Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-18, 12:21pm

Default Bead Release Troubles

I am having a terrible problem with bead release. I doesn't matter what kind I use it is all breaking. I have never had this problem until recently. Any clues?

I am not over working my beads and I don't think I am letting it get cold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by purpledragonfly; 2012-03-18 at 12:26pm.
Old 2012-03-18, 3:02pm
Fried Cat

Yeesh! I know!!! Humidity maybe? Dipping the release during cold weather and having an unseasonable heat wave the next week? I'm having the exact same problem. I'm not tugging on the glass or overheating the mandrel, causing the release to burn. I use Foster Fire smooth and tuff. It's been acting like cheap sh*t out from the kits. And I know Fosterfire isn't the issue.
Old 2012-03-18, 3:05pm
Ready to hit the road

I thin my bead release down and double dip. The release doesn't break and I don't have problems getting beads off the mandrels.

Old 2012-03-18, 3:28pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

I have not found double dipping to be helpful with my FosterFire. Maybe somebody else can say differently, but I don't think so. One thing that I end up saying alot: if my bead release is too thick it doesn't work as well. It should be like tomato sauce from a can. Some people use it very thin and get great results.
Old 2012-03-18, 3:34pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Cool! I thought it was just me....!

I use FF ST and really like it, but the last 6 mandrels have been crappy--I'm thinking its the cold temps in the garage plus needing to thin it, and waiting overnight might work better for me. We'll see today!!

Old 2012-03-18, 3:41pm

I use foster fire smooth and tough also. It is the right thickness. Although my studio is in a temperature controlled environment (AC and heat) it is quiet humid here. I don't double dip either.

I should say that I have had the same problem with fusion and mama g's.

So I have no clue what I am doing wrong.

Old 2012-03-18, 4:44pm
Unmedicated since '62

i am very very much liking Fosterfire - smooooth and hasnt let go yet

Autumn, are you using new mandrels? mine always breaks on new mandrels unless i burn them in well

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-03-18, 4:50pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
I have not found double dipping to be helpful with my FosterFire. Maybe somebody else can say differently, but I don't think so. One thing that I end up saying alot: if my bead release is too thick it doesn't work as well. It should be like tomato sauce from a can. Some people use it very thin and get great results.
That answers my issues then. I saw where you mentioned the consistency in another thread. I dipped mine a little thicker last time. I noticed, but thought "meh, it shouldn't make much difference."

I guess it does!
Old 2012-03-18, 4:53pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledragonfly View Post
I use foster fire smooth and tough also. It is the right thickness. Although my studio is in a temperature controlled environment (AC and heat) it is quiet humid here. I don't double dip either.

I should say that I have had the same problem with fusion and mama g's.

So I have no clue what I am doing wrong.
Sounds like similar working environments. My studio garage is also temperature controlled. I'm going to take Robin's advice and dip a little thinner the next time. I've only had the issues since using brand new dipped mandrels.
Old 2012-03-18, 5:29pm
Wyoming Silvers

It would be nice to solve this as i have a couple tubs that always flake off.. I just bought new rather than fight it..

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2012-03-18, 5:30pm
Wyoming Silvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybead View Post
It would be nice to solve this as i have a couple tubs that always flake off.. I just bought new rather than fight it..
Btw it is very dry where i live

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2012-03-18, 5:48pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGA View Post
Sounds like similar working environments. My studio garage is also temperature controlled. I'm going to take Robin's advice and dip a little thinner the next time. I've only had the issues since using brand new dipped mandrels.
are you burning your mandrels in?

Old 2012-03-18, 6:00pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
are you burning your mandrels in?
Oh, oh, oh. Whoops.

I should have said freshly dipped mandrels. New = just dipped opposed to old = mandrels I dipped weeks ago and haven't used.
Old 2012-03-18, 7:01pm
Unmedicated since '62

so newly dipped old well used mandrels?

or newly dipped new mandrels?

Old 2012-03-18, 7:13pm
Fried Cat

Newly dipped well used mandrels.

Sorry, Southern US colloquialisms coming out to play.
Old 2012-03-18, 8:12pm

Quote:
i am very very much liking Fosterfire - smooooth and hasnt let go yet

Autumn, are you using new mandrels? mine always breaks on new mandrels unless i burn them in well

No Deb I am not using new mandrels. Using the same mandrels I have been using for 1 year or better.

