Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2013-08-25, 2:34pm

Default What glasses to get for lampworking?

Ha, just kidding. I'm not going to ask what glasses everyone thinks I should get for lampworking. My question is actually a little more technical. to start i'm probably going to work soft glass like 96 or 90 coe however i'd like the capabilities to work boro as well without hurting my eyes. So my question is, if I get some Green Ace Infrared glasses in shade 3 will I be able to see when i'm working soft glass and will they be adequate protection when working boro? Or do you guys normally purchase glasses for soft glass and a different pair for working boro?
Old 2013-08-25, 3:31pm
Loving learning

I have only done a little bit of boro.
I put clip on shade 3s on my regular lampwork glasses, but don't know what the more experienced people do.
Old 2013-08-25, 4:32pm
Salt Box Beads

Maybe ask in the library in the BORO room
Old 2013-08-25, 6:09pm
kinda torching....

Yes they will work. For both boro and soft glass.
Old 2013-08-25, 6:45pm
Loving learning

But they don't take care of the sodium flare, do they?
Old 2013-08-25, 6:48pm
kinda torching....

Yea I have the wale wear shade 3s, there $65 brand new!
Old 2013-08-25, 6:51pm
kinda torching....

Its the clip ons for didys that you can't use by themselves. I love my glasses, very light weight and great protection.
Old 2013-08-25, 6:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
But they don't take care of the sodium flare, do they?
Well from what I understand the normal 202 glasses are good for normal lampworking but for boro you need a darker lens (ACE glasses). I'm trying to see if there is a pair that allows me to do both. So I only need to purchase one set of glasses
Old 2013-08-25, 6:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamilton117 View Post
Yea I have the wale wear shade 3s, there $65 brand new!
They work well for you? do you work boro and soft glass? If they are effective and $65 that's great. if there are $65 pairs that work just fine why are there the pairs of glasses that are like $165? what are the added benefits?
Old 2013-08-25, 7:03pm
I'm meeeeelting

Some people wear split lens glasses that are lighter on top and darker on the bottom. That may be a way to get glasses for both soft glass and boro. You can use boro glasses for soft, but they may darker than you'll want.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-08-26, 1:24am
Alaska Boro

A diddy shield from Blue Moon Glassworks in front of the torch acts as a face shield plus removes the sodium flare from boro.

Then add a pair of chip on flip ups in shade 3 from Air Gas or other welding supply stores. These are nice in that they can be flipped up when not needed or doing hard to see detail work.
Old 2013-08-29, 10:25am
Missing presumed fed

ACE (Amethyst Contrast Enhancement, or something like that) is what we're wearing for soft glass these days. ACE has pretty much replaced didymium, but the old terminology sticks around. (As do the glasses. I still have a pair of actual didys.)

Generally, for working colored boro, it's recommended to have a shade 3 (or darker) welding-type lens. Most people find that too dark for working soft glass.

Here's a pair of soft glass lenses with a shade 3 flip-up for a reasonable price. Looks like the flip-up part might be permanently attached, though -- I don't know whether that would get to be annoying. I guess that's an individual thing.

Wale also has what they call an "SB" lens, which they recommend for soft glass and clear boro (which I suppose puts off less flare than colored boro). It's not recommended for colored boro, but I suppose it would be better than working colored boro with regular ACE (soft glass) glasses.

The price difference may have to do either with the lenses or the frames. Plastic lenses are cheaper than glass lenses. I don't know enough to give an opinion on the advantages/disadvantages of the lens type. Generally, more money will get you better quality frames. If the inexpensive frames fit you and are comfortable, go for it. If you really get the glass addiction, down the road you might or might not want to try different frame styles. (Usually the least expensive frames are too large for me, so I need to go to a price range where there's more choice in styles.)

I wouldn't commit to the split lens style glasses until I'd had a chance to try some on. The ones I've seen are a full glass lens with a half lens, also glass, glued on, which makes the glasses really heavy. Not what I'd want to wear for spending hours at the torch, but YMMV.

You can buy plastic clip-on welder's shades to put on top of your soft glass glasses. I remember hearing something about the color in them fading over a relatively short period of time, so you'd end up replacing them from time to time (six months? A year? I forget.) I heard that some years ago, though, so it might be that technology has improved for even the cheapo clip-ons, so they don't fade.

Last edited by Emily; 2013-08-29 at 10:43am.