No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-06-26, 7:30am
Queen Tut ;)

Default Grainy, chunky bead release?

Ok. So I got a reputable brand of bead release over a month ago, so when I ran out...I would not be caught without. Stored it upside down to minimize evaporation, though in a brand new closed jar, I assume that's minimal.

Well, I wanted to give it a try, so shake, shake, shake....hmm, this is chunky. Ok, a little water and a wonky bead (to help agitate)...still chunky. At this point I've had to remove some from the container to add more water. It seems like the recommended consistency (tomato sauce), but my mandrels have grit and grains after dipping. Definitely won't leave smooth holes, if it doesn't break while making a bead.

Is it just not blended well enough? Do I need to pour it into a blender and try to get the "chunks" out? If needed, I can dip a mandrel and take a picture to show what's happening.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-06-26, 8:00am

I use an immersion blender on my bead release. It's dedicated to that use for obvious reasons. I hear some people use a blender for the same purpose.

You might try seeing if your local Goodwill/St Francis has either thing for cheapo.
Old 2012-06-26, 8:16am
Queen Tut ;)

Immersion blender...is that the kind of thing I've seen for making smoothies? As in, wand into container?

Is it common with some bead release to need to do that?

Old 2012-06-26, 9:04am

If you are using the bead release I think you are, just mix in water and/or use submersion blender or regular mixer. It's worth it!

Old 2012-06-26, 9:58am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I have had the same problem. My solution; I use a cordless Dremel for removing bead release when I do make beads so I took an old mandrel about 7" or 8" long and bent a short loop about 1" long in one end. The other end I chuck up into the Dremel and I have a power blender/stirrer. Be careful not to pull it out of the jar when it's running as you will have release all over everwhere. Ask me how I know!
PJ
Old 2012-06-26, 6:15pm
dances with ideas...

PJ, that is pure genius!

Old 2012-06-26, 7:40pm
Queen Tut ;)

I found an extra smoothie maker type blender in my pantry that I hadn't used for years... Blended the bead release and still have the grit/grains. Blended some more...no change.

I let a couple of the mandrels air dry to see if I could still use it. The grittiness sorta-kinda rubbed off with my finger, so I made a pressed tab. Broke all over the place. Not the bead, the release.

So, I don't think it's useable, unless I mix another brand in....which is what I've ended up doing with every single bead release I've tried.

Ugh!

Old 2012-06-27, 5:35am
Lampworkaholic!

Jenne -- can you contact the vendor? I ruined a bottle of good bead release by mixing it with bad bead release. Happily I only ruined a 4 oz. bottle, but still....

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-06-27, 6:21am
sunscreen me baby

If mine gets really dry I need more than one wonky to get the lumps out. I have 5 or so in my bottle.

~

Old 2012-06-27, 8:07am
Fire Diva

I have a paint mixer bit on my drill. It is long and revived lots bead release in its time. Just go to lowe's or home depot and ask for one (looks like a big mandrel with an X on the bottom) fits perfect in the large bead release containers too.

Old 2012-06-27, 8:08am
Fire Diva

also I usually add water...small amounts at a time...until it is the right consistency and no lumps. took forever last week to revive a bottle that has been in the frig for years and years--but it worked!!

Old 2012-06-27, 3:27pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

I recommend that you contact the company that makes it. They may be able to help.
Old 2012-06-28, 8:20am
Ooohhh! Shiny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintingwithglass View Post
also I usually add water...small amounts at a time...until it is the right consistency and no lumps. took forever last week to revive a bottle that has been in the frig for years and years--but it worked!!
You're supposed to store bead release in the fridge?
Old 2012-06-28, 9:50am

I always use bottled water with my bead release. I put a small amount in the container and let sit over night to rehydrate the release. The next day it's good to go and I mix with a spoon. M
Old 2012-06-29, 6:44am
Fire Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen P View Post
You're supposed to store bead release in the fridge?
down here in hot, humid Florida it is a trick for making it last forever!!! lol. less drying out and no mold growth.
bead release lasts a long time by popping it in the frig. I still have the old FosterFire (must be five plus years old) and it still works great!!!

Worried about when it is gone...

Old 2012-06-29, 8:20am
Glass-aholic

It you still get bumps on your dipped mandrels (this happened with one brand I got no matter what I did) when they are dry run your finger up and down LIGHTLY, to smooth them down. Just dont forget to do this before you put it in the flame.................... hot mandrel vs fingers..........................ya, mandrel won!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-06-29, 8:17pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Quote:
I still have the old FosterFire (must be five plus years old) and it still works great!!!

Worried about when it is gone...
FosterFire? I bought back the production from Renate so it's made by me again.
Old 2012-06-30, 11:04am
Fire Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
FosterFire? I bought back the production from Renate so it's made by me again.
AWESOME!! Do you still create the original formula???

Old 2012-06-30, 5:27pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Quote:
AWESOME!! Do you still create the original formula???
Yup. The only difference is that I am in school full time and work around my homework and test schedule. So there may be a delay of a day or 2 before orders go out.
Old 2012-06-30, 11:35pm

I was all ready to try PJ's bent mandrel trick on my Foster Fire today.
But, no need! All I did was add a capful of water and gave it a quick stir.
Good as new!

DeAnn

Minor Propane Oxycon SC2 Jim Moore Bead Press
Old 2012-06-30, 11:43pm

*capful = juice size not bead release size

DeAnn

Minor Propane Oxycon SC2 Jim Moore Bead Press
Old 2012-07-04, 10:43am
Dances With Fire

hehe..i have added so many different releases together..i dont even remember what the original was..except for my super blue sludge hehe

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2012-07-09, 6:42am
Queen Tut ;)

I'm wondering what I can add to help with grittiness. I know when I had one release that the beads would get stuck on the mandrels, I added one that had graphite in it...and voila, great bead release.

Any idea what can help with the grains? It's not getting any better no matter how much I blender it.

Jenne