Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-15, 9:42am

Cool ?? Tumbling beads to etch

Cuppla Quick questions. I wanted to forego using chemicals whenever possible, so I have been tumbling beads to etch them. This week I put in some new ribbed beads, and the etch only happens on the high side of the beads and not down in the crevasses. I added small seed beads to the mix to help, but that didn't work.

Any ideas that would save me from using etch-all?

Also, I have not come up with an efficient way to save the etching material. It is so fine that it stays in suspension and doesn't settle out, so draining off the water and saving the sludge doesn't happen. The matl. is so fine it goes right thru 2 coffee filters. I'd love to reuse the material if I could, and yes, I know, I am cheap...though I prefer to call it frugal!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2011-03-15, 11:20am
A True Woofer

What number grit (I'm not sure if that's the right word - it would be if you were using sandpaper, not sure it's the same word) are you using?

I would experiment with also going longer, more grit, finer grit etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-15, 1:57pm

You could make it a design feature - that's something that you *can't* do easily with etch-all, and some people really like the effect.

Can't help otherwise I'm afraid - I'm not sure if it'll ever roughen as much in the crevasses as on the surface.

Does your grit not settle at all? I use silicon carbide (180 grit) for cleaning my beads, and most of it settles fairly quickly so you can pour off most of the water and not lose much and then just leave the rest to evaporate. If not, you could pour it into a wide tray so it'd evaporate faster. Or boil it!
But that might not be very efficient...

(ObDisclaimer: not in anything you would use to prepare food)

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-15, 2:10pm
Hummel factory reject

I mix my silicon carbide with distilled water and leave it in the tumbler to use again. Rinse the slurry off of the beads in a small bowl of water and let the s.c. settle to pour back in the tumbler. I use 800 grit but that is a matter of preference. Raised and creased areas do not etch well sorry.... You can use ceramic pyramids but even they don't get in the pesky crevices. Smooth objects etch the best.

Old 2011-03-15, 2:11pm
I'm a lilac!

I've never been able to get beads to etch in crevices using a rock tumbler, no matter what. It can, however, be a great design element, especially with clear-encased beads.

I reuse the grit by straining the beads out and putting the combined fluid and grit back in the tumbler. I reuse the same grit a bunch of times this way, until it breaks down too fine to be useful. I don't mind using dirty fluid, it doesn't hurt anything.

Old 2011-03-15, 3:13pm

I thought of using the same liquid, but won't it get stinky if it sits for a while? I guess I could refrigerate it.

I am using 1000# grit, silicon carbide. The slurry sat overnight, not much settled out. The etched surfaces are like velvet though! Wonder if I can put etch all over the recessed areas for a couple minutes to even the etch? Would be a great design feature, if I planned it that way!!

Old 2011-03-15, 4:17pm
I'm a lilac!

It doesn't really have anything in it that would get stinky... just silicon carbide and glass dust.

Old 2011-03-15, 4:43pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I stick my hand in to get the beads out & reuse the liquid. The liquid doesn't stink but is dark gray from the carbide. I've been using the same liquid for about 2 years. I do have to add to it every so often. You can't tumble etch beads with raised silver wire because it will mess them up.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-03-15, 4:49pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianLampwork View Post
I stick my hand in to get the beads out & reuse the liquid. The liquid doesn't stink but is dark gray from the carbide. I've been using the same liquid for about 2 years. I do have to add to it every so often. You can't tumble etch beads with raised silver wire because it will mess them up.
Yes; it pops the silver right off! I have a lovely bracelet that I made myself from beads with raised wire that I ruined by tumbling.

Old 2011-03-15, 5:34pm
Mad about Glass

What is the ratio of grit to water? I would love to try this.

[url]

Old 2011-03-15, 5:45pm
Entropy increasing....

You could always move to sand blasting them.
Old 2011-03-15, 8:07pm

Kevan, What? More equipment???? I will think on it, I do love new tools!!

In the meantime, I will just save the liquid and reuse it. I think I will go to distilled water, too. I see rust in the water here fairly often.

