Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2009-02-04, 7:19pm

Default Is it Time for a new Frantz Bead Contest?

I was thinking of having a new Bead Contest, it has been a while and it was fun to do.

If you would be interested in seeing another contest, what theme?

Tiny Beads :max diameter 3/4 inch?
Beads in the shape of a Hamburger? "Hamburger Beads"

Let me know what you think.
How many winners?
What kind of booty?

If you have entered any previous bead contests, do you have any recommendations or issues of how we ran the contest?

I am waiting to hear from all of you.

Sincerely

Mike Frantz

Frantz Art Glass Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Torch Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2009-02-04, 7:22pm

Yes, it is time. I like the small beads contest. For sculptural, would it be smallest measurement in any direction is 3/4"?
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I like just knowing my work is in your collection, this is a nice way to make that happen... But winning would be good.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-02-04, 7:29pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Oooh! Sounds like fun! You could have several categories! Big beads, small beads, organics, florals, food beads, animals, whatever!

Says the small-bead-impaired beadmaker.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kelly

Old 2009-02-04, 7:37pm

Default Novice or Experienced?

Quote:
Oooh! Sounds like fun! You could have several categories! Big beads, small beads, organics, florals, food beads, animals, whatever!

Says the small-bead-impaired beadmaker.

Kelly
How about beginning, intermediate or advanced beadmakers? But what makes you which one?

mike

The Torch Website:

Old 2009-02-04, 8:24pm

Schermo has a great description on her site of the different skill levels... To be the most fair you could separate by beginner, advanced beginner, intermediate, advanced intermediate, advanced, and master... would separating by skill level be the most fair to each individual who enters?

I'm not sure if I was around when you had the last Bead Contest. How was it judged? Are the past winners and bead pictures posted somewhere? It sounds fun!

Old 2009-02-04, 9:12pm
Melt That Glass

I like the multi catagory idea. You could actually do two or three. Under 3/4 inch, 3/4 to 1 1/2, and then those above that size.

Glass is always a wonderful prize. Other prizes could be gift certificates, tools, foils, dichro strips, any one of the grab bags/boxes you put together.

There's my two cents worth.

Knight Bullet, 2 cons and tanked
Old 2009-02-04, 9:40pm

Default Bead Contest

Quote:
Schermo has a great description on her site of the different skill levels... To be the most fair you could separate by beginner, advanced beginner, intermediate, advanced intermediate, advanced, and master... would separating by skill level be the most fair to each individual who enters?

I'm not sure if I was around when you had the last Bead Contest. How was it judged? Are the past winners and bead pictures posted somewhere? It sounds fun!
I think you can find them at our newsletter.
Judging is always difficult, I first put all the bribes on one table and set the beads next to the appropriate bribe.

Next I put all the beads on the table (keep in mind that my methods of selection continually change) and bring one employee in at a time and tell them that "X" amount of beads must be eliminated and ask them to pick the number that I have chosen and then I wrote those numbers down and write the person who did the pulling. Then I put the beads back in and get another employee. When everyone has had their picks of the ones to first be eliminated and those that are the highest ones pulled, if they match with mine, then they get pulled and the rest go back into the table and then sometime soon I do it again, or if a very advanced beadmaker walks into the store we let them vote as well. One year we had Larry Brickman pick the winner of the Dot Bead Contest. The real problem is when you start with 100 beads and you get to the best 20, then the best 10 and the first, second and third. There is no formula, no rules, it is art and what is great to another might not be to the next. We let our visitors to our newsletter pick the Peoples Choice, but it is hard for them to see those things that make a difference from a ok bead to a great bead, it is that close up look that lets you see the flaws or the perfection.

Yes, a contest and soon.

mike

The Torch Website:

Old 2009-02-04, 9:47pm

What year was it?

Old 2009-02-04, 9:48pm

That sounds like a great method of choosing!

Old 2009-02-04, 10:58pm

Quote:
How about beginning, intermediate or advanced beadmakers? But what makes you which one?

mike

Maybe you could sidestep that issue by including a randomly drawn winner in addition to the judged ones?
Old 2009-02-05, 12:18am
Dot Princess

I Llike Dots

My little princess came Dec 30,2009 Still no time for beads
boy is she a demanding little thing.
Old 2009-02-05, 1:48am

Would you be accepting beads from the ....... say ........ Southern Hemisphere, like around the Australia area!!!!!!

I would love to have a go and I reckon the best prizes are glass related (only because I am a non-drinker Kimberly!)

Nat

Old 2009-02-05, 4:52am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Would you be accepting beads from the ....... say ........ Southern Hemisphere, like around the Australia area!!!!!!

I would love to have a go and I reckon the best prizes are glass related (only because I am a non-drinker Kimberly!)

Nat
good question, and how 'bout some dutch beads? ( and stroopwafels, maplesirup cookies)

Old 2009-02-05, 10:50am

Default World Entries

Quote:
good question, and how 'bout some dutch beads? ( and stroopwafels, maplesirup cookies)
We always take beads from everyplace and everyone! The question is what kind of contest. I need to start a poll.

mike

The Torch Website:

Old 2009-02-05, 12:10pm
CindyLynneGlass

I can make this REALLY EASY for you Choose me!!
Easy Peasy!!

Old 2009-02-05, 1:03pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

murini beads?

Old 2009-02-05, 4:35pm
Fire Diva

Coolio!! A new bead contest....I am all in for whatever theme you come up with!!

Old 2009-02-05, 4:54pm
Smile, it's contagious!

3/4" is considered small??????

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2009-02-05, 5:09pm

Anything under 1" is small in my book! I have your Snowpig and he is the cutest wee thing!

Old 2009-02-11, 3:08pm
The Crazy One

I like BIGGEST bead best! Why not biggest and smallest?

I really need to finish that 13oz Moretti Ivory bead...
Old 2009-02-11, 3:45pm
make beads not war

I think the last one was in '06, the "Anything Goes Bead Contest".
Old 2009-02-11, 5:12pm

What ever Mike I am in. Can't be anything but fun.
Teresa
Old 2009-02-13, 5:46am
Apparently Invisible

OOOH, I wanna play!

(giving my best-est puppy dog eyes)

Old 2009-02-13, 7:23am
Still makin' flowers...

I was going to say "silliest bead" but that woulda given Sharon P and Loco advantages!!! (waves at them both) Okay, I like the biggest bead idea best. I'm not one for little stuff...

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2009-02-13, 8:07am

Biggest or smallest is a great idea. I also like the idea of having skill levels judged together. The worst of some of these artist's beads will always be better than my best. Not sure how you would qualify the levels, though. That one's tricky.

Glass, glass, glass for prizes. Who doesn't need more glass??

Old 2009-02-15, 11:53am

Default how about

working with colors outside your comfort zone???

May the love of animals inspire you, teach you & heal you...
Old 2009-02-15, 12:29pm

I kinda like the hamburger bead idea!

Jen
Old 2009-02-15, 12:38pm

I like the little bead idea. Sounds like fun Mike.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2009-02-15, 1:09pm
Queen Of the Kitty Parade

I'm in on whatever you all decide...I may not win but i am always up for the challenge and darnit I LOVE TO HAVE FUN!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 2009-02-15, 6:21pm
M & D Designs

Tiny is a very good idea. There are some great tiny beads