Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2015-08-17, 6:50am
Angie09

Default Has anyone used a door for a torching table?

I'm redoing my studio and need a larger torch area than I presently have. I'm thinking of using a solid core door (36" deep) with 2 saw horses at either end. I'll put galvanized steel sheets over the part of the door that gets the hot rods ... anyone? Will this work? I have the large Paragon Bluebird kiln I may or may not put on it. What do you think? Photos anyone???
Old 2015-08-17, 7:09am

Sounds wonderful. I put cement board also known as hardyback board, or backer board over my "table top" It was cheap. For the table I travel with I painted it black with a can of spray paint used to paint barbeque grills. Meant to do it with the large house desk too but too lazy. I have kept my kiln on it too
Old 2015-08-17, 7:14am
Angie09

Oh yeah .... hardyback board would be great .... are the saw horses study enough?
Old 2015-08-17, 7:51am
Loving learning

I had that exact thing at first. I found some old kitchen cabinets that I have replaced the saw horses with now, but used it fine until then. I did NOT used galvanized steel, I avoid anything galvanized around the flame because of the zinc in it (zinc fumes are very dangerous.) I have a piece of stainless steel at one station, and a piece of aluminum at the other (got them both from the metal scrap yard).

I found out that polyurethane to seal the door really smells & melts when hot stuff hits it, but there is a spray paint made for bbq grills, etc. at Home Depot that is heat resistant, and I have that on there now & it is holding up much better. I think it was Rustoleum, but I'm not positive on that. There is one that needs cured in heat, which was of course impossible to do on the door, but the other one you just needed to let sit for a day or something if I remember correctly.
I think a lot of people just use tile to cover it.
Old 2015-08-17, 8:42am
Phill

Aye, galvanized metal will make zinc fumes when popping hot glass burns it and zinc fumes is the source of the poisoning that gave us the phrase "Mad as a Hatter".

Zinc was in the heated hat blocking molds they used back then.
Old 2015-08-17, 8:42am
Angie09

Thanks Eileen for the info .... very useful and very much appreciated!!!
Old 2015-08-17, 8:43am
Angie09

Now that's interesting .... I'll definitely stay away from that stuff .... I'm crazy enough without adding to it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedslug View Post
Aye, galvanized metal will make zinc fumes when popping hot glass burns it and zinc fumes is the cause of the phrase "Mad as a Hatter" comes from. Zinc was in the heated hat blocking molds they used back then.
Old 2015-08-17, 9:04am
Loving learning

The bonus of using the cabinet bases is the extra storage, and for me, I like having my table at that height, so I have a choice to stand or sit (adjustable chair that goes up to barstool height).
Old 2015-08-17, 11:53am

A piece of hot glass landing on a zinc surface releases poison gas?
Really?
Old 2015-08-17, 3:05pm
Loving learning

No, but if you start a fire in there, like others have already experienced, it will.

And with the other easy options, why take any chances?
Old 2015-08-18, 9:08pm
balanced but asymmetrical

I use a hollow core door as a table surface, it rests on copper pipe struts and has a large piece of stainless steel covering the top surface. I also use a smaller piece of aluminum painted a charcoal color (with high temp stove paint), right in front of the torching area to better view the molten glass. Works great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-08-18, 11:43pm
Phill

My mistake on the zinc and hat makers. Turns out it was mercury that made them insane.

The inhalation of zinc fumes (in larger quantities than would come from hot glass pieces) is called metal fume fever and there doesn't seem to be a consensus on just what causes it although crappy ventilation is key imho.

My apologies.
Old 2015-08-19, 9:27am

When I first lit the torch in 1996, I used a hollow core door covered with Homasote, a fire resistant fiber product, on a couple of aluminum saw horses. It worked perfectly and was quick to break down when/if I needed the space for something else temporarily.
Old 2015-09-04, 9:53am
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I use a piece of 3/4" plywood, covered with metal flashing from the bldr's store. It comes in a roll and I just overlapped it and tacked it down. The plywood sits on top of kitchen base cabinets. I also glued 12" x 12" ceramic tiles onto the hardy backer wall my torch faces, behind the ventilation.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.