Thank you, everyone, for helping me think this thru. I will try a quick etch-all on the receses and see if I can fix them. Then, I will plan better! Learning curve, always!!

Old 2011-03-15, 8:09pm

Ekkie, I use about a Tablespoon to about a cup of water. It has worked well in the past. The surface of the bead is much more velvet-like than acid etching.

Old 2011-03-16, 6:08am

I lived in SC for awhile and the water could get stinky in humid summer climate. Just add a drop or 2 of bleach to the water which won't hurt anything.

Andrea
Old 2011-03-16, 6:11am

Si, es bien!!! I figured, stagnant water does that!! And summers are 90-100 percent humidity, all day and night!!

Old 2011-03-16, 7:22am
Crispy Critter

What kind of grit do y'all use and where do you buy it?

Old 2011-03-16, 8:32am
I'm a lilac!

Graded 220 grit from here: http://www.therockshed.com/grit1.html

Old 2011-03-16, 8:52am
T.J. made me do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
You could always move to sand blasting them.
We have a sandblasting business and I can tell you from experience that by the time you get all the grooves etched the ridges are greatly diminished. I use Etch-All and believe me, I have access to any and all sandblasting equipment.

Old 2011-03-16, 8:57am
Crispy Critter

Thanks, Kalera, they've got all sorts of goodies.

Old 2011-03-16, 9:45am
I'm a lilac!

I love that place!

Old 2011-03-16, 11:47am

Kalera, you use 220 grit? That would be substantially heavier than the 1000 grade i have been using...would maybe settle out in the slurry.

Old 2011-03-16, 12:00pm
A True Woofer

I think the 1000 makes the bead so much smoother and softer than a coarser grit, though.

Old 2011-03-16, 12:17pm
I'm a lilac!

I like finer grit for some things, but prefer a more textural finish for most of my beads. I'm pretty sure it's the 220... I long ago lost the label. It's like a fine beach sand.

Old 2011-03-16, 2:43pm
Oh my!

I don't even add water.
Old 2011-03-20, 4:31am
Mad about Glass

Thanks Melodie.

[url]

Old 2011-04-22, 7:25am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I know this thread has probably already solved the problem for Emoon, however I wanted to add, that sandblasting a piece will not give it the silky look, unless you etch of tumble them afterwards. Maybe if you used some finer media to sandblast them with, but usually the sandblasted look like lapped without polishing. Antoher way of getting sandblased the silky look is to oil it. But when talked about jewelry, that is most likely out of the question!
Old 2011-04-22, 9:54am
I'm a lilac!

I use the same grit in my sandblaster as I do in my tumbler, and it gives pretty much the same finish... I do lightly wax all my tumbled and sandblasted pieces.

Old 2011-04-22, 11:19am
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Graded 220 grit from here: http://www.therockshed.com/grit1.html
Great prices. Thanks for the link, I bookmarked it.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2011-04-22, 11:53am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Im dumb, orcourse yes you can also do that with the sandblaster... if you use the really fine grit. I dont use my sandblaster to get the etched results, I use it to grind the glass... there for I use much coarser grit. Ok, I am awake now!
Old 2011-04-24, 10:01am
judejudejude

yesterday i bought a lortone tumbler (model 45C) from our local rock and gem store as well as tumbler pellets (looks like 4ml plastic round beads) and 220 silicone carbide grit. i put about 50-60 fugly boro pendants of all shapes and sizes (largest being about an inch across and about a dozen small hollow tear drop shaped pendants ), 3 tablespoons of the grit and one tub of the plastic beads(about a 1 lb margarine container) and water enough to almost cover the mix. i plugged the tumbler in at 7:30 last night and this morning at 8am i wanted to see what was happening. everyone of them has a silky satin finish. i thought this would take about 2-3 days for boro. i decided to keep them in till this evening to see the difference and then try some soft glass and then some of my nicer boro pendants. i love it and can't wait to see what i will do with the fuglies now. i think the more solid color ones are going to be really nice. i too am worried about the etching liquids and creams but love the effect. the initial cost to me was 175 and probably if i wasn't so impatient i could have found a better price but i am real happy with what it does.