LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-11-30, 1:28pm

Default Using nickle mandrels versus stainless steel?

I looked to see if there was anything on this but couldn't find anything!

Just wondering if you could use mandrels made out of nickle! My DH has some welding rods in the size that I want for mandrels but they are nickle instead of stainless steel. He says they don't conduct heat thru the metal any more than the stainless steel and can withstand higher temps than stainless steel. I put one in the flame for a few minutes to see how high up the mandrel the heat got and it didn't go any higher than on a reg stainless steel mandrel.

Yes they do have flux on them but DH would take that off and yes I could go buy stainless steel rods but being that he already has these and money is short right now - we were wondering if this would work.

Has anyone tried this? Are there any higher concerns about fumes using nickle than stainless? DH is pretty knowledgeable about his metals and seemed to think they would work but being the novice that I am I had never heard of using nickle rods. Thought I would ask the experts here!

Thank you all in advance for your input and advice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LynieG
Old 2012-11-30, 2:11pm

Nickel melts at 2600 F. so that should not be a problem. One thing to be concerned with is that some people are alergic to nickel and will get a rash from continued contact. Look it up on wikipedia under toxicity. I worked in the steel industry for several years and had to leave for this very reason.
Old 2012-11-30, 2:22pm

Thank you but that brings up another question! If I am using bead release on the mandrel - will the nickle fume to the bead?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LynieG
Old 2012-11-30, 2:31pm

Do a search for nickle fumes. Scary stuff. I wouldn't risk it at ALL.

Old 2012-11-30, 4:04pm

Those are a bit more expencive than stainless.
It may be worth looking at prices on eBay and consider selling one to buy the other.
Old 2012-11-30, 4:12pm

Lizard and Rebecca - Thank you - that answered my questions! Just what I was afraid of! Don't need the fumes! That was why I asked!

losthelm - DH usually has them in stainless in the size I want but he is out of them and wondered if the nickel that he had would work! We weren't "too" concerned about the heat because he figured they would work but we "were" wondering if the fumes would contaminate the glass! As to the price - If I need to buy them I am sticking to the stainless! I just didn't want to go buy them if the nickel would work! Hey free is free LOL!

LynieG
Old 2012-11-30, 6:14pm

what size are you looking for? I might have some extra's I can send your way.

Old 2012-11-30, 11:31pm

Depending on the particular alloy, Stainless steel has nickel in it as an alloying ingredient.
I've welded plenty of cast iron/steel casting with "99 nickel" welding rod.
I will add however that the stainless mandrels that are sold for flameworking beads are just cut up TIG welding filler rod. They're usually 36 inches long, and sold by weight. Just go to your local welding supply store, tell them what diameter, and alloy you want and then you can cut it to the length you like best . I make my own mandrels out of 304 stainless, because that's what I already have, and it works fine. I've also made a few up out of coat hanger wire, and they work too, but will probably not hold up too long. and FWIW, melting Glass is much more fun than melting steel.....
Old 2012-12-01, 8:06am

Thank you Levi! Yes DH had a bunch of the tig welding wire that I have used but he is totally out of the size that I wanted for a project I am doing. He DID have that size in the nickel and that was why I was wondering if it would fume the glass with the nickel alloy. I don't usually worry about getting more mandrels cause he USUALLY has them LOL but this time he didn't ! He did come home last night with some more tig stainless so I am good to go again!

Autumn - Thank you for your offer! That is so kind of you! It's what I love about our community! Every one is so willing to share and provide for each other!

Thank you so much for all your help! I appreciate everyones comments and answers!

LynieG
Old 2012-12-02, 2:05pm

No, those are electrodes. According to the post above, you're looking for "TIG welding filler rod." Just tell them you're after stainless steel rods, 3/32" diameter, or whatever it is you want. 304 (a type of stainless steel) works, but I don't know what most people prefer.
Old 2012-12-03, 8:56am

Opppsss Dusty - sorry I meant tig RODS not wire! Sheesh - sometimes I wish I would remember the proper terms/words I want! I know that wire is totolly different than rods!

LynieG
Old 2012-12-03, 10:17am

Aw, don't beat yourself up over it. Rods are only thick/straight wires, as far as I know, but electrodes are used in arc welding, and filler rod is used in tig welding. I don't know what's different, but those electrodes look like they're coated in something. I think you're making it too hard - just ask for what Levi described, "304 stainless steel tig welding filler rod,"in the diameter you want, and they'll know what you mean and won't need a picture. They'll be about 36" long and look like this picture.

Also, after you cut them up, it helps to run them through the kiln or your torch's flame before using them, because they're sometimes coated in oils or something that keeps bead release from sticking right.
Attached Images

Last edited by dusty; 2012-12-03 at 11:01am.
Old 2012-12-03, 3:47pm

I was looking for something larger than a 3/32 one day & cut up a clothes hanger & used that with no problem at all. Matter of fact, I still use them.
Old 2012-12-03, 5:30pm

You should be careful just using any old metal. Lots of metals will off-gas at the temperatures they reach in the flame, and this can literally kill you over time.
Old 2012-12-03, 11:36pm

The off gas is what I was concerned about with the nickel.

As for the coating - it's a flux used to help fuse whatever you are welding. Similar to using flux on stained glass only this is for the higher temps when welding.

LynieG
Old 2012-12-03, 11:47pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
Aw, don't beat yourself up over it. Rods are only thick/straight wires, as far as I know, but electrodes are used in arc welding, and filler rod is used in tig welding. I don't know what's different, but those electrodes look like they're coated in something. I think you're making it too hard - just ask for what Levi described, "304 stainless steel tig welding filler rod,"in the diameter you want, and they'll know what you mean and won't need a picture. They'll be about 36" long and look like this picture.

Also, after you cut them up, it helps to run them through the kiln or your torch's flame before using them, because they're sometimes coated in oils or something that keeps bead release from sticking right.
i run them through a dishwasher cycle

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-12-03, 11:48pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynieG View Post
The off gas is what I was concerned about with the nickel.

As for the coating - it's a flux used to help fuse whatever you are welding. Similar to using flux on stained glass only this is for the higher temps when welding.
you cant use the pre fluxed ones, i tried once, sat there for ages and bashed the flux off with a hammer - worst idea eva!

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy