Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2009-03-08, 5:22pm

Thanks so much ya'll!!

Penny, your beads are beautiful!

Carolyn, thank you for helping too, btw. I apologize for not visiting this thread more today. I have been strapped to my computer for a month so I took a bit of a breather so that I could wash the dogs and tackle the dust bunnies. They were all beginning to get a bit rowdy. lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-03-08, 5:33pm
Gay rights R human rights

Lydia,
Were you going to do a tutorial of the rose murrini?

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2009-03-08, 5:53pm

Leslie, as much as I'd like to, I'm still struggling too much with the murrini making process... It's a real PITA. Hopefully I'll eventually get it refined enough to be able to pass it on in a way that makes sense. Seems like my murrini cane never turns out the same, even if I use the exact same process.

Old 2009-03-08, 6:11pm
Lover of all things color

And, of course, I had to have it. Those roses are so beautiful.

thanks Lydia, for sharing with us.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-03-08, 6:32pm

That looks pretty! Thanks for sharing your technique!!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-03-08, 7:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Wow, gorgeous! Can I pick your brain a bit? How long have you been lampworking? And what kind of step up (torch, oxy, oxycon) do you have? Just wondering how different equipment may impact the success level of this bead...

Thanks for sharing! It looks fabulous!

De
Thank you De Debbie and Lydia! I have been working with glass for a bit over four years. I started on a hothead, then moved to a Carlisle cc and now use a Crickett with one oxyconcentrator. You can read a lot about my progress with florals on my blog. My beads are inspired by Kristen Frantzen Orr when I make raised cane florals, by Kim Miles' beautiful encased roses, Lisa F and Cynthia's floral beads,and of course, Lydia is my mega-mentor!

I use Bullseye and Reichenbach glass for the rose beads, because of the wonderful pinks and violets available, and because the 90 and 96 COE glass is nicely stiff and doesn't smear when it is encased. And of course, the clears are amazing. The first two beads are with Reichenbach and the third one, with the plunged lily of the valley flowers, is Bullseye.

I had been inspired by two painters to try a different approach to flowers with the rose buds, which is a good beginning to Lydia's painting style. All the roses in the three beads are encased, and with a fair amount of clear between the layers of petals.

Lydia has shared so much information through her tutorials and her blog. There is also a lot to be learned by experimentation, and by serious looking, using what we already know to move to the next step. And LE is a wealth of information. This is a very exciting medium to work in. I am flattered by your questions and compliments beyond measure, and now I don't feel so bad that I just don't really get organic beyond the basics. I guess my heart is in the flowers...yes, I am one of "those" people.... xiola

Old 2009-03-08, 9:33pm

Fabulous tutorial.

I LOVE that you share WHY you did certian things a certian way. It helps me to understand so much more than how you made that bead.

This tut is worth way more than $22.00.

Thank you!
Old 2009-03-09, 12:16am

Love this bead, I had no idea you made a tutorial, where have I been?

Going to buy it in the morning. The bead is fabulous!

Old 2009-03-09, 8:04am

Ya'll are more than welcome and thank you!!

Old 2009-03-09, 11:17am
what's a senior moment ?

QUOTE:"I use Bullseye and Reichenbach glass for the rose beads, because of the wonderful pinks and violets available, and because the 90 and 96 COE glass is nicely stiff and doesn't smear when it is encased. And of course, the clears are amazing."

Hmmmm, makes me think I should try these two coe's with encased flowers since smearing is a BIG problem for me. Only ever used 104 previously..........hmmmmmm

Your beads turned out lovely Xiola ! Great job !

Old 2009-03-09, 2:56pm

I just made two painted rose beads with 104 glass. You don't have to worry about smearing or encasing on this bead, so do try it as described! Thank you for the compliments on my beads...they were made before this tutorial and are encased, so the techniques were different.

My only suggestion is that when Lydia talks about putting clear completely over the petals, be sure they are totally covered or the petal edges will creep up and bite you later, just like they do in encased beads! They get ragged and rise to the surface in a way you will not like.

The other problem I have, as usual, is that the flowers come out way too big for the size of the bead. There are actually ten layers of glass in the roses, and each layer increases the overall size of the rose as it pushes out the edges..you will see what I mean. So, TINY dots...believe me, you won't be sorry. I hardly had room for leaves. I didn't make the bead bases as large as Lydia said to, but the roses are huge no matter how big your bead! Have fun.
I will also try with Reichenbach or Bullseye, just to get different color schemes. I want to make a rosey yellow set too, and Caliente makes a beautiful peach glass that I like to use in my roses. xiola

Old 2009-03-09, 4:43pm
Burning Fingers!

Thanks you Lydia, I am having so much fun with this tutorial. I got off to a rocky start yesterday by not paying attention, and adding way too many leaves so that they covered the buds. However for a first try it wasn't too bad. The second one, I just did a "sampling" of the elements on a smaller bead, and that looks so much better, and is a great way to start off - which I should have done in the first place! Today I took the various elements and made up a composition and applied that to some pressed beads - can't wait to see how they come out of the kiln. Pics soon.

/
/
/

Old 2009-03-09, 5:00pm

Jane, I bet you did a beautiful job. . .I can't wait to see them!
Boy are you right. This bead wants every ounce of your attention and if you let your mind wander for a sec, your entire bead will be filled with big buds and roses. Once you get used to it though, you'll be able to judge how much each element will expand.

