Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2015-08-20, 1:38pm

Default Oxycon + Tanked linked together.

Hi everyone,

I almost certain of the answer I'm going to get from you, but does anyone here work with an oxycon+tanked oxygen setup only linked in together by a "T" or "Y" pipe connector?. I've read lots of threads and all of them advise that it is not recommended due to the pressure that the tank generates, it could create a flashback into the oxycon with the oxygen that's coming out of it , right?. But what if both are setup at the same pressure (psi), for example, I got an M20 from unlimited oxygen (that still works perfectly, thanks jack!), that is supposed to run at 10 liters per minute/20 psi, and this week I got a normal oxygen tank that I plan to set at the same pressure (or maybe less) with the regulator and I plan to use the connector that's in the photo attached.
I want to hear about your thoughts/suggestions/advise, etc.
Attached Images

Old 2015-08-20, 1:56pm
I fart diamonds

Why would you have them hooked together? Generally, it's oxycon on the center flame & tanked on the outer. Hooking them together kinda defeats the purpose.

Are you positive that the oxycon is actually pushing 20psi? If you put a check valve on the line from the oxycon and set the tank at 20psi, you shouldn't have any issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-08-20, 3:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Why would you have them hooked together? Generally, it's oxycon on the center flame & tanked on the outer. Hooking them together kinda defeats the purpose.

Are you positive that the oxycon is actually pushing 20psi? If you put a check valve on the line from the oxycon and set the tank at 20psi, you shouldn't have any issues.
To increase the amount of oxygen that feeds my torch. I have a GTT Cheetah, and the oxycon by itself is not enough, I get a good flame but not the one I would want. This torch is triple mix but it does not have inner or outer jets, all 13 jets work together as a whole.

Not positive at a 100% but those are the specs for that oxycon, I would have to find out where to buy a check valve to prevent flashback.

Last edited by Afro1621; 2015-08-20 at 3:12pm.
Old 2015-08-20, 4:50pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro1621 View Post
To increase the amount of oxygen that feeds my torch. I have a GTT Cheetah, and the oxycon by itself is not enough, I get a good flame but not the one I would want. This torch is triple mix but it does not have inner or outer jets, all 13 jets work together as a whole.

Not positive at a 100% but those are the specs for that oxycon, I would have to find out where to buy a check valve to prevent flashback.
The check valve doesn't prevent flashback; it prevents backflow. Flashback arresters prevent flashback.

I am familiar with the Cheetah (had one). It isn't very efficient. I'm still not sure that running the oxycon with a tank will be of any benefit, unless you crank the tank pressure down. Seems to me that you're just using up electricity. You could add a 2nd concentrator, or a holding tank... (I used a holding tank & 2 oxycons with mine.)

Anyway, let us know if it works!

Old 2015-08-21, 7:37pm

I don't think I'd hook it up at the full 20psi. Not sure I'd do it at all, but if I did, I'd experiment with lower pressures first.
Old 2015-08-21, 9:59pm

Its just a bad idea. Kind of pointless. Run one or the other.

If you need more heat and power then run tanked alone.

I ran my cheetah on an 8lpm 15psi oxycon and it did real nice, I could make an 1-1/2" boro marble no trouble.

This is what you use to run an oxycon and a tank. My new baby..
Attached Images

Old 2015-08-22, 11:43am

Stop using the oxycon and just run off the tank. As shawnette said I think your wasting the electric to run the oxycon. I dont think its contribution would add any value at all.
Old 2015-08-23, 3:12pm

The main reason why I wanted to hook them up together was to add more oxygen flow to the torch, it may not be a good idea to set them up at the same psi as you said, however I already tried running them together and they work just as I expected, the oxycon set at 10lpm and the tank at 5-8lpm; it does get the boost I need to get a decent flame plus I save the oxy in the tank, wich is other reason why I wanted to do this setup.
Old 2015-08-23, 6:45pm
balanced but asymmetrical

So, it's the oxygen purity that you are boosting; rather than the flow rate.
Do you have a way to gauge how much tanked O2 you save this way?
Glad it is working for you.

Old 2015-08-25, 8:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro1621 View Post
The main reason why I wanted to hook them up together was to add more oxygen flow to the torch, it may not be a good idea to set them up at the same psi as you said, however I already tried running them together and they work just as I expected, the oxycon set at 10lpm and the tank at 5-8lpm; it does get the boost I need to get a decent flame plus I save the oxy in the tank, wich is other reason why I wanted to do this setup.
Only time will tell. I suspect it is now primarily running off the tanked and the oxycon is not adding much if any value. I am not even sure, short of using a Power monitor, how to determine if this is buying you anything. Was the tank full when you started? If so, please let us know how long it lasts.
Old 2015-08-25, 6:48pm

I'm tracking the amount of hours I've spent behind the torch. I'll let you know the results. But I guess we need something to compare it against. Does any of you works with 5-8 psi while running a tank?