Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2012-01-05, 9:39am
Born Facing Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightforge View Post
Thank you very much for this tut.. I now think I understand implosions, I just could not wrap my mind around how it worked.. Now I think I could try do it with some confidence.. And that is all thanks to you and this tut.. I'm so happy I got it.. Now I want your other tuts too.. lol..
I'm so glad that you enjoyed the tutorial Houkje!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-01-09, 11:19am
Lover of all things color

Happy New Year to me....just found this, wonder where it was hiding.

Checking email for my tut....can't wait....want it nooowwwwww...

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-01-09, 11:54am
Born Facing Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
Happy New Year to me....just found this, wonder where it was hiding.

Checking email for my tut....can't wait....want it nooowwwwww...
Just sent, Jan, enjoy!!

Old 2012-01-09, 12:50pm

Tnx sweetie, you are the master....

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-01-09, 9:00pm

Sherry - I have been trying this technique out and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! What a blast! Will show pics as soon as I get a decent one to show!

LynieG
Old 2012-01-10, 8:39am
Born Facing Left

Thanks Jan!!

Lynie, I'm so glad that you like the tutorial! Pictures would be awesome!

Old 2012-01-11, 12:26pm

Well...here she is. Not perfect but I know what I did wrong...and I was at the bottom of a bottle of gas and it was a bit dirty. Kind of like the layer of dirty, looks like I put it there...LOL

Now if it would just warm up so I can go back down and correct my mistakes.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-01-11, 12:30pm

Sherry there was no exploding, but my implosion was way too big one time and way too small the next. Re-grouping and will try again. My mojo is on hiatus so I am in a difficult place right now .

Old 2012-01-11, 12:53pm
Born Facing Left

That's awesome Jan! The bead has a sort of 'antiqued' look, doesn't it? The implosions look really good!

Harriet, with your skills you'll be imploding with aplomb in no time! Mojo on hiatus is where I am right now too; I have a rather large back-up of custom work to do and all I want to do is curl up on the couch with a book, a quilt, and my dog.

Old 2012-01-12, 1:14am
beads....mmmm

Sherry, you did a fabulous job on this tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing your skills.

You rock.

::
Old 2012-01-12, 1:19am

Yay! I forgot to check back here before now, so I'm just finding out that this tutorial is ready.

You can believe that I got over to Etsy as fast as possible and ordered one! Thanks so much for sharing your amazing talent in this way Sherry!

Old 2012-01-12, 4:01am

Brilliant tutorial! Now I have another addiction!
Old 2012-01-12, 11:01am

Awesome Tutorial! Love it very much. Thanks Sherry! I have something fun to play with today!

Old 2012-01-12, 12:17pm
Born Facing Left

Deborah....Emvee....Dawn, thank so much for the kind words! Have fun, and let's see those beadies!!

Old 2012-01-28, 10:52am
Storm Queen

Jan that's a great start! I wanna see more...

Old 2012-01-28, 11:23am

This is #3, number two was much like the first one, I decided to use my larger lentil press and it seems to show the implosion and allow for more clear glass.

Now if I could just figure out what it giving it the yellow color. I'm wondering if that is fuming from the silvered ivory around the center??? Any thoughts?

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-01-28, 11:26am
Storm Queen

Yeah, it's looks like it's reacting with the silver. What clear did you use?

Old 2012-01-28, 11:32am

I prefer to use Super Clear. Is there one that won't do that?

Just had a thought, wonder if I could use a q-tip and put some etch on the surface to clean the fuming off??? Might try it...

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Last edited by simvet02; 2012-01-28 at 12:05pm. Reason: addl info
Old 2012-01-28, 6:54pm
Born Facing Left

The bead is great Jan, excellent implosion, but the yellow color; that's a puzzler. I pretty much always use silvered ivory around the window, and tend to really cook the snot out of it...often enough to get it to web and striate like crazy, then I generally reduce the hell out of it to boot.

I've never had yellowing, not at all. Just the occasional fume on the clear that comes off with an oxy-rich flame. I cannot for the life of me figure out what's happening in that bead.

It's not a bad look, but when it's unintended, yeah. You want to know why it's there. I wish that I could see it in person!

Old 2012-01-28, 7:40pm

Well, my only other guess is that it's time to change out my hoses. It's been four or five years....AND I want to change back to my Lynx anyway. Guess I'll try that next, I have the new hose, just have never gotten around to changing.

Although...I did 10 Triton encased rounds and used the super clear and there was not one bit of yellowing so...hmmm....a mystery to me also.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-02-09, 5:34pm
Born Facing Left

Any progress Jan? Did you try the Lynx?

Old 2012-02-09, 5:49pm

Okay here's my 3rd try. At least I am beginning to understand the process, although I think it would be easier to do if I had just one more hand Now comes the PPPPP part.
Attached Images

Old 2012-02-09, 6:01pm

I haven't had a chance Sherry, the weather turned cold and then I decided to buy a new propane regulator to go with all the other new stuff. It just came two days ago and then my hubby had a small stroke so I have been dealing with that.
Hopefully he will get to come home tomorrow and then I can think about it again.
Thanks for asking though,

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-02-10, 8:49am
Born Facing Left

That is so very cool, Harriet! Like underwater crocuses!

Jan, just some hugs for you and your hubby....how scary.

Old 2012-03-22, 8:17am

I just got the tut and was wondering where to get some good tungsten picks. I have 2 but they tend to stick to the glass in another tut I was doing. I even have a handle with the screw thingy on it for just the points. Thanks a bunch.
Old 2012-03-24, 9:44am
Born Facing Left

Hi Pat, I think most stores that sell tools for lampworkers will sell tungsten picks. I've bought them over the years...but I still use my little short gnarly pick with no handle; it's my favorite one for some reason.

As for sticking to the glass, yep, it seems to be a fairly common problem. I have the glass fairly hot, but not drippingly molten, and I just plunge fast and then get out. I don't really have issues with tungsten sticking and I think it's because I'm super-fast with my plunges.

I've been told that it's not good to quench tungsten, but I've been known to quench from time to time, while feeling guilty about doing so. My pick still survives, lol.

Old 2014-02-18, 7:13am

I love this tutorial I bought it when it first came out. Had a blast making pods. Thought I would revisit it now that I have a working torch room in my new house. Just as much fun as the first time around.