Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-30, 5:45am

Default Favorite tools?

What are your favorite tools for bead making?
So far I have the Shaping Marver and Roller, that came in my beginners kit.
Is there any other tools that would be helpful to a beginner?
Old 2013-04-30, 6:24am
Echo's Mother

Corina's Magic Wand
Old 2013-04-30, 6:25am

Tools, isn't that a loaded question. lol
There are so many things (tools) out there that it can be over whelming. I am still a newbie, so I get to say things like that and get away with it. Plus, I buy just about everything that comes my way that I think is cool or will help me out. What I have found is that I use my small handheld marver, the torch marver that came with my hothead most of the time. I do use a bead roller that I got and I am I am going to be looking for another one. The next most used is my marble mold. Other than a few pokers and dental tools that is about it. OH almost forgot I got this tool from Arrow Springs It is called a Shaping tool. I use it alot for pressing the glass and shaping.
As you get used to the glass and zone in on what you like making or want to make different tools will help you. Getting to many at one time will not only make you broke, it will make you crazy trying to learn to use them all at the same time. (ask me how I know).
The best thing you can do as you start is learning to control the glass and get your basic shapes with the tools you already have. Even though I have a bunch of different "tools" I still practice the basic shapes every time I sit down at the torch.
I am still learning and I hope to be learning for a long time. Every time you have a mess up don't feel as if you have failed; look at it in the learning experience and you will be flying along.
Good luck.

Last edited by Cherri; 2013-04-30 at 6:29am.
Old 2013-04-30, 6:58am
Artistically Absorbed

My most used tools are tweezers, followed by mini shapers, cg bead rollers, and razor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-04-30, 7:10am
I fart diamonds

Needle nose pliers, brass butter knife, Kim Cone & Vessel Shaper (even though I don't make cones & vessels...)

Old 2013-04-30, 10:41am
SCIENCE Teacher!

I love my small stump shaper, my plier handled mashers, bent tweezers and tungsten pick.
Old 2013-04-30, 11:01am
novembersfyre everywhere

I have tons of tools. Many of these are useful for a very specific purpose and that's OK. But my very favorite general purpose tool is this:

You can get it here - The Osibin Curve Shaper (scroll down):

http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/shaping_tools.html

The back functions as a regular flat marver. The wide curved surface is amazing for helping you shape beads where you want them to be curved - not flat. Even if you have used another tool to initially shape your bead - you can use this one to finish it! I just love it and I use it during every torch session. You can also use it as a frit holder with a handle! And it is a good tool to hold your silver leaf or foil as the curved sides keep them from blowing away.

Old 2013-04-30, 4:58pm
Echo's Mother

I love everything I have purchased from Graceful Customs. They are well made quality tools. And yes, cg bead rollers and Zoozii's presses and on and on and on ......
Old 2013-04-30, 6:22pm

Guys, thanks for all the advice. All the tools look so cool and I'm gonna try and control myself from buying stuff I don't need, but it sure is hard and it adds up fast! I'm gonna practice more this weekend and hopefully my beads won't look like used chewing gum again!
Old 2013-04-30, 7:14pm
Missing presumed fed

4x3 graphite paddle, small brass stump shaper, non-serrated needle nose pliers, tweezers, tungsten pick (I use the one with the hooked end more than the one with the straight end), barbecue mashers, rod nippers, razor blade tool
Old 2013-05-01, 4:29am

It can help to set a budget then simply watch the garage sale.
Then you have to decide, glass, tools, findings, classes, trips, shows, or upgrade to your workspace.

Old 2013-05-01, 6:22am
Lampworkaholic!

Tungsten bent tweezer.

Arrow Springs Greedy Grabber.

Guarino graphite paddle.

Catwalk grooved brass marver.

Catwalk wide crunch.

Corina stainless steel pokers and Magic Wand.

Small teaspoon for frit.

CG Beads giant 4x6 paddle and Egg roller.

Bellflower press!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-05-01, 6:27am

My favorite tool in my national m-8 torch, with out it we would not need any of the other tools. All kidding aside, I would have to say my magic wand is an often used tool.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-05-01, 8:17am
I like to melt things

I have quite a few tools now, but this is the set I want with me every time I torch. Everything else gets used (or not *sigh*) much more infrequently. I could go for months using nothing but these tools if I didn't need to drag my lentil press off the shelf periodically to make test beads for my blog.

- Graphite Pad
- Small Graphite Marver
- Jumbo Rollabout Mashers (from Graceful Customs)
- Tweezer Mashers
- Large Spoon
- Beading Awl
- Brass Poking Tool
- Dental Tool w/ Curved Spatula Ends
- Nail Set
- Lake w/ flat blade and sharp poking end (from Artco Inc)
- Tweezers

My favourite press is my Zoozii's Medium+ Duo, and my favourite CG Beadroller is the Small Ovals.

