Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-06-08, 8:01am

Default Question ???

For the life of me I can't remember what was used to remove the scale from silver we melt onto the glass. It's been years since I have attempted to do this and I just cant remember what the heck I used

Liz R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2012-06-08, 1:23pm
Isellstuff&alsothings

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing but I use Whink rust & stain remover to remove fire scale off copper green beads and stuff like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-06-08, 1:45pm
Lampworkaholic!

If you are using fine silver there should be no firescale. I would not use any other silver on a bead.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-06-08, 1:53pm

Elizabeth
I did use fine silver but it seems to have a scale on it anyway. I know at one time ( ab. 15 years ago) there was a product that would remove this scale from the silver. I use to have some but goodnes only knows where I have it stashed right now. I've had to move my studio about 3 times since I used it last soooooo, hmmm
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2012-06-08, 3:09pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Are you talking about pickle? I think Sparex is the brand name of the kind I have.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-06-08, 4:32pm

Sparex, Or Tarnex removes tarnish. Black bottle.

Fine silver does tarnish but much more slowly... The silver reacts with the sulphides (hope that's right) in the air.

Old 2012-06-08, 5:05pm
Wonder-wench

hot vinegar and salt solution will remove firescale and not etch glass (at least not in the few hours I've left stuff in there).