Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-02-28, 9:17am
lov'in life!!!

Here are my pics. In one of them, the candle is slightly longer than in the other pic and has a tad bit more yellow on the inside candle. I hope you can see them okay. A flame is NOT the easiet thing in the world to photograph!

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-02-28, 9:29am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameDancer
Here are my pics. In one of them, the candle is slightly longer than in the other pic and has a tad bit more yellow on the inside candle. I hope you can see them okay. A flame is NOT the easiet thing in the world to photograph!

That's what mine looks like.

Old 2006-02-28, 9:35am
Back from the Dark Side

Mine is similar to Krissa's flame, but not quite as clean. Lengthwise it's good. I get the occasional "tinking" too.

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2006-02-28, 9:38am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreamDesigns
Um, after I open it up, it is hard to get it to adjust to one setting and stay there. I've set it at what looks like four, get fluctuations at the torch go back out and it's around 2. or set it at 2-3 and it goes to 6. So far i can't find a pattern (warming up, too cold out, etc.). I had a lot of problems seating the gauge in the beginning to the tank and getting fuel flowing so it may be my connection? I need to try another one.

Sorry to hijack

Martha
Martha, it sounds like your regulator has a mind of its own! I think the problem is with the regulator itself and not your connection.
Old 2006-02-28, 10:05am

Krissa On the length of the center candle. The picture looks a lot more normal then I was pictureing it in my mind.
I was pictureing a big allmost all yellow flame. Shooting from the center while the others around it where all blue.
Old 2006-02-28, 10:26am
lov'in life!!!

Hmmm, maybe you are referring to Kristy? She's the one with the original post. I think her center candle IS totally yellow and much longer than it should be. Mine is running fine...now if I can only figure out if the Cuda part is okay, we'll be doing just fine, lol.

Old 2006-02-28, 10:35am
Safety ALWAYS

What binkster said...that flame is not right.

On the "tinking" sound...all of my beth's tink when they are cooling down and occasionally in the early stages of running during the heat up period. This is normal expansion and contraction of the different metals used in the torch body and jets. Nothing to worry about UNLESS it is a very LOUD POINK and you hear a tinkling sound like something just broke and fell on the table top.

But that flame is just plain bad...generally speaking, in my opinion, of all the torches I've ever seen running, the center cone is usually only about 1/3 to 1/2 taller than the surrounding cones. Yours is at least twice and this is not good. I'd strongly recommend you send that picture to Bethlehem to show them what you mean. I think they will agree it's bad and exchange the torch for you.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-02-28, 10:48am

Darn I was hoping you guys would say, "Yep, mine started out like that, but I learned how to dial it down/play with settings."

Kbinkster: I'm positive I haven't gotten any glass in it (since so new and paying close attention). The barrel looks purple because of the photo, it's silver when running (hmmm, although I'd like a purple barrel...).

Mike and Kbinkster: I did a check for pre-mixing and did NOT get a loud bang (occurring in the burner), and the "tink" sound was explained to me as the metal expanding like you noted Mike.

I'm going to email this photo to Jerry at Bethlehem since it is a yellow flame in the middle and longer than yours.

Thanks all!
Kristy
Old 2006-02-28, 10:55am

Kristy,

I'd be interested in hearing what Bethlehem tells you on that....mine isn't as long as yours in the middle, but I do think it's longer than the others...hmmmm.....
Old 2006-02-28, 1:18pm
PyronamixK

Krissa, how did you get such a good picture of that flame?
Old 2006-02-28, 1:56pm
Floral Obsessed

Hi - A slightly longer centre candle is really normal on my torch, though I've never noticed a yellow tinge on mine - I have a 10psi concentrator, though, which might make a slight difference. If it's working for your glass, I wouldn't worry too much, but if you have more technical questions, contact Jerry or Marcie at Bethlehem. They'll be able to set you right. I certainly wouldn't send anything back until I got their advice! They were great with me when I was trying to decide what torch to get and asking a LOT of technical questions. I've been very happy with my Piranha for natural gas and an O2con! Good luck - Heather
Old 2006-02-28, 2:07pm
lov'in life!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster
Krissa, how did you get such a good picture of that flame?
LOL Kimberly, well...I got a little closer than I meant to. I was looking through the camera and when I saw where I was, I quickly snapped and got out of there. I also put something dark behind the flame. That always helps

Old 2006-02-28, 4:15pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

O.K. ladies (and guys) I guess you have convinced me that Piranha is the way to go. Would you recommend buying from the company, or will any supplier do? It seems that both ABR and Generations Glass have a sale on them.
Thanks for all of your input. Isn't it fun helping someone ELSE spend money?????

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2006-02-28, 7:27pm
PyronamixK

Mike at AuraLens may sell them. I would recommend him. Afterall, he helped out on this thread.
Old 2006-02-28, 8:10pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

I didn't know Mike sold torches------guess I'd better look at his site for more than glasses.
Sorry Mike, and you are closer to Hudson than anyone else....

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2006-03-01, 6:29am

Hi Kristy,
I wish that I had seen those pics when we spoke. That is not normal for a Piranha.

When we spoke I thought that you meant just a tinge of yellow on the tip of the candle.

If you don't hear back from by Fri., give me a call and we will get it worked out.

Sorry I don't get to this forum very often, I just don't get the time to get to the computer anymore (other than working).
Old 2006-03-01, 7:10am

Hi Kristian! Hey, you guys have been awesome , so I want to reiterate to all reading this thread, that no one (Generations Glass or Bethlehem) has blown me off on this, and I'm just trying to figure out the normal flame tip for this torch. BTW, I love the small cone you can get with this torch.

I'm waiting to hear back from Jerry from Bethlehem, but I think I'll call him this morning and share your comment about the flame not being right after your seeing the picture. I just emailed it yesterday to him, so he might not have had a chance to open it yet.

Thanks! Kristy
Old 2006-03-01, 2:52pm

Update, Several of you emailed me wanting to know what happened with Bethlehem since you're interested in the Piranha. I express mailed my torch out to Bethlehem today for tomorrow arrival at Beth. delivery (can you tell I'm in production and in a hurry?!). Jerry noted he'd check it out and send back asap fixed or replaced...or perhaps nothing if it works out there. At this point, I hope that something is wrong since seeing Krissa's flame....that's what I thought it should look like, and I love how the torch works, except the reducing part right now. --Kristy
Old 2006-03-02, 8:56am
Floral Obsessed

I was looking at my flame again after reading this, and when I have it set to neutral the flame look's like Krissa's. However, when I turn up the NG to reduce (or as I turn down the O2 to shut down) the middle candle does get much longer than the rest, and yellower too, like a finger. So it seems like you're getting too much gas/not enough O2, which could be a torch problem or could be a tank/concentatrator problem. I'm sure Jerry will help you sort it out! Please let us know how it goes. Cheers - Heather
Old 2006-03-02, 8:50pm

Heather, good news. Jerry at Beth. called this afternoon, said they ran it, took it apart, and it didn't look right, so they replaced it with some new head they have. Should be here tomorrow.

THAT WAS FAST! I'm impressed and grateful with anyone who walks the walk with customer service, especially these days when manners and just common courtesy are an anomaly. Bethlehem got all "A"s from me.

Can't wait to fire her up tomorrow afternoon!
Kristy
Old 2006-03-03, 8:57am
boro color bender

Beth's customer service has been above the board in every situation I've ever heard of... glad to see that's holding true for you too! I am becoming more and more a Bethlehem believer! I can't wait to get my Cuda and run it full time in my studio!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley