Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-12-28, 7:39am

Default "Silver" glass going green

I know there has been discussion on the silver rich glasses going green when encased, especially when encased with Aether. So, I have been using Moretti Super Clear 8-9 mm rods and was getting consistent result, but now that it is winter it seems that when I encase beads made with Triton, Kronos, Electra, Nyx, etc. they go in the kiln looking great and come out a murky puke green.
I have started to use charcoal in my kiln and the only difference in my bead making is that the furnances to heat the house are running while I am working. (my torch uses Natural Gas, same as the furnaces)
I found some old rods of Diamond Clear (probably they are from 5 years ago) and when I used them to encase beads came out great.
Anyone else getting green with their Moretti clear????
Any thoughts on how to avoid the icky green are much appreciated.
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mini cc, ng, & 2 concentrators
Old 2010-12-28, 8:47am
Lampworkaholic!

Before and after pictures would be helpful ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-12-28, 8:54am
Peerless Thread Killer

I had to lower my annealing temp for silver glass. When I had it up at 960, the colors would turn dull and muddy. I have a separate annealing schedule at 940 for silver glass.

Old 2010-12-28, 12:26pm

Default silver glass goes green

Just tried to take pictures of the beads I pulled out of the kiln and of course both batteries for the camera are dead. I have lowered my annealling temp to 940 (Jen-Ken kiln). I can see iridescent color on the edges of the beads where there is no clear. Batteries are charging, so will try to post pictures by tomorrow.
Thanks
Kris

Old 2010-12-29, 10:03am

Default silver glass goes green

Here is a picture of some of the results of the silver glass going green. Sorry about the quality, I am not very experienced with fixing images.
The front left small bead has a twisty of triton, psych, & kronos, encased with moretti super clear. Middle front is elektra (you can see the iridescent on the edge of the whole) encased in super clear, bead is a very muddy green. The front right I think was Triton, it went in the kiln a beautiful blue came out green. Back row left has triton, psych, etc., in some places you can see that there is still iridescent color, but the clear again causes green. The 2 "good" beads in the back are sasha in the center and clio, both encased with precision diamond clear.

Any thoughts on how to stop the green results are appreciated.
Thanks
Kris

Old 2010-12-29, 10:07am
Life is change. Love it

It's your encasing glass. Any changes in batches seem to produce different results. I have to keep changing clears all the time to avoid cracking/green/bubbling issues. Drives me bat shit crazy

Old 2010-12-29, 11:01am
Lampworkaholic!

Not possible that it is Aether?

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-12-29, 11:12am

Definitely not Aether, I keep that wrapped and in a separate place, found out after purchasing 4 pounds that it does not play well with the other DH glasses.
Kris

Old 2011-01-02, 12:47pm

Does Aether make it turn green? I used Aether when I first got some and all my clio beads turned green. They were annealed in a friends kiln and she messed up and let the thing run all night, so they soaked at 945 overnight. The green heart on top is encased with Aether and the single donut bead is too.

I got a bluebird kiln for christmas, and did a test of clio last night and encased the heart bead above with Vetro and it went green on me. (The green heart on the mandrel.) The single bead next to it is from the green Aether batch.

However, the pinkish lentel is also clio from my new kiln, same batch as the green heart on mandrel, but I encased with CIM. the other two are fire lotus.

Is it the clear? Is it Aether? Is it my annealing temp? I was so excited to take my beads out of the kiln, I didn't notice which beads were where in the kiln. Someone suggested it can make a difference where they are in the kiln. Cept, the elements in my kiln are recessed in the top, so I don't think it matters. does it?

What is the proper annealing temp for silver glass? I just looked on Double Helix site and I can't find the annealing temp info. It use to be there? Just striking info and reducing info. Thanks for any suggestions or offerings.

ps. I annealed my beads at 950 because the door was ajar on the bluebird and the temp was fluctuating a bit. does that matter?

Ann
Old 2011-01-03, 8:27am

Default Aether and Silver glasses

Check out the thread for Silver Glass exchange

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...+encase&page=7

There is a discussion on the effects using Aether vs other clears for encasing.

Aether can cast a green hue on silver glasses. I find that the effect can be more or less depending on the amount of heat used when melting your encasement

E-Bay:

Old 2011-01-03, 9:22am
RAH!

My encased DH glass all goes green when I have too much gas in the flame mixture (on a hot head). Its also more likely to happen when its cold (no idea why). I can only use DH in a decent manner in the middle of summer!

(Now with stock! And useful photography!)
Old 2011-01-03, 9:25am
Bead maker and bead buyer

Lauscha clear can also cause those greens, like Aether.
Old 2011-01-03, 1:02pm

Thanks Darlene!! that post says it all for me. Maybe I grabbed the Aether instead of the Vetro. Because the other lentil from the same session was just fine, and I KNOW that was CIM. I'm glad that it's not me and the new kiln.

Ann