No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-08, 2:11pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Default Photosensitive glass?

Anyone ever heard of it? Know where to get it? Know how to use it?

Here's an auction I came across today that says they use it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/broke-down-barn-...QQcmdZViewItem

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My name is............. Deb
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2006-12-08, 2:35pm

I've seen this in a coffee mug that we sell in our retail store. It looks black until you put a hot liquid in it and then a design appears. The problem is that it's more expensive than most mugs, and all the consumer sees is a black mug! Not sure if it's the same thing but it sounds like it. There is no evidence on the inside or outside of the mug that a design will appear when the hot liquid is added. All of that just to say that I've seen what I think is photosensitive glass although not in a bead.

Judy
Old 2006-12-08, 2:35pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Googled it and here is a page with some info from Olympic Color...very interesting stuff!

http://www.glasscolor.com/colors/photosensitive.aspx

-yee

Old 2006-12-08, 2:48pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Oh my gosh, that is expensive! $60.90 for one rod of glass!

I guess I won't be doing any of that....lol

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2006-12-08, 2:53pm
runs with pruning shears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy C. View Post
I've seen this in a coffee mug that we sell in our retail store. It looks black until you put a hot liquid in it and then a design appears. The problem is that it's more expensive than most mugs, and all the consumer sees is a black mug! Not sure if it's the same thing but it sounds like it. There is no evidence on the inside or outside of the mug that a design will appear when the hot liquid is added. All of that just to say that I've seen what I think is photosensitive glass although not in a bead.

Judy
Not the same thing at all (and me, I love my thermo-sensative mugs...I have a chishire cat which disappears) D

The photoresistant glass is like a photographic plate-(kind of like a negative, in the sense that you don't print from it).
Old 2006-12-08, 11:52pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsongstudio View Post
Oh my gosh, that is expensive! $60.90 for one rod of glass!

I guess I won't be doing any of that....lol
Is that for a rod the normal size we use, or the giagantic rods that come from them?

Kathy

Old 2006-12-09, 8:07am
A True Woofer

I think it's a neat concept, but I can't say that I'm a fan of the end result.

Old 2006-12-09, 1:51pm
Missing presumed fed

That's likely to be a glassblower's rod, not a beadmaking rod. Regular (non-photosensitive) gold ruby rods on the OCR site are $45-$55, so they're definitely not talking about the sort of rods we're used to.
Old 2006-12-10, 12:12pm

It is VERY expensive and it doesn`t work every time. You need a special furnance or light and a lot of practical training. I don`t know if it works with COE 104 because it has COE 93 - 96. The effects are not so nice used with the wrong base glass, so make a good choice for the second colour. For example white and red.
glass-diary