Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-07-19, 7:43pm
Student!

Question natural gas connection

Hi all..

I am going to be hooking a Cricket up to my natural gas supply in the house and really need to be sure that it is done safely. My husband can do the work but has a couple of questions. The folks at GTT said that I will need a flame check valve rather than a flash back arrestor due to the low NG pressures coming into the house. Where does this get inserted in the line, at the gas connection or near the torch? Is it true that I will not need a pressure regulator for the NG?

I know I need all of this for the oxygen side of things, but I have not been able to find enough detail on the NG connections.

Thanks,
Cheryl
Old 2011-07-19, 8:22pm
Cat herder

I have my Minor hooked up to the NG in my house.

The problem with NG is that normal household service pressure is only 1/4 - 1/2 psi. It normally takes at least 1/2 psi to open a flash arrestor or check valve.

The NG comes up to the meter outside my house at some unknown pressure, and a regulator before the meter drops it to 1-2 psi. Inside the house is another regulator that drops it to the aforementioned 1/4 - 1/2 psi. I tapped into the system between the main shutoff valve and the second regulator. From this point, I have another shutoff valve, then a flash arrestor, then the hose to my torch.

Check your system. If you have the second regulator inside the house, I recommend tapping into the system before it so you can use a flash arrestor. If you don't, then maybe someone else can chime in with how they set theirs up.

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-07-19, 8:40pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Flame checks are used with low pressure NG as opposed to a flashback arrestor for high(er) pressure NG or propane....

Subject gets very little attention so information is scarce...

Here is initial research I did some time back....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...ame+check#p850

Believe this may best available unit for our application...

http://carlislemachine.com/as_accessories/firecheck.php

Probably best place to install it would be at end of hard piping....

NG is regulated at meter as it enters residence so no regulator is required...

Here is a couple of pic of what others have done for NG installations...

Long brass "hex" shaped unit (above) is "flame check"....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-07-19 at 8:42pm.
Old 2011-07-20, 1:53am
Alaska Boro

A pressure regulator is not needed when using a NG system that is supplying .5 PSI. In some locations, pressure for home use can be as high as 2 PSI. This level is often used for on demand water heaters.

In our location, the pressure to the regulator is 60 PSI with one output at .5 PSI. Would love to use between 2 and 5 PSI but this pressure is not available unless used in an out building or commercial installation.

You also may want to check local codes to see if using "T" rated welding hose is permitted as pictured.
Old 2011-07-20, 10:36am
Student!

Dale, Pictures DO speak a thousand words, thanks! This information will be very helpful!

Joe, The Cricket is supposed to be effective at these low gas pressures, they claim at 1/4 psi so I am optimistic that it will serve me well once installed.

Thanks Alaska for the response. we will be doing this to code (we can't bring ourselves to do any less!)

thanks for the help,

Cheryl