Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-01-25, 7:01am

Default Ring opinions please!

I'm always making earrings, necklaces and bracelets and now I want to add rings to that list.
I'm nervous about sizes of rings to make and I don't want to do " made to order" rings.
My question is, what is your opinion on adjustable rings? At first I thought it would make my rings look cheap but after looking around at other rings that are adjustable, I have changed my mind.
What are the pro's and con's?
One of my pro's would be they can wear the ring on different fingers instead of just one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Facebook
Old 2016-01-25, 2:29pm
Certified Glassaholic!

I think adjustable can be done well and, as you say, has the benefit of being...well, adjustable I think it just depends. For the most part most artists I've seen make closed shank rings but that really limits who can buy that one particular item. Many a time I've seen a ring I loved and would have bought except it was the wrong size. I say go for it and see how it does for you!!

Old 2016-01-26, 5:54am

Thanks Yee!
I'll try a couple and see how it goes.

My Facebook
Old 2016-01-26, 8:28am
Corgi Cult Member

If you do decide to make a few closed shank rings, I've found sizes 6-7 1/2 sell well for me. The most popular is often a 7. In that size range, people who wear a smaller size can often wear it on a middle finger, so it doesn't completely rule them out as a purchaser. Anything over an 8 or under a 5 1/2 is a hard sell for me.

I think adjustable bands are a great idea! Your work is so lovely, it wouldn't lessen the quality at all. Look forward to seeing what you create!

Old 2016-01-26, 4:37pm
what's a senior moment ?

I'm one of those that wear a size 10 ring - on my ring finger and I have LOTS of issues finding hand made rings in that size. Because of that, I just quit looking for hand made. For those that make rings if you would advertise that you make the larger sizes, I bet you'd sell them. I know it's extra work but it could well pay off. I'd be looking anyway. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Old 2016-01-26, 10:22pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
I'm one of those that wear a size 10 ring - on my ring finger and I have LOTS of issues finding hand made rings in that size. Because of that, I just quit looking for hand made. For those that make rings if you would advertise that you make the larger sizes, I bet you'd sell them. I know it's extra work but it could well pay off. I'd be looking anyway. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Debbie, that's good to know. All of my rings are currently in the gallery, if I have any your size, I'll send you photos.

Old 2016-01-27, 4:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
Hi Debbie!
Not sure what style of ring you are looking for, but I make wire wrapped rings with various beads and can make in any size. We make them on the spot at craft shows, and I love when someone is thrilled to finally have a ring that fits! I don't have many listed in my store, but here is one listing to give you an idea of what I am talking about...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1220394...home_active_15

If you are at all interested, I would be happy to share more photos of what I have...

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2016-01-27, 5:05pm

I'm with Debbie, I take a 8 1/2 and never can find them in handmade items so like Debbie I just quit looking
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2016-09-05, 2:40am

I think adjustable can be possible well and, as you say, has the advantage of being...well, movable I think it just depends. Generally most craftsmen I've seen make shut shank rings however that truly constrains who can purchase that one specific thing.

Old 2016-09-16, 8:05pm

I used to use the stainless ring shanks from Germany that has a screw top for changeable ring toppers. I thought adjustable ringshanks were tacky......but I've changed my mind. I bought some really beautiful sterling shanks that wrap around and still have the screw top. Beautiful. Now I'm hooked on them.
Old 2016-11-03, 5:50pm

Most of my rings are wrapped shanks with one bead. I like to make them in an average size, maybe 6 1/2 - 7, and if I need a larger size I can stretch them by gently tapping them along my ring mandrel. They will stretch at least a full size. If someone needs a larger size I will make them a custom ring and ship it to them.