Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-11-13, 9:40am
Dix Harrison

Default Question: What would your dream glass be?

Surprise!
You wake up one morning in a dream world.

On the pillow next to you is an envelope.
You open the envelope to find a letter from "CDG" (Custom Dream Glass, a well-respected US manufacturer of glass for the lampwork community.)

Dear Lampwork Artist:

We are seeking to expand our product line and wish to have the input of our most valued customers. We invite you to submit a description of your ideal dream glass. We will customize a formula specifically for you, produce the glass, and as a bonus will make it free of charge to you in perpetuity.

Please forward a description of your custom dream glass to us ASAP. Of course, any details that you can provide such as color parameters, working properties, etc. would be highly appreciated and ensure your satisfaction. You must also choose a name for your custom formula.

We look forward to making your dream come true!

Sincerely,

Benjamin Oz
Glass Wizard CDG

Wow! This is the opportunity for which you've always wished.
So...what would your request be?

[/size]
Old 2012-11-13, 9:43am
Jacqueline Parkes

Dark Ivory in 90 and 96 COE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-11-13, 9:46am
Flame Dames Rule!

Bright, non-streaky Opaque Raspberry with the same working properties as Effetre Ivory - ie, cooperative and non-shocky and whatyouseeiswhatyouget. No weirdness, no striking, just RASPBERRY!

I'd call it RaspBerryBerryWonderful.

Here's the color and opacity I want. I've been whining for this for 15 years. Somebody? MAKE IT SO!
Attached Images

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2012-11-13, 9:54am

Clio/kaypso in 90 coe
Old 2012-11-13, 10:10am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Devilish!

Works like boro unless of course you want to do soft.
Takes heat like clear with no boiling or scumming, or bubbles.
Strikes in the flame or in the kiln to any color you want it to be.
Doesn't care if the flame is oxidizing or reducing or neutral.

Are we there yet?
Old 2012-11-13, 10:12am
Nikki Haverstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
Bright, non-streaky Opaque Raspberry with the same working properties as Effetre Ivory - ie, cooperative and non-shocky and whatyouseeiswhatyouget. No weirdness, no striking, just RASPBERRY!

Here's the color and opacity I want. I've been whining for this for 15 years. Somebody? MAKE IT SO!
This!

Old 2012-11-13, 10:18am
Lampworkaholic!

Clio Dark Transparent slow strike.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-11-13, 10:35am

Quote:

This. And it doesn't DEVIT!!!!!

Old 2012-11-13, 12:53pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

As much as I dislike the color pink as a general rule, this is the only color that I want to use, and doesn't exist. It's not my dream color, but it's the only color I can't find.

See, I may not like the color pink, but I do have a 3 year old girl who does.

My dream color would be medium denim blue, non-streaky, non-boily, smooth and creamy to melt, and - just 'cause I remember how hard it was at the beginning - soft enough to work well in a hot head.

I would call it "Levi's 501".

Quote:

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-11-13, 2:04pm
Dix Harrison

Geez...I just KNEW it!

You guys are SO freaking creative and cool with your dream glass ideas.

I swear, I am going to forward this thread to all major US glass manufacturers when we hit 100 posts. They need these ideas.
Old 2012-11-13, 2:15pm
Steph

I'd love a beautiful pale mint green opaque - that blends smoothly with itself when extra swipes are added - no lines! And definitely does not boil or devit no matter how often it's pressed or how long it's worked!

I'd also love a non-striking transparent hot pink - that stays the same colour it is in the rod and doesn't get darker or become a bit brown as it's worked!

Sigh .... if only

My Etsy Shop and Inner Depth Tutorial:

Come like me at:
Old 2012-11-13, 2:23pm

Ditto...SharonP's request for raspberry....
Old 2012-11-13, 2:46pm
I like to melt things

I want a transparent brown/black. There's lots of reddish browns, orangey browns and greenish browns, but I want a dark, saturated, transparent ashy brown colour that doesn't tend red or green. Like CiM Adamantium, if only it was transparent.

I also really want a medium, bright transparent coral.

Also, could i please have a dark, saturated grass green that is so dense it looks black in the rod? Like that odd lot of CiM Slytherin that was almost black. Someday I will run out of what I have stashed away and if there's nothing to replace it with I will cry.

I can live without that hideous pink colour everyone else wants, but I really need these ones in 104.

