LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-06-13, 9:09am

Default Does ANYONE love these Vetro colours?

I have a few odd lots of Vetrofond that I can't seem to learn to love, or even like. I'm wondering if anyone loves them, what made you love them, or what you made with them. Any tricks for making them good?

Swamp Moss
Apricot Jam
Cosmic Swirl
Lichen
Carrot Red Sparkle
Candy Corn

Thanks!

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-06-13, 9:40am

I kinda like cosmic swirl but I still cant seem to find a complimentary glass to go with it, I am going to use it for sculptural stuff like dragons. I think Lichen might make a good shard maybe. As for the rest I havent tried them, though I have heard that several people like swamp moss for making frogs.
Old 2012-06-13, 9:41am
Glass Addict

Yes!!! Love Lichen, Candy Corn and Red Carrot Sparkle is a MUST HAVE for my autumn-colored palette of beads

Old 2012-06-13, 10:46am

Do you have any pictures? Any tips? My last candy corn bead ended up square, and it was so ugly I etched it, and it now looks like a (stringable) block of warm cheddar cheese.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-06-13, 10:51am
flight risk

Lichen is one of my favorites. These are lichen with a stripe of SIS, I love the teal color that comes out.

Most of the colors on the list show more variegation the longer you work them and the more you smush them around.

Old 2012-06-13, 11:32am

Lichen and SIS. I'll have to try that.

Facebook:

Old 2012-06-13, 11:44am

Cosmic Swirl kitty. I have one in the kiln made with candy corn.
Attached Images

Available as an audiobook

Susan Hasler--torch-wielding novelist
Old 2012-06-13, 1:33pm

Love lichen as a background for reducing silver glass.

Old 2012-06-13, 3:48pm

Lichen is awesome. Use it like any neutral, and it does love silver.
Old 2012-06-13, 7:45pm

So far lichen's a keeper, but still having a hard time justifying the others...

Facebook:

Old 2012-06-13, 7:48pm
Formerly FishBulb

I don't have pics, but I used Carrot Red Sparkle as a base with lime green 3D flowers on top, and that turned out awesome. I did have a skull I made with Cosmic Storm but I can't find a pic of that either.

I love most of the old Vetrofond colours and am sad they aren't being made anymore.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-06-13, 8:01pm
Artistically Absorbed

Lichen loves silver glass, like everyone else said. Red Carrot Sparkle, is a wonderful bright red orange...one of my favorites!! Pulled thin it is sotra transluscent and as a base it looks opaque. I'll be sad when it is all gone. Cosmic storm, I have had some fun using psyche with it...haven't tried other silvers, but if you encase it just make sure to lay down a clear base, because it acts like a coral. Haven't tried Candy Corn or Swamp Moss. Hate Apricot Jam...haven't found a single thing to do with it, ugliest color ever..IMHO!
-Echo

Red Carrot Sparkle base...

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Last edited by EchoTantuli; 2012-06-13 at 8:08pm. Reason: add picture
Old 2012-06-14, 10:59am

I have the swamp moss and the candy corn.. I really like them alot.
Sorry I don't have any pictures.
Old 2012-06-14, 11:48am

I like the Carrot Sparkle in twisties too.
Old 2012-06-14, 2:32pm

I'm not sure which orange sparkle this was - Carrot? Tangerine? - but it makes fab aliens and cats.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2012-06-14, 2:51pm

Wow! I LOVE that first alien! The bottom one definitely looks like tangerine sparkle. Which I also recently got 1 1/4 lb of!

Facebook:

Old 2012-06-14, 2:59pm

Thanks, I love the sparkly colors. Pineapple Sparkle rocks, and it's half the reason I play with Bullseye - their sparkly greens and blues are yummy.

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2012-06-15, 3:51am

I was a lover of the first lot of Swamp moss I bought. It had a translucency I really liked and looked like amber. I then ordered a lot of it, and got... Well not the color I had the first time around. This is opaque muddy pea green with internal rings of different colors. Yielding a not very attractive result. So, are we talking about the same colors?

Old 2012-06-18, 7:36am

Awww, I can justify the kitty's color! He's so cute!

Old 2012-06-18, 10:11am
Salt Box Beads

Any not loved colors can usually be turned into LUV colors by turning them into silvered stringers. Some of the ugliest colors make great silvered stringers.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...ered+stringers
Old 2012-06-18, 2:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadiesJewels View Post
I was a lover of the first lot of Swamp moss I bought. It had a translucency I really liked and looked like amber. I then ordered a lot of it, and got... Well not the color I had the first time around. This is opaque muddy pea green with internal rings of different colors. Yielding a not very attractive result. So, are we talking about the same colors?
Not too sure. Probably. I only used it once.

Facebook:

Old 2012-06-18, 6:50pm
Chief Creative Goddess

I love Lichen!

If you need to get rid of some...!

Tags
oddlot, vetrofond