Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-08-05, 7:48am

Default best 104 dichroic glass?

I want to find the best 104 dichroic glass. The one that is the most glitzy and least scummy. There have been lots of disappointing samples out there. For those that have found a good source, where do you buy it. Help!!!
Old 2013-08-05, 8:13am
Cheesehead Packer lover

I usually get mine from Frantz and Howaco Glass. The ends can sometimes get scummy on dichro, and also thicker pieces are sometimes troublesome. I usually use my stump shaper to gently push it down on the glass base I am using.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2013-08-05, 4:34pm
Missing presumed fed

Coatings by Sandberg is good quality. The premium colors are generally harder to burn off than the regular ones. I think that the premium colors are made with more passes of the coating machine than the regular ones, so the coating is actually thicker. CBS doesn't sell directly in quantities smaller than a half sheet, but the distributors who sell CBS usually identify it as CBS dichro. Go to the Coatings by Sandburg website to view colors and to figure out which are the premium colors.

Avoid the Candy Apple and Black Cherry colors until you've gotten some experience with dichro. Those colors have a reputation for being more likely to burn off than others. I'll admit, though, that I tried a sample of Candy Apple at the Gathering that was no trouble at all and came out beautifully.

Dichro strips that have been "fused" in the kiln seem to be easier to use, although I've talked to people who think it makes no difference. I'd try the fused strips and see how those work, and once you're comfortable, try working with unfused pieces to see if you see a difference.

The key to dichro is patience. Warm it gently and slowly before attaching to your bead, and try not to get the bead too hot after you've applied the dichro. I've fried plenty of dichro even after it's on the bead.

As soon as you apply the dichro, use a metal tool to push some clear glass over the sides and end of the dichro. The dichroic part isn't glass; it's some coating that was developed for the space program. If you don't seal it with clear glass, the coating will creep out and scum when the heat hits it. Sometimes you can pick off the scummy bits.
Old 2013-08-06, 6:48am

Thank you for your great responses!