TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2016-07-05, 6:41pm

Default How to sculpt a soft glass hummingbird

If you'd like to try some off mandrel work, check out my new YouTube video tutorial. I'd love to see what you come up with. https://youtu.be/TKgo3wEXwSI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Buffalo, NY
Old 2016-07-05, 7:33pm

Default First attempt

After watching your tutorial several times, these are two of my three attempts. Bird #2 had no eyes-I forgot that step, then his wings fell off when I took it out of the kiln. Am still psyched to try try again! Great tutorial, thank you!

Old 2016-07-05, 8:10pm

Default Your hummingbirds

Having wings, beaks, or tails fall off happens when the glass you're adding and the place you're adding it to aren't the same temperature. Make sure both pieces are glowing brightly then remove from the flame and attach the pieces. If the weld is good, you shouldn't see the seam. The glass will have flowed together. If the wings cracked somewhere other than the attachment point, you may have either hit the wing with the flame after it was cool or thermal stress built up in the glass for a variety of reasons. For example if you robbed the glass of heat with your mashers by keeping them on the glass too long or trying to move the glass when it had cooled off, stress builds up and can cause cracks. Does that help?

- Buffalo, NY
Old 2016-07-06, 7:02am

Yes, it was thermal stress because I didn't get the wing stretched out well enough the first or second time, or the third... ; )

Tags
buffalo, expressive glass, hummingbird, off hand, off mandrel, soft glass, tutorial, vicki, video