Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-27, 7:03am
working to pay for glass

Default bead release

another stupid question
I am sure it has been asked before but here goes again
1st can you add water to bead release ? because ....what i have left seems really thick and is now cracking off the mandrel in the middle of something good and causing intense grief !
2.do you use different bead release for BORO
3.how do you get it all out of clear beads ?
4.is there a better bead release for clear ?
5. the release i am using seems real thick and it makes it hard to use a bead roller any suggestions for bead release ?
Old 2010-04-27, 9:10am
Hobby Junkie

Heck yes! You can thin it! I like mine really thin, especially for boro (or bead rollers). I use fusion for everything. Fusion is great because it cleans out so easy. For big holes I just dunk it in water and swipe it with a Qtip (or little brush). For little holes, I just run a thin diamond bit through it with my dremmel. I'm lazy so quick is best for me! The hole has a frosted look (I think it does with any bead release). If you don't like it, just brush in a thin coat of Renaissance wax and that shines it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-04-27, 10:07am
working to pay for glass

where to i get this fusion
i have been using bucket o mud and sludge and they are both really thick
and i am always losing afew beads a night due to release failure and it is always the ones i really liked
Old 2010-04-27, 12:18pm

I have seen where it was recommended to only use distilled water to thin release, which is what I use.

Cheers
Kym
Old 2010-04-27, 12:36pm
Hobby Junkie

I order Fusion through Wale Apparatus but many places sell it. I don't use distilled water just plain old tap water and I've never had any issues. Been doing it for years. I tried other releases and hated them.

Old 2010-04-27, 12:50pm
working to pay for glass

so i just ordered some fusion from flamedame.... but it seems there is more then one
Old 2010-04-27, 12:59pm
Hobby Junkie

Just different varieties of the same stuff (thicker, thinner, etc). Don't be afraid to dump some water in it if you want it thinner than it comes. If you want it thicker, leave the lid off overnight, then cap it and shake it up in the morning. You'll love it. It flame dries awesomely! I dip it and put it right into the heat of the flame. No wait!

Old 2010-04-27, 1:05pm
working to pay for glass

oh good will try it
Old 2010-04-27, 1:11pm
one day at a time

Fusion is good, you won't be disappointed. It's pretty smooth textured and beads come off easy. That is the one I use for boro. My favorite for soft glass is KRAG Mudd, which is even smoother and the best for transparent beads, IMHO.

http://www.kittrellriffkind.com/krag_mudd.php

This release is awesome, and so smooth. I make a lot of transparent beads, so I use this one, clean with a BeadDreamer bit and Dremel Minimite = perfect holes.
Old 2010-04-27, 2:19pm
working to pay for glass

is krag mudd same as bucket of mudd ?
Old 2010-04-27, 2:29pm
MacGalver

Nope, not the same! But Bucket of Mudd is a good product too, you just have to get it to the right consistency. Basically most of the bead releases are slighlty different and everybody has their own favorite.
When you add water, don't add very much at once, it is easy to over thin the bead release. If that does happen, just leave the container with the lid off for a day or so and it will thicken back up. Don't be afraid to experiment!

Jo

Old 2010-04-27, 5:17pm
working to pay for glass

THanks jo

Last edited by sixbabygirls; 2010-04-27 at 5:19pm.
Old 2010-04-27, 5:51pm
Certified Thread Killer

I just got some Super Blue Sludge. it seems a little thick for me. I'm grateful for the "distilled" water hint. I'll add a teaspoon or two and see what happens. I like any release that doesn't have a ton of graphite in it. EW black and messy!
Old 2010-04-27, 9:02pm
working to pay for glass

i also have the blue sludge and it is better thinned out but i am not a huge fan either
i have not found a favorite yet .....
Old 2010-04-27, 10:49pm
one day at a time

The KRAG Mudd is almost black, and you don't want to get it on good clothes, but it's a dream. But if you are going to be making large beads and doing a lot of tugging, then the Fusion is stronger likely. I have made big hole beads with the KRAG and the holes are so smooth inside compared to the other releases I've tried. Less cleaning and buffing.
Old 2010-04-27, 11:18pm
MacGalver

Lisi, where do you buy the KRAG Mudd? There's no pricing or anything on their website...

Jo

Old 2010-04-28, 3:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
I order Fusion through Wale Apparatus but many places sell it. I don't use distilled water just plain old tap water and I've never had any issues. Been doing it for years. I tried other releases and hated them.
You could be right for most release but I do think it makes a difference with SmoothN'Tuff. I do it to be safe because our water here is very hard. On the other hand I have mixed releases ad hoc nevermind the brand etc. Seems to work ok too.

Kym
Old 2010-04-28, 3:39am
BeadsonCypress

Believe it or not, I bought some inexpensive bead release from Devardi (it's blue) kind of a generic bead release (16 oz for like $13.00 if I remember correctly). What I like is that when you dip it (yes I have thinned it a little) it's blue. I can immediately put it to the flame (cool flame) and it will turn black/grey, then white. When it turns white it's ready to go! Great for those of us who have a tendency to wait until the last minute to dip mandrels. That being said I have dipped them and let them set on my workbench for weeks....I really like the stuff.

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-04-28, 9:32am
Happiness is....

I dipped mandrels in Smooth-n-Tuff, over a year ago. didn't care for the mandrels, so I let them sit in a glass container for a long time. Took them to a demo this past weekend, and the other ladies thought they were just fine. They have a small amount of rust on them, but when heated up in the flame that disappears. I've been using fusion since I started working.

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2010-04-28, 10:46am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrlartist View Post
Lisi, where do you buy the KRAG Mudd? There's no pricing or anything on their website...

Jo
You will need to call them to order it and get the pricing and shipping info. I think I paid $32 plus shipping for the 16 oz tub. Worth every penny, and I am getting close to needing to order more.