No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-08-21, 11:19am
needs to light the torch.

Default Lynx ~ Tips, Tricks & Info.

I just hooked up my Lynx yesterday.
I am used to working on a Minor.
I already feel like giving up and switching back to my Minor...
But I am not going to give up!

I would love to get any Tips, Tricks & Info. from experienced Lynx owners who have made the transition from a Minor to a Lynx.

I have already read through this thread “Who works with a Lynx?”: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...highlight=lynx

I would really appreciate it! TIA!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-08-21, 12:13pm
boro color bender

Give it a few days... learn how to adjust the flame... it's absolutely light years away from a minor. It's like going from a Yugo to a Mercedes... it will take some getting used to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-08-21, 12:37pm
Boldly going

I made that exact same switch about two months ago. If I remember correctly, you are running two oxycons with yours. I've been on only one oxycon putting out about 4 LPM of oxygen and propane with my Minor and Lynx.

Until recently I've been running it with the blue valve and the green valve full open. I thought this would provide the best possible oxygen flow with the least amount of flow restriction. I then adjusted the flame size using the red-propane valve. I read on another forum (www.thegldg.com) that the blue valve, in addition to providing pinpoint control, also increases the flame velocity greatly. I played with it a little and watched the flame and believe this to be true. So, the last couple days I have kept the blue valve closed to see how that works. I now generally keep the blue valve almost closed or full closed except when I want a pinpoint flame.

When working soft glass I find that the Lynx is a little bit of overkill, especially with the blue valve open. There's too much heat and flame velocity is too high - that soft glass will boil in no time. I've learned to work further out in the flame and turn down the propane. Recognize that the Lynx is a taller torch than the Minor also. This difference will also "throw you off" and take a while to get used to.

If you worked with a Hot Head before you had a Minor then you know the transition will take a while. It will just take time and practice. Soft glass is very sensitive and you are now armed with a lot of heat. It's just a matter of controlling it.

There are some links to Lynx info on the www.thegldg.com forum that I will add to this thread as soon as that forum is back in service. It's down at the moment (temporary, I hope).

I hope this helps, I feel like it's an incoherent mess of semi-random thoughts.

Best of luck to you. Your patience will pay off and you will love your Lynx.

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

|
|
|
Old 2005-08-21, 12:51pm
Dildo Kween!

Congratulations on the purchase of your Lynxie!

You'll notice the the GTT torches burn cleaner. You'll really see this in encasement.

If you need a supa-fine flame - use the blue knob with the green knob turned off or just barely on.

Don't even THINK of going back to the minor. Just play around with it and you'll be fine. It will truely open up a new vein of creativity.

Heidi

My Tutorials have been FREE since 2001

Old 2005-08-21, 1:50pm
needs to light the torch.

Thanks you guys!!!!

Anakin great memory, I do have two concentrators

I wish I had enough room to set up both my torches... someday...

Maybe I should bust out my Boro self-paced project kit???
Oh wait, I need to wait for my boro clip-ons to get here... damn! LOL

Old 2005-08-21, 6:49pm
<--- Time traveler

I keep the blue valve at least a little bit open all the time. With two oxy concentrators, I find that I pretty much never need to open the green all the way when using soft glass. I have found that a propane pressure of 5 works best for me with the two concentrators.

Courtney