And a pony, please

-
-
Old 2012-11-13, 2:48pm
burnin' glass just becuz

yup, we need a few 104 opaque hot pinks - no more pastel, bubble gum or Barbie pinks - several deep opaque fuschia shades please! A bright opaque salmon pink would be nice too.

i agree with the opaque denim blue also - Lauscha steel blue is close but not quite there

Lastly, i'd really like an opaque 104 true grape jelly purple - like this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kxQ3eYlBZN...urple.svg_.png - not pinky or greyish or reddish or blue (and preferably no devit!) just pure deep, luscious purple.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2012-11-13, 3:08pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

In addition to everything everyone else has said I would like a decent range of skin tones.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-11-13, 3:26pm

First of all, I'd want to know how they got in the house past the dogs and into my bedroom. lol
Then I'd want this-

Peach/cantaloupe in 104. An absolutely luscious opaque deep peachy melon that doesn't come from an odd lot coral, doesn't streak, white or gray out, and can retain it's opacity in murrini, twists and florals. And a corresponding transparent that's not wimpy. I'd call it Tropical Dream.

Old 2012-11-13, 3:40pm

I have to go with the Raspberry, the true grape jelly opaque purple and a of course I would have to ask for the key lime again just because I love it so much!

Old 2012-11-13, 3:54pm
Steph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
First of all, I'd want to know how they got in the house past the dogs and into my bedroom. lol
Then I'd want this-

Peach/cantaloupe in 104. An absolutely luscious opaque deep peachy melon that doesn't come from an odd lot coral, doesn't streak, white or gray out, and can retain it's opacity in murrini, twists and florals. And a corresponding transparent that's not wimpy. I'd call it Tropical Dream.

OOh yes, absolutely want this too - it would go lovely with my mint green!

My Etsy Shop and Inner Depth Tutorial:

Come like me at:
Old 2012-11-13, 4:59pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Then I'd want this-

Yes this, I've asked CIM for this in opaque and transparent, close with the last colors but not quite there, and denim blue...which became Glacier, but I want a darker denim blue.
(which btw for those that do not know you can request colors http://creationismessy.com/request-a-new-color.aspx)

I agree with all of the above posts!
Old 2012-11-13, 4:59pm
sunscreen me baby

Yes on the RaspBerryBerryWonderful, and the Tropical Dream.

I want a true navy blue pastel and I want a magenta purple.

~

Old 2012-11-13, 5:08pm
I speak Murrini!

I vote 100% with the deep, lucious, non-mis-behaving Raspberry Pink! I have literally dreamed of this color since starting lampwork in 2006!!!

Me, though, I'd name it something like "Razzmatazz" Probably because I'd be doing the razzmatazz-happy-dance!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2012-11-13, 5:18pm

Candy apple red goldstone. This doesn't seem too far fetched to me.
Old 2012-11-13, 8:15pm
Senior Moment

A striking silver that likes to be worked on a hothead. In other words doesn't need to get super hot to strike, AND doesn't over-reduce easily.

What would I call it? Fantasy LOL

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2012-11-13, 8:44pm
Formerly "HillyBeads"

I want this color, with this luster too--Magenta Dreams.

And this color in both transparent and opaque--Hot Violet

And Sunset Coral in 104.

Old 2012-11-13, 8:52pm

I'm all for the non-striking transparent raspberry, transparent dark grey-brown, and candy apple goldstone red.

I'd like to add a mixed silver glass that selectively reduces in two different ways in various places, with the same treatment. Kind of like Effetre earth or kiwi, but in reducing glass. I think that could be VERY interesting... Maybe a silver sheen in some spots, and motley blue-purple in others... Let's call it Disco Reflections.

A moonstone or semi-transparent light yellow that STAYS light yellow. Lemonade.

A colour like CIM Cirrus with a bit more cloudiness...that spreads on the surface like mad. Maybe "Stratus."

And more sparkle colours!

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-11-13, 8:55pm

Plus more purple opaques, green opaques, and vibrant blue opaques that don't create lines around themselves when you add more glass.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-11-13, 9:07pm

Hmm.. I think the post at the top said ONE......

Facebook:

Old 2012-11-14, 8:37am
Dix Harrison

Melissa:

I think some lampwork artists get carried away in the fantasy and can't quit!

I'm laughing.
Old 2012-11-14, 8:49am

And while we're getting carried merrily away, I want a full rainbow of goldstone colors and a well-behaved nonstriking transparent pink the same color as a good white zinfandel wine. And a selection of opaque true purples.
Old 2012-11-14, 9:14am
aka Spawn Of Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Dark Ivory in 90 and 96 COE
Oh please, please, this!!! One that makes super delicious Silvered Ivory Stringer.

I would call it Cracklin' Ivory.

I wanted to say Cracklin' Rose Ivory, but that's kind of self centered and, well, makes it sound pink.

--
--
--