Old 2012-03-19, 2:25pm
offically down under

I have found my bead release can get flaky when it needs to be thinned down. Add just a bit of water (distilled if you have a lot of minerals in your water) and then mix it really well. Add more if you need to. I like my release so it just about drips off the mandrel.

Old 2012-03-20, 9:34am
Glass-aholic

Maybe time to scrub up your mandrels with dish soap and a steel wool scrubbie. I have to do this every few months if I dont, all my bead release cracks. I think its just a build up oils (or whatever) on the mandrels.

If you thin.. use vodka rather than water flavored vodka that smells great (but is not necessarily your favorite flavor sitting in the cabinet adds a nice yummy smell to the studio mm maybe i should rename my studio... martini bead studio....................has a nice ring! hell I used ammeretto once in bead release WORKED AMAZING!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-03-21, 4:27pm

On another forum, I read that someone cleaned their mandrels in the dishwasher and after that the bead release flaked off
Old 2012-03-21, 4:40pm
T.J. made me do it

Make sure your release isn't too thick, rough up new mandrels with emory cloth and after you dip tap the un-dipped end of the mandrel on a hard surface so it makes the particles cling smoother to the mandrel.

Old 2012-03-21, 6:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame n fuse View Post
On another forum, I read that someone cleaned their mandrels in the dishwasher and after that the bead release flaked off

I only use my dishwasher for dishes.....I don't even put my glass rods in the dishwasher, but thanks for letting me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnglass View Post
Make sure your release isn't too thick, rough up new mandrels with emory cloth and after you dip tap the un-dipped end of the mandrel on a hard surface so it makes the particles cling smoother to the mandrel.
My bead release isn't too thick, not using any new mandrels. I will try the tapping suggestions to see if it helps. Thanks

Old 2012-03-21, 6:55pm
T.J. made me do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledragonfly View Post
My bead release isn't too thick, not using any new mandrels. I will try the tapping suggestions to see if it helps. Thanks
Actually, you should use emery cloth periodically on your mandrels to clean them after they are dry.

Old 2012-03-21, 9:40pm
Unmedicated since '62

i've found that if they are even the slightest bit damp when i dip them the BR flakes off - nowdays i leave them sit on top of the kiln so they're bone dry before i dip them

Old 2012-03-21, 10:11pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
i've found that if they are even the slightest bit damp when i dip them the BR flakes off - nowdays i leave them sit on top of the kiln so they're bone dry before i dip them
Uh huh...

Guess what I've been doing the last couple times I dipped. Until recently I had washed, dried and then dipped. I got lazy and decided the drying was an extra step. Wash and dip. I sort of figured the little bit of water would mixed in with the BR and we'd move on.
Old 2012-03-21, 10:22pm
Unmedicated since '62

i think it sort of puts a layer between the BR and the metal - thats my theory anyway

Old 2012-03-23, 9:10am
working to pay for glass

question I just bought some foster fire smooth and tuff..but it is definitely not smooth ?
is it supposed to have a lot of little bits in it ? It is quite thick and very single rod the release gave way ..I really was disappointed ..and on the beads I was able to finish and save the inside was really pitted from the bits of stuff ?

I usually use fusion which IS smooth in comparison ? I ordered more fusion
but I wonder if there wasn't possibly something wrong with the foster fire ?

any ideas?
Old 2012-03-23, 10:29am

This would prolly be a question best answered by Robyn, but I don't think mine was real gritty. Did you try shaking it really well? I had two bottles of FF S&T and only the second bottle gave me any trouble, but fusion was also giving me trouble and suspect it is most likely user error. FF S&T likes to be the consistency of tomato sauce so I would a little bit of distilled water to it and shake it really well and see if that helps.

Old 2012-03-23, 10:56am
Fried Cat

My FF is a wee bit gritty but I had been using it a bit thick. Usually I run my fingers over the dried mandrels just a little tiny bit and very very lightly. It smooths out.

Try thinning it down some.

Deb, I made sure the mandrels were dry. Thanks for the tip. No more issues.
Old 2012-03-23, 12:35pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Honestly, I make my own release now and I have ceased having any problems. Incan doctor it up if it starts acting funny or run it through my old blender. I really love making my own release. Additionally, I have 20 pounds of powdered supplies to make my own. I am not sure I will ever have to buy more again. LOL!
Old 2012-03-23, 1:36pm
working to pay for glass

thanks i will try thinning it out a bit ..i gather it is supposed to be gritty though ..I am not used to that !
how do you make your own is there a recipe somewhere?