No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-22, 6:41am
working to pay for glass

Default triton

my triton is turning bronze tones instead of silver do i have to much propane ?in reduction ?
Old 2010-04-22, 10:35am
Dangerous Woman

I get that sometimes with triton and auare. I think it is from over reducing and/or overheating. I don't always have patience and tend to keep my bead in the flame too long instead of flashing. I also tend to flash it too close to the torch head. But once it goes tan it won'r go back. What surprizes me how many people like the beads I consider a failure because of the tans.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-04-22, 10:49am
Will work for glass...

This brown is almost a kind of bronze-looking color. If you treat your Triton right it can actually vary between bronze and purple, and the color spectrum is quite nice! My suggestion (especially if you are over-reducing it), is to reduce your propane AND your oxygen so you have a less powerful, but still neutral, flame. Then start reducing the oxygen until you have a light, fluffy orange output from your torch. Make sure the triton is no longer glowing. Reduction takes more nicely to cooled glass. Then, very lightly wave the cool bead through the outer edge of the reduction flame; start off by bathing your glass in the flame only for very fleeting amounts of time and if you still want more "sheen" you can always continue moving it in and out of the flame until you achieve the desired results. It is always easier to "add" reduction then to "take away" because over reducing your glass can result in a muddy brown film appearing on the surface that is difficult to get rid of, no matter how much oxygen you add back into your flame. Hope this helps.
Old 2010-04-22, 12:01pm
working to pay for glass

it does thanks!
Old 2010-04-23, 1:24am
Unmedicated since '62

it does that with to much reduction - i just turn my propane up and waft the bead through the very tip of the orange bit, then check the bead, it only takes the tiniest bit of reduction to get silver - on the flipside that over reduction bronze is beautiful encased, this bead is all triton on a white core
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-04-24, 7:57pm
working to pay for glass

pretty !
Old 2010-04-24, 8:35pm
Unmedicated since '62

yeah i did that by accident! it was the first time i'd played with silver glass, i reduced it, it looked like crap so i thought what the hell i'll encase it - i nearly hyperventilated when it came out so gorgeous. i sold that for the AGLF.

Old 2010-04-25, 6:57am
BeadsonCypress

ok, so now I have a question. I work on a mini-cc with a concentrator, so when I apply tiny abouts of triton it almost immedity silver's up......usually I stop messing with it at that point so I don't ruin the effect. However, sometimes I get a muddy color brown and when I get the "fluffy" flames, all I get is a carbon shadow....what am I doing wrong?

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-04-25, 10:15am
Bead maker and bead buyer

I just was making triton spacers the other day, and I know what you mean about it getting that silver almost immediately. I found that if I heat up the spacer fully (to at least the bright orange state) that reduction will "burn off". I can see it happen. Then I can let it cool and reduce it to get the silver color over the whole bead.
Old 2010-04-25, 10:19am
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadsoncypress View Post
ok, so now I have a question. I work on a mini-cc with a concentrator, so when I apply tiny abouts of triton it almost immedity silver's up......usually I stop messing with it at that point so I don't ruin the effect. However, sometimes I get a muddy color brown and when I get the "fluffy" flames, all I get is a carbon shadow....what am I doing wrong?

Yup I get that muddy brown more than I want. I 'think' it is because my flame is too reducing.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-04-25, 10:19am

I love triton over copper green. Beautiful beautiful beautiful... did I mention beautiful?

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-04-25, 7:41pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

Omg, I saw some copper looking beads that I wanted to know what color they were, and no one knew for sure. Im wondering if thats what it was. They looked metallic brown, or copper, and the effect was to die for. I even asked everyone in the forum if they knew what it was.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-04-25, 7:42pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

ewww, will have to try that combo, pictures???? I love when people give great advice like that to us people that have no creativity, or are just unable to come up with ideas. It really is a gift, you have no idea what it means to people like me, thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
I love triton over copper green. Beautiful beautiful beautiful... did I mention beautiful?

Sue

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-04-26, 4:58am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadsoncypress View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damselfly View Post
I just was making triton spacers the other day, and I know what you mean about it getting that silver almost immediately. I found that if I heat up the spacer fully (to at least the bright orange state) that reduction will "burn off". I can see it happen. Then I can let it cool and reduce it to get the silver color over the whole bead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
Yup I get that muddy brown more than I want. I 'think' it is because my flame is too reducing.
you have to have a really really neutral flame to put the dots on - the little tips on the cones have to be barely orange - the dots should just look like cobalt blue

when you've finished, turn your propane up so the candle is about fingerlength then quickly flash the bead through the very tip of the orange candle - like 1 second at a time - look at the bead - not enough? 1 more second, be really quick

if you over reduce you can burn it off but it never looks as good the second time around (IMHO)

i found a good way to practice was just by heating and reducing the end of the rod - and you should be able to pull stringers and they should stay cobalt blue

did i mention Triton is my favorite silver glass

Old 2010-04-26, 9:24am
Bead maker and bead buyer

Thanks for the tips, Deb.

I use a concentrator and I do get the orange tips of the candles as low as possible (to the point of not really being there), but all DH glass still tends to get reduction until I get it hot enough to move. Then the reduction disappears and it goes back to cobalt blue (or purple in the case of Psyche). Any reduction effects are then gone, the glass is a clean slate, so to speak, and I can reduce it properly and get that lovely silver sheen.

I can pull stringers and keep them blue, but when I first put the rod into the flame, the tip goes silver, then as it gets molten and I make a large gather, the reduction "burns off" and it goes back to blue. When I use the stringer and only use the edge of the flame to apply it to the bead, it turns silver immediately.

Quirks of using my concentrator, I guess
Old 2010-04-26, 2:54pm
Unmedicated since '62

mine goes briefly silver too, just as it heating, so that must be pretty normal

Old 2010-04-27, 7:06am
working to pay for glass

i can get silver now thanks !