No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-08-01, 11:18am
Moon Sparkle Studio

Default How long did it take???

I'd like to get some feedback on how long it took people to set up a studio once they decided to go for it. From the first day of research to the first day of "firing up". I'm looking for as many responses as possible to get an idea of where i should be by now. Everyone's input will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by mrsfid1; 2008-08-01 at 11:19am. Reason: typo's
Old 2008-08-01, 11:47am
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I bought a hot head kit in September 2004 and used that for a month.. Just couldn't get good colors out of it, at that point I didn't know there was such a thing as using a bbq tank with it (was using those small propane bottles).. I put it away and from November until August of 2005 and slowely purchased my setup.. Too expensive at that point for us to do it all at once.. I had my equipment for months before August but was so scared of the propane that didn't turn it on until I got the courage up. Everything was finally installed in my first studio on my birthday (Aug 31st) 2005. That was all I wanted for my birthday. The rest is history.. 2 houses and 3 studio locations later, still going..
Old 2008-08-01, 11:55am
3 times the burn

For me, nearly 2 years. I first thought about setting up a studio in late 2005, began research, got some quotes, *sticker shock* about costs and gave up for a while.

In 2007, I got a new neighbor, who is a terrific handyman/contractor, and talked to him about a studio set up in my garage. Randy did additional research, and built the room for me, and at a reasonable cost. It was completed late fall 2007.
Old 2008-08-01, 12:22pm
Dichro Addict

I think it takes most people months to set it up properly. It should take as long as necessary to do it right!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lenora; 2008-08-01 at 12:25pm.
Old 2008-08-01, 12:37pm
Flamewoman

We started in August 2007 and finished in December 2007. We had a Tuff Shed built and converted it, so that saved some time. While we like the Tuff Shed, if we had it to do again, my DH says he would have built the shed. If you want to see what we built, check out my thread in Studio's called " My Studio is FINALLY done!" I worked for years before that in the house with a large box fan in the window, NOT GOOD.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-08-01, 1:07pm

It took about 4 months from the time we started until my studio was finished.
You may be interested in checking out my thread about construction and the entire process:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87730

Prior to having a proper studio it took me only a few hours to set up a "studio", which consisted of a hot head torch, crock pot full of vermiculite, and a box fan in the window.

I think the time factor depends on how elaborate you want to get.
Good luck with your studio and make sure to share your progress with us!

Old 2008-08-01, 2:08pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Less than a month from my intro to beadmaking till I was on my own. I rented time in a studio for the first 3 weeks, then my dad borrowed a little bobcat torch from his friends at Public Glass. I got my kiln and my own torch in May of last year, and have been torching in my temporary digs on a tiny typewriter table in our (converted) concrete dairy barn while I wait for the real studio to be finished. We are remodeling a 100+ year old shop and it's been slow-going. We still have sheetrock, T&T, paint, electrical, lighting, vent system and countertops to do. We started August of last year.

Kelly

Old 2008-08-01, 6:42pm
Moon Sparkle Studio

Thanks all - I didn't think I was alone in my time frame. I started doing most of the research, one piece at a time at the end of June, right after my last workshop, and DH feels it's taking me too long - that i over research things and that just gets me more confused. I've got the torch, the oxygen is on its way, I've almost made a decision on the kiln, and I did all the research for the ventillation and am ready to piece that together.

I've also ordered a ton of glass + a few fancy things, - I looooooooooove the glass (i can't stop touching it and looking at it imagining what it will become) - some starter tools, the room is ready to go, and I need to order blinds and AC to cool off the hot sun room where my studio is. And I mean HOT in the summer - all windows with a southern exposure. So I'm not so far off from being done and my original guesstimate. I originally told DH I thought it would only take a few weeks (he's a very impatient man) to set up, and he said he hoped it wouldn't take more than a month and a half.

So I thank you all for your input and at least i have proof that i'm definitely not alone. Thanks especially to those of you who took your time and your show of support.
Old 2008-08-01, 6:58pm

Sounds like you're on the right track. I just answered your post somewhere else... Anyhow, good luck!
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-08-04, 1:15pm

Getting the ventilation, fireproofing, torch, oxygen and basics took about 5 months. Then It has been a work in progress since. I am constantly modifying and improving the space for my needs. It is like your art -- it matures with time and play.
Jen
Old 2008-08-04, 3:32pm
William Hagy

ummmmm a year or two for my current studio however it has 10 stations aside from a hotshop

my first one seems like it took now time at all ~maybe a week?

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.
Old 2008-08-05, 12:59am

I took my 1st class on March 8,2008 and was instantly hooked...took home my Hothead and played with it outside, despite the wind and cold and inability to even see the flame most of the time...spent an afternoon on my teachers big girl torch, and was even more hooked...now have my 8 x8 Tuffshed up, electrical done, ventilation system finished, insulation and sheetrock done. Countertops built and covered with cementbackerboard, and there's cementbackerboard on the floor. Needs a layer of paint, tile on the counters and floor.Then the piping setup for the propane tank (think there's the diagram by Dale....thanks, Dale). We gave up on doing the ventilation system ourselves...read everything we found by Mike (thanks) and Dale (thanks) and were able to come up with what I needed, but putting it all together was way too much for my DH and I, and I wanted it to really work, so we had an A/C guy put it all together...In another few weekends the tiling should be done and I will be in glass heaven!!! I can hardly wait...it seems like it is taking forever....but then I realize I only squealed with delight as I made my 1st bead (blob) 5 months ago. Have fun! This site is wonderful, people are so helpful! Zanotti
Old 2008-08-05, 4:58pm

About 6 weeks from the time we started to talk about it. I think that's record timing, but I charmed my husband real good!!!!!! Fortunately, he was pretty intrigued by the whole thing. The L shaped table and ventilation took the longest to complete. LE was invaluable for ventilation advice and instruction. Good luck!

BTW: I'm set with a Minor & oxy concentrator. My station sits in front of a window so I keep my propane tank outside the window. When I'm ready to bead I run my fuel hose out the window to the tank. I like the fact that when I'm done working my propane remains completely disconnected from the house. Safety first!

Last edited by Rudy; 2008-08-05 at 5:01pm.
Old 2008-08-08, 2:25pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I had a hot head it took some time to get the minor, oxycon and natural gas hooked up maybe 3 months.

I have just moved and it took me 3 months to get everything I wanted to get done but then this is a much fancier set up than before. I used parts and pieces of things I already had but added on.

Here is what I did in the 3 months besides moving a whole house.

New tile floors we did ourselves in a 12x20 room.
All new exhaust except for the one hood that I had.
A second torch station.
New stainless steel table topping.
New glass storage shelving, white wire shelving from target (best price ever)

It is looking good and the one torch is set up but it is going to take some cash to get the other one running.

Old 2008-08-19, 10:25am

Less then a month. We started construction before we even had our first beginner kit.
Old 2008-08-19, 3:38pm

uh lets see... i started looking and thinking about it in may 2008 and im still setting up... il get back to you when im done
Old 2008-08-19, 7:32pm
ManBearPig

Took me about 3 days.

Old 2008-08-19, 7:44pm
Burnt Wood Beads

Took me about 5 months to research kilns and torches, etc. Once my mind was made up, it took about 15 minutes to spend over $1000! lol

That was over 2 years ago. I just got a real studio set up this past month after planning it for over a year....

Yes, it takes time...and enjoy the time it does take.....there's a great satisfaction in planning and thinking and then seeing it come to life.

Julie