LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-03-14, 8:28pm

Default help with my studio

I am just getting started and have not had much luck finding info online. I am setting up on the third floor of my house. I do not have a way to put my tanks outside but will have them off to the side in the room (not close to my minor torch) I have a window fan set up in front of me and my kiln ontop cinder blocks which are sitting on a desk.
I have seen post which say its safe to have tanks in the house, I will have a small oxygen tank and a bbq size propane tank, I have regulators and flashback arrestors that connect to the regulators. I am eager to get started but want to make sure I am being safe. Any advice will help. I cant build a garage for another few months which is where I plan to move my studio
Old 2011-03-14, 8:33pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

It is not safe to have tanks in the house - propane is heavier than air and if there is a leak, can settle to the lower floors of the house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-03-15, 8:22am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippermontana View Post
I am just getting started and have not had much luck finding info online. I am setting up on the third floor of my house. I do not have a way to put my tanks outside but will have them off to the side in the room (not close to my minor torch) I have a window fan set up in front of me and my kiln ontop cinder blocks which are sitting on a desk.
I have seen post which say its safe to have tanks in the house, I will have a small oxygen tank and a bbq size propane tank, I have regulators and flashback arrestors that connect to the regulators. I am eager to get started but want to make sure I am being safe. Any advice will help. I cant build a garage for another few months which is where I plan to move my studio
Who ever posted those remarks are wrong..... NFPA (Nation Fire Protection Association) codes which most local and state building codes are based on state no more than 2 #1 pound canisters (disposable size) are allowed to be stored or used inside a residence (definitely not a #20 BBQ style tank) ....

Suggest this thread for further reading....

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412

Also the logistics of getting tanks up to third floor may impose sever physical injury if you are not careful.... Suggest you move up plans to build studio in garage....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-03-16, 8:44am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Perhaps a better solution would be to put the propane tank on the ground outside and below a window for the intended room and run a hose up to the room thru the window. The tank can be hidden from view with an unturned garbage can or some such. As Dale said the logistics of hauling an oxy cylinder up to the third floor can be daunting. Typically a smaller cylinder is easy to haul but doesn't last long and a bigger cylinder is very heavy but lasts much longer.
PJH
Old 2011-03-16, 9:29am

thanks for the help.. .the guys teaching me had tanks inside so I never thought it was a problem. I am thankful I found this site as there are a few more things I need to look at to get started... safety is my first concern
Old 2011-03-18, 12:16pm
old fart

for a minor, you might find using a small 1 pound propane tank is a potential short term solution. you can usually get a few hours out of one.

Old 2011-03-26, 8:31am

If safety is your primary concern, the first thing you should do is reconsider shop location. Putting your setup within your domisile raises the bar of potential loss if something goes wrong. Sure, a huge amount of people do it. That doesn't mean I'm goign to suspend common sense and follow suit.
Worst case scenario, you lose everything you own, your pets are killed in the fire and maybe even your loved ones. Fact is, and I'm sure everyone can attest, that at some point in time, something fiery hot will make it off the workbench. It may result in nothing at all.. or the above scenario. I'm not being dramatic.. slighting basic safety and hoping nothing happens is lazy and ignorant. Doesn't matter how skilled a person is behind the torch, nobody is exempt from unforseen events.
You wouldn't put a trampoline in your basement, nor a toaster in your sink "Because there was no other space for it, really"
I agree with Dale. Finding a different location would be your safest choice.
Old 2011-04-13, 3:37pm

Have you checked with your homeowners insurance? Your policy may be voided by using a torch or kiln in the house.
Old 2011-04-13, 6:51pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirchybaby View Post
If safety is your primary concern, the first thing you should do is reconsider shop location. . slighting basic safety and hoping nothing happens is lazy and ignorant. Too harsh.

Your comment was too harsh kirchybaby. We want to teach newbies not run them off.

Flippermontana welcome to LE and if you have anymore questions just ask me. I will help all I can.

Sometimes we setup with a studio that is not ideal. Most are not. In which case we setup as best we can and put in place extra precautions. That is what I have done and many others until we can get it built the way we want it and know that everything is to code, laws, rules and powers that be.

Original poster stated eager to get started..aren't we all? Garage being built soon so OP has a handle on it, and is trying to be as safe as possible. Is it ideal, not by a long shot, but OP is asking for help and direction.

My recommendations ( same as Squid, tanks not in the house) are to set up outside on a porch, patio or backyard until garage is built. Even a little Sears metal shed that can be used later for tools etc. But whatever you do be as safe as you possibly can.
Old 2011-04-15, 6:59am
old fart

you can still set up on the 3rd floor if that is your only option. but you also need to study things before you make critical mistakes. already in this thread, many items have been identified such as large propane tanks, carpeting, ventilation....but there is much more to know. what is it???? that is for you to find out.

you could use a oxygen/propane torch on the 3rd floor using a 1 poind propane tank with a regulator adaptor. you can get about 4 hours on a small tank using a minor.

lugging heavy oxygen tanks up to the 3rd floor will get old after the 100th time. you can avoid this by using a oxygen concentrator, but that will yield a weaker flame than a tank

you need to have ventilation AND make up air. there are many ways to do this but you must realize that the make up air will suck hot moist air inside in the summer and cold air in the winter so choose wisely.

you need to have everything in the area of your studio as flame proof as possible, as well as fire extinquishers,

you need to have a dedicated circuit breaker that only powers your kiln. so you cannot share that breaker with a vacuum cleaner, AC, heater, or any other high power device.

there is much more as well, but a lot depends on your choices.

Old 2011-05-13, 9:33am

How would you set-up a Minor torch with a 1lb tank. I am in the process of redoing my garage studio, and that would alow me to continue working in the interim.
Old 2011-05-13, 11:20am
Salt Box Beads

Here is a link to Mark's thread on how to do that. I have it along with several different set ups and it works great.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...cake+regulator
Old 2011-05-13, 11:49am

I saw that, but the links in that thread are all dea. My questions are:
1. Can I use a Smith disposable tank regulator like I have for my Little Torch. If yes, then how do I control the PSI since a 1 lb tank is 15psi and my minor wants 5 psi.

2. The steak saver adaptor is designed for a female barbeque regulator and a lampworking/welding regulator is male, so you have male-male and what do you put in between?

Thanks. Just trying to understand.
Old 2011-07-07, 7:04pm
Confused as usual

would it be safer to use a HH torch on the third fl. until a safer studio is built ? that is what I am thinking of doing also.
Old 2011-07-15, 8:37am

Do you live in an area where it would be possible to set up a temporary studio outside? I know it's not a fantastic solution but it's what I did while I was waiting to move into our new house with a garage. I set up everything on my brother in-law's basketball court under a sun tent. Oxy tank got tied up to the basketball post and the tent got some tarps attached to block a lot of the direct light (just make sure to leave space for a breeze to get in for ventilation). Not a long term solution but safer than the 3rd floor.