-
-
Old 2013-05-01, 11:49am

I am still quite the newbie, but the tools I use the most are my Corina stainless steel pokers, Magic Wand, small bead shaper, my tungsten tweezers I got from Germany and last and most important to me is Graceful customs Hold me Tight. I have one of these now and I think I might order another in case I am working with an additional shorty and need to have it ready to use. I can't believe I didn't purchase that holder when I first started. Now I can use each rod up until the very, very end; especially my Zephyr clear...don't want to waste any of it!

Have fun! My tool collection is growing into brass presses and rollers now. lol

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-05-01, 1:36pm

The cylinder graphite speed shaper from Arrow Springs, my graphite shaper with open channels, tungsten pick, needlenose pliers, stainless steel chopsticks, and a little brass stylus.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-05-02, 8:33am

Anything Carlo Dona
Magic Wand
Corina's Pokers

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG
Old 2013-05-02, 4:29pm
one day at a time

A must have if you are a newbie is a parallel masher. Here's one like mine:

http://www.artcoinc.com/beadpress.php

The brass mashers with the pins are much easier to use than the paddle type. I've tried them all and this the best one in my opinion as far as a basic masher to make tabular beads. Raise it on a large can and you can bend down just a little to see at eye level, and it's even better. I use the tall Campbell's condensed soup can, or any can in that size for the height and weight.
Old 2013-05-02, 4:37pm

I have a set if dental tools that are always within reach...I tend to do a lot of fine raking though and if used right, you can move just the top layers of the glass.

Beaded Chic

Old 2013-05-02, 6:01pm

I am a tool junkie, but my favorite and most useful tool is the Osibin Lentil Shaper. It serves as a frit tray, lentil mold, the sides are great for flat marvering, and you can roll beautiful olives with it. I can always even out a bead that's going wonky with it, too. Just a very versatile tool.

Nolly
Old 2013-05-03, 6:04pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
4x3 graphite paddle, small brass stump shaper, non-serrated needle nose pliers, tweezers, tungsten pick, barbecue mashers, rod nippers, razor blade tool
Apart from my presses & bead rollers, these tools that Emily listed are what I use & couldn't live without. My brass stump shaper has a brass knife blade at the other end which is a great bonus.

Old 2013-05-07, 8:46am
Creative Spirit

Hands down my smircich tail stock holder! couldn't live without it!

Peace Wendy
Old 2013-05-07, 9:08am
T.J. made me do it

Stump Shaper, Greedy Grabber, brass micrometer, needle nose pliers, set of spoons for frit and small mashers are the tools that I use everyday.

Old 2013-05-08, 2:41pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeSpirit View Post

Peace Wendy
Oh, yes...that is a MUST. I don't make a single bead without it! But I wore mine out and had to make my own with a thick rod of boro. lol
Old 2013-05-08, 6:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Oh, yes...that is a MUST. I don't make a single bead without it! But I wore mine out and had to make my own with a thick rod of boro. lol
Is this a stabilizer for the bead?
Old 2013-05-09, 9:19am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeSpirit View Post

Peace Wendy
I was looking for this one before I wrote it down. It changed my life as a newbie beadmaker. I don't pick it up all that much anymore but will still use it occasionally for larger beads. My first and second year in lampworking I was never without it.

Old 2013-05-09, 9:20am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugmommie View Post
Is this a stabilizer for the bead?
It is. It's a rod of brass with a dimple carved into it where you can place the tip of the mandrel. In essence, it's like being able to hold onto both sides of the mandrel. Arrow Springs carries them I believe.

Old 2013-05-10, 9:12am
Puddy Cat Lover

Along with most lampworkers, there are tools you use all the time. Tweezers, brass marvers, pokers, etc. But one of my all time favorite tools that I picked up recently at Howaco glass is the frit spoon. LOVE IT!!! I wish I had 10 of them now. Easy to use. Love the bent handle which makes it so easy to pick up and bring close to the flame so your bead doesn't cool too much before adding the frit. Here's a picture of it.

J.
Attached Images

Old 2013-05-10, 9:18am
one day at a time

I'm going to make some squeezed (aka crunched) beads this weekend so you can see what those look like.
Old 2013-05-10, 10:26pm
Naysayer

Look at thrift stores also, a tool I use nightly is a stainless canape knife for shaping, flattening murrini, so on. Sometimes you can find frit holders (aka old spoons, aluminum tins, etc)

Tools I use every torch session, the above mentioned, a smasher/shaper I made from bending a strip of stainless sheet in half, tungsten pick, flat marver.

I've torched since 2005 and I really do not have many tools, I improvise a lot. Like using the bottom of soda cans as frit trays.
...oh! somewhere around here is a thread of thrifty tools, that's a fun thread that saves the pocketbook!
Err I cannot find the thread :/

Last edited by Ravenesque; 2013-05-10 at 10:30pm.