting my propane.

I have a chili pepper, and it's on the same leg as my torch, AC on a different leg. My building was wired to my requirements though.
Old 2011-10-07, 11:48am
Triumphantly Knit!

Hey monica, that's so frustrating. my lights dim every time my kiln clicks on and off which is like every few seconds.

I don't know about oxy cons, yet, hopefully soon, fingers crossed. I would think that the bacteria filter isn't necessary for non medical use, but I would ask someone who knows like Kim or Jack.

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-10-07, 1:37pm
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
I removed the bacteria filter from my oxycon. It serves no purpose unless you're actually using the oxycon for medical reasons.
Do you have the outer filter removed also? I just realized that when I bought mine, they didn't have one installed there.
Old 2011-10-07, 2:47pm
Certified Thread Killer

I'm having the same candle problem with my AirSep Intensity 8LPM and a Mega Minor. Now lets say…hypothetically…just in case, you know, I can't get the plastic cover back on the concentrator just in case I took it off…

Could the oxycon be run without the cover? Or is that a bad thing?

It's been suggested that I run the oxycon without the outer casing in place. If the cleanliness of the foamy filter on the back is so important, then I would assume it's filtering out the big chunks. Operating the machine without the big chunk filter in place would be bad…right? Anyone?
Old 2011-10-15, 4:28pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

I haven't torched in over a week because of the power issues I was having. We have done some trouble shooting and have gone through all the circuits in the house and finally found one that is going to work. Yay! Thanks for all the helpful advice. Now I have to go and reset all the clocks. LOL
Old 2011-10-16, 7:10am

Does a bigger oxycon draw more power?
Old 2011-10-16, 10:13am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Keep in mind that lights dimming down is a dangerous condition for the things plugged into the circuit. Dimming down means that some unit is drawing the voltage down. When the voltage goes down the amperage goes up to try to compensate. if the amperage goes too high the unit can burn up. Hopefully the circuit breaker goes before that happens. But some circuits are set up for higher than normal current and the extra amps on the unit can burn it out before enough amps flow in the breaker to trip it. TAKE CARE guys.

ETA mdimatteo, yes a bigger machine will require more amperage, which is somewhat different from power but the answer is yes.