Old 2009-03-09, 6:06pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P View Post
Thanks you Lydia, I am having so much fun with this tutorial. I got off to a rocky start yesterday by not paying attention, and adding way too many leaves so that they covered the buds. However for a first try it wasn't too bad. The second one, I just did a "sampling" of the elements on a smaller bead, and that looks so much better, and is a great way to start off - which I should have done in the first place! Today I took the various elements and made up a composition and applied that to some pressed beads - can't wait to see how they come out of the kiln. Pics soon.
HURRY!!! Can hardly wait...

This is such an amazing tut!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-03-09, 6:37pm

De, thank you!

Old 2009-03-10, 5:10am

Over the past couple of days I've have questions about whether this tutorial will work for Reichenbach, Gaffer and Bullseye. Gaffer and Bullseye, I'm not so sure about as I've had little exposure to these glasses. However, I do have a nice sample order coming in from Gaffer and plan to do some testing over the next week.

Reichenbach. . .As much as I love this glass, it does not work well for this application. Their rubinos are so concentrated that they leave pitting on the surface of the glass. Reichenbach's opals are lovely, but they are too translucent and some of them also cause pitting issues. The only way to conceal the pits on the surface is to encase the entire bead with Gaffer clear. (Reichenbach crystal is worse than Moretti clear, even on it's best day.)

Old 2009-03-10, 6:40am

Lydia, I have been meaning to post and tell you how incredibly beautiful that bead is. I used to paint flowers (my specialty - china painting) and what you have done with this bead is fantastic. Great work, and I know I will be ordering this tutorial very soon just to see how you did it! Fantastic bead!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-03-10, 6:56am

Just bought mine! OMG this isn't just a bead tutorial, it's a complete art lesson!!! wish someone would come clean my house so I could go try it!! lol

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2009-03-10, 7:20am
Biscuit Lover

[quote=Ashtonjewels;2409068]

Lydia, I just bought this tutorial-and the encased floral panel tutorial. I don't usually do florals, so this will be challenging. Your painted roses are so appealing, and well, painterly! They also remind me of sweet cotton print dresses my mother wore when I was little.
Old 2009-03-10, 9:00am

Pam, thank you! I have always wanted to learn to paint china. There's a place nearby that teaches it and I've actually been thinking about taking a class. By the way, my grandmother also painted china. Her pieces were so lovely and even though she's gone, the memories of them inspire me. I wish I had understood her talent when I was kid. Unfortunately, we were never close in life, but I feel that she's directly responsible for my taste in art. If you have grandkids, I sure hope they realize how special you are.

LOL! Debbie, if you find someone to do that for you, please send them here when they are done.

Kathleen, thank you too! Awwwww. . .I remember those sweet cotton dresses. My grandmothers both wore them. Those vintage prints were always so lovely. "Sweet" is definitely the best descriptive word for them.

Old 2009-03-10, 9:42am

Your tutorials are just the best, thanks so much Lydia for taking the time to do them and this one is wonderful.
Old 2009-03-10, 9:47am
da General

I was gifted this tutorial by a dear friend - it's amazing! Packed with so much valuable information in addition to the step-by-step tutorial! Thank you, Lydia, AGAIN for a fantastic piece!!!

Now I have ALL your tutes!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-03-10, 5:17pm

Thank you, Hayley! You too, Carmen!

Btw, Hayley, have a safe trip and a happy birfday!

Old 2009-03-10, 5:18pm
da General

Thank you, Lydia!!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-03-10, 5:51pm
Burning Fingers!

These pictures aren't the greatest, as I just snapped them lying on a blanket. I also think I will try etching one of the beads to see how I like it.
This first set of three is BLT (before Lydia's tutorial). As you can see - the middle bead looks like the eye of a pink tornado. I also need to work on my shaping - but that is another story.

These two are ALT (after Lydia's tutorial), and I was trying to get all the elements into one bead - mistake to start out that way. The bead to the right has less design elements in it, as I decided to scale back until I got used to the process. I also had trouble with the colour and shape of the leaves.

These next three beads are pressed and then decorated with just a sampling of the various elements, and I changed the colour of the leaves and the way that I did them. I prefer the background colour of the bottom two, and I'm not sure if I like the "pyjama blue" background of the top one. It is one of these that I think I will etch to see how it looks. It will take a while to get things where I want them, but it is a great tutorial, and I am sure having fun with these beads - Thanks Lydia!

/
/
/

Old 2009-03-10, 6:03pm
I speak Murrini!

Jane, I think all of them are gorgeous!!! You seem to have an affinity with these...I definitely see a progression! I think the roses in all of them (before and after L's tut, that is) - even with what you call a "tornado" - shows your skill!!!

You've definitely got the leaf thing worked out in the last set...and I'm looking forward to seeing what etching does. I like the Pajama Blue background, IMHO - it gives a more definite contrast to the leaves and I see a tinge of purple in the rose, too!

Thanks for sharing! Will you please show us how the etched one turns out?

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-03-10, 8:35pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

Jane, those are gorgeous!

Jenny

Old 2009-03-11, 6:09am

WOW Jane ALL your beads are gorgeous, before just as pretty as after!!! I love the pink tornado, it's beautiful!!!!!!

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2009-03-11, 6:09am

WOW Jane! All of the beads are beautiful! I especially love the background colors that you used in the last two beads. Gorgeous work!!!

Old 2009-03-11, 4:23pm
I'm not Barbie.

just ordered one Lydia! Thanks for pouring your heart into this one! And for sharing!