Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-02-07, 1:42pm

Question Another question

So, I was told by a helpful dude at Nortel that just getting an extra 02 concentrator would make my minor burner flame much bigger/powerful and could get a lot of boro done that way. What do you think, is it a realistic stepping stone to getting a big torch? As I posted a few days ago, I want to get into making vessels and ornaments too. Anyone else have two M10's hooked up to a minor? How does this work for you?
Old 2011-02-07, 3:28pm

Yes, it is a realistic stepping stone to getting a bigger torch. More O2 will help you get more heat and do larger pieces.

I started on one M10 and a Bobcat. I moved up to two M10's. Then switched to a Barracuda and changed from 104 to boro. Now I have the Cuda and 3 M15's. For me, this was a good progression from a single concentrator doing 104 up to doing larger stuff in Boro.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Download Bails Made Easy & Homefill adapter tutorials free.
Old 2011-02-07, 4:29pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Even with torches in the Mirage or Kobuki size range the concentrators can be used to run the center flame which is where most of the oxygen is used. That seriously extends the time from a cylinder of oxy.
Old 2011-02-07, 5:09pm

I ran a mega minor for a couple years on 2 m-15's and it is a great setup for the home hobby lampworking. I was able to work 3/4 inch boro rod and or 25/4 tubing just fine. The concentrators be way cheaper than buying tanked oxy in the long run. You may have some purity issues if you are trying to rage with the concentrators cranked all the way up but nothing you can't overcome.
Old 2011-02-07, 8:19pm

If I have an M10 now...would it be advisible to get something larger to couple with it? Is there any reason why the two generators I am running have to be the same?
Old 2011-02-08, 3:31am
Alaska Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokeshikitten View Post
Is there any reason why the two generators I am running have to be the same?
Both need the same output PSI. Any brand will do, but pressure has to be close. i.e. one 5 PSI unit and one 9.5 PSI unit is a no go.
Old 2011-02-08, 6:40am

how does running one m-20 compare to running two m-10s, is oneway preferrable to the other.
Old 2011-02-08, 7:32am

I looked at the specs and the M-10 is half the PSI and half the LPM of the M20. If I had the choice I would like one M-20 due to the higher PSI....also, only one filter to change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Download Bails Made Easy & Homefill adapter tutorials free.
Old 2011-02-08, 9:18am

so two m-10s would not be able boost the psi is that right, or three ,four, just the output. lpms ummm i am starting to get confused, seriously help me out here.no matter how many is combined the psi won,t get any lardger is that right?
Old 2011-02-08, 11:18am
Curmudgeon Engineering

And a single M20 is probably creaper to buy and operate and ship. Oxycon pressures are not addative but the lpm capacity is.
Old 2011-02-09, 7:13am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarv View Post
so two m-10s would not be able boost the psi is that right, or three ,four, just the output. lpms ummm i am starting to get confused, seriously help me out here.no matter how many is combined the psi won,t get any lardger is that right?
Multiple machines doesn't boost the total PSI, correct - only the total potential output of O2 (LPM). There is a point of diminishing returns for adding machines too but I think that has to do with how much you're actually able to use more than the actual LPM available.

The best suggestion I could give you is to go with the highest output / highest PSI machine, and then add another if necessary.

Personally, I plan to buy 2 10 LPM / 20 PSI machines when I can afford it. That will comfortably run the center fire on just about any torch I can think of - and with a holding tank it can probably run the outer ring on my 'cuda comfortably as long as I don't need to rage it for an hour. Sadly "affording it" may be a long way off.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-02-09, 8:04am

hey chris
thanks for the info, don,t want to be confrontational just want to know your thinking. you say go with the biggest , but you say you are planning on buying two of the smaller ones. what is your reasoning for this.again i am just curious.
Old 2011-02-09, 9:05am
boro color bender

a 10 LPM/ 20 PSI machine isn't one of the small ones.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2011-02-09, 11:09am

hey mr. smiley
thanks i spoke before my brain grasp what it had read,i knew i was,nt understanding what i had read therefore i could not help my self i just had to ask. to make things worse for me i have the very machine ordered chris was referring to..............