No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-10-30, 5:26pm
just another tool fool...

Talking Question-Wired Mouse Tutorial coming very soon

Hi All,

I've been diligently working on my tutorial and it's nearly done, but I'm asking myself about the wire, and since I don't know the answer, I thought I'd ask you:

Does anyone care to know the details of recycling wire(yes its very "green" and I like doing it, but it is a bit of work), or should I assume that they'll buy wire off the shelf?

Also, will people using my tutorial have to go out and buy soldering irons and such, or will it likely sell to people who already have stained glass equipment?

I'd really appreciate any feedback you might have!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Click banner for my Etsy:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-30, 5:37pm
Ruebennesqueness Queenie

oh my!!!!!!!!! really? a wire mouse tut?
that's wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!
and yes, I'd apreciate the info on recycling wire. =)

Giving
a try!
Old 2008-10-30, 5:41pm
Dangerous Woman

I'd Love a tut on critters. But no, I have no stained glass equiptment at all.

Not that I wouldn't like another thing to spend the money I don't have on.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-10-30, 6:17pm
I think I could be a bead

I'd love a tut like this, too, but I don't have any stained glass equipment. I hate to have to buy any more equipment if at all possible. Thanks!

Old 2008-10-30, 6:26pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

If you're asking whether you should include information about soldering irons and other tools a person would need to make the mouse, I would say yes. I don't have a soldering iron, but would want to buy your tutorial and would need that info.

I personally would love to know about recycling wire.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-30, 6:30pm
Connie O

This looks like fun! I would like to know how to recycle wire and I do already have stained glass equipment.
Old 2008-10-30, 6:33pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Hey Maria, can't wait to see the tut finished.

Could people use a Michaels coupon to buy a simple soldering kit there? It is the one I use when I solder. Just a thought.

Old 2008-10-30, 7:00pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

I would most definately go out and buy the proper soldering equipment for this tutorial. It would be nice if you could recommend a few irons. I have one I bought from the hardware store for around 20 dollars and would like to know if it would be sufficient. I am so excited about this!!!! As for the wire, I would buy it or recycle it if it was easy enough.

I see alot of christmas mice in my families future!!

Jenny

Old 2008-10-30, 7:03pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

I really loved the mosquito you had on Etsy too.

Jenny

Old 2008-10-30, 7:26pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Well geeze honey! It's about time!!!
I think this will be a great tutorial!

I want to see one on your butterflies too.

As for the info - include everything and more.
Assume that people have no idea what a soldering iron
is and/or how to use one or where to buy it.
That way those that are advanced can skip over the parts
that they don't need, and the beginners are covered.

And of COURSE! Cover all the details about reclaiming wire
from recycling sources. Go green baby!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-10-30, 7:54pm

That mouse is darling!!! I don't have a soldering iron I think I gave it to my son....lol. Wonder if he still has it?
Good luck on your tutorial.
Old 2008-10-30, 8:35pm

Love that mouse! So glad to see you are doing a tutorial. I have the necessary equipment and if I didn't.... I would get it. Hope you do more of these...they are so neat. Can't wait until it is ready.
Colleen
Old 2008-10-31, 10:47am
Fire Diva

Excellent Maria..I can't wait to see your tutorial.

I think most people purchasing your tutorial will have to purchase the soldering equipment, etc.

Good luck with the final touches!!!

Old 2008-10-31, 5:43pm

I wanna know EVERYTHING! what sodering iron to use what kind of wire you se and where you get it. What position you hold your butt cheeks in---- (oh wait not that)---- while you are making this critter. You get my drift!
Jen
Old 2008-11-01, 7:08am
Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
Well geeze honey! It's about time!!!
I think this will be a great tutorial!

I want to see one on your butterflies too.

As for the info - include everything and more.
Assume that people have no idea what a soldering iron
is and/or how to use one or where to buy it.
That way those that are advanced can skip over the parts
that they don't need, and the beginners are covered.

And of COURSE! Cover all the details about reclaiming wire
from recycling sources. Go green baby!
I totally agree with Karen, Maria! Ma and I are waiting on this tut with baited breath, but it won't do us any good at all without some guidance on equipment we need.

And we'll probably be getting off-the-shelf wire just for the convenience, so clues on gauges and even suppliers would be great!

Now hurry up, woman!

Old 2008-11-01, 7:58am
just another tool fool...

I'm doing my best to get it finished this weekend. For those that don't have this stuff at hand, I'm also working on a kit with the supplies needed to do the tut- the recycled wire, solder, flux, patina and various mandrels...will that help?

Click banner for my Etsy:

Old 2008-11-01, 8:08am
Scientific Glass Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by whimzicalities View Post
I'm doing my best to get it finished this weekend. For those that don't have this stuff at hand, I'm also working on a kit with the supplies needed to do the tut- the recycled wire, solder, flux, patina and various mandrels...will that help?
thats a great idea maria. i would love to get this tutorial too. i love your mice.

Old 2008-11-01, 8:10am
Capp'in Fool

...... I think I already have all the tools...waiting to get this tut...Thanks Maria

Old 2008-11-01, 11:55am
Anyone need some spacers?

I have the tools and haven't used them in years. A refresher course on soldering would be nice.

The idea of reusing wire is wonderful and a great addition to the tut.

I wantex to make these for Christmas gifts so thanks for making that possible.

Old 2008-11-01, 1:39pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

Quote:
I think that's a great idea. I thought about suggesting kits for tuts, especially the ones that use specific glass etc.

Jenny

Old 2008-11-01, 1:47pm
Anyone need some spacers?

A kit is a wonderful idea.

Old 2008-11-01, 3:32pm

I want to buy this tute and I have no knowledge of soldering. My hubby has a soldering iron tho but I would probably want to buy my own and I would need info on wire size etc. A basic couple of pics on soldering would be good too if you can for us totally ignorant people. I am really looking forward to this one!

Kym
Old 2008-11-01, 4:22pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:

That will do it! All in one shopping! Who could ask for anything more!?!

I have silversmithing skills. Is soldering without a flame much differnet than soldering with a flame?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-11-01, 10:27pm
I speak Murrini!

Maria~~~

I'm thrilled to hear of your upcoming tutorial! I'm sure it will be a great success...

I have all the tools necessary, since I used to make stained glass kaleidoscopes. I think your offer to include a "kit" as a purchasable option is marvelous for those who want to dive in...

Nancy: Soldering with an iron is GREATLY different than using a soldering torch; the iron is much like a hot "scribe" that melts the solder with an electrically heated tip and requires no fuel (oxy/prop.) Flux is used to coat the surfaces that will be soldered to insure a smooth flow of the solder in melted state, so if you've not used a soldering "iron", you will be learning a new technique. It is quite simple, though, once you get the hang of it!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-11-01, 11:14pm

All in one shopping for this!!!!! I am all over that!
Jen
Old 2008-11-02, 1:47pm
Yeller Rose

Quote:
Definately! Barb