Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2005-08-11, 10:17am

Default Nicole’s Copper Cutout Tutorial

Nicole’s Copper Cutout Tutorial

I started making beads with copper in them after seeing the technique in Cindy Jenkins’s ‘Making Glass Beads’. The copper turns such a nice shade of red when encased with clear glass. It’s just begs for creative play! When I was at Pilchuck I bought some sheets of copper foil. They had it in huge rolls, I was in heaven. Then I stumbled across some very cool paper punches at Paper-Ya in Vancouver. Bingo!! The two were meant to be together!

Special Tools & Materials Needed

· Copper Foil
· Craft Punches (small or mini size)
· Hot Plate to preheat the copper cut out
· Marver
· Tweezers

1. Prepare you cutouts by punching out shapes from the copper foil.

2. Preheat these cutouts on your hotplate. They will turn black in the heat. Don’t worry it will turn back to red after it cools.

3. Make a basic bead; get the spot where you want to place the cutout very hot. It should have a bright red glow.

4. Pick up the cutout with the tweezes and gently brush it in the flame and immediately press it onto the bead. Marver down the cutout as fast as possible. Heat and speed are both necessary to get the copper to stick.

5. Encase your bead with transparent glass. Different colours will give the copper a different shade.

Tips:

Take care not to overheat the copper in the flame as you can easily melt off the details. Store bought punches can get a bit repetitive. Try drawing your own designs on to the foil and cutting out unique shapes. A bit of repousse can add dimension and depth to your designs. Or use leather or jewelry embossing tools. So much can be done with this technique. Play and have fun!

PS

You can buy copper foil where ever fusing supplies are sold.
Attached Images

Old 2005-08-11, 10:24am

cool. thank you very much.
Old 2005-08-11, 10:30pm

Nicole, look at that swarm of butterflies. SO pretty. Thanks for sharing.

Lara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2005-08-12, 5:22am

Ooooh Nicole. This is wonderful! As I mentioned to you, I saw these magnificent beads online several weeks ago and wondered how they were made. You're so kind to give us a tutorial. THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

This is definitely a 5-star thread!

I hope you like the little extra I sent you.
Old 2005-08-12, 6:15pm

Gee folks, you say the nicest things. I hope you will be tying out the copper and posting some of your own creations. Love to see what you can make!

I have a Square Tabular Bead tutorial too. I’ll try and find some time to put that up next week. No presses involved, just a pair of mashers.
Old 2007-06-21, 1:31pm

What/which foil did you use?
ive tried this tut with craft punches, but my foil is far to thin its like punching out tissue paper!?

WEBSITE--

BLOG--

Angie x
Old 2007-06-21, 1:48pm
Looking for my waistline

Sandwich your thin foil between two sheets of paper, then punch them. That should eliminate the tearing.
Old 2007-06-21, 3:21pm

Oh cool will try it

WEBSITE--

BLOG--

Angie x
Old 2007-06-21, 4:04pm

The tip worked chuckie

for the toot all i get is a grey colour on a base of black, and green on a base of white ;(
mines nothing like the toot pic, what am i doing wrong?

BTW i cant heat the copper on a hotplate i dont have one, is it nessecary to warm it first?

WEBSITE--

BLOG--

Angie x
Old 2007-06-24, 4:37pm

*BUMP*

WEBSITE--

BLOG--

Angie x
Old 2007-06-24, 5:32pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

Angie, I think that you need to encase the copper immediately after applying it to the hot bead. If you put the bead with copper into the flame before encasing, it turns dark.

--
--
--

Old 2007-06-24, 7:13pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie View Post
The tip worked chuckie

for the toot all i get is a grey colour on a base of black, and green on a base of white ;(
mines nothing like the toot pic, what am i doing wrong?

BTW i cant heat the copper on a hotplate i dont have one, is it nessecary to warm it first?
Sounds like your copper might be too thin. The real thin stuff that has to be cut in between paper to keep from tearing is most likely too thin to use this way. You need something thicker - it will be more like thick aluminum foil.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-06-30, 12:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Sounds like your copper might be too thin. The real thin stuff that has to be cut in between paper to keep from tearing is most likely too thin to use this way. You need something thicker - it will be more like thick aluminum foil.
any ideas where i can get thicker copper?

WEBSITE--

BLOG--

Angie x
Old 2007-07-08, 9:27pm
as in the state

Angie--

I've found thicker copper foil at Hobby Lobby (big craft store, like Michaels...it's a regional thing though) in their embossing department. I found a roll of it in a plastic tube (about 10" long I'd say) for relatively cheap.

Michael's might have it, too. Check around the scrapbooking/cardmaking areas, and maybe they have an embossing/leather section, too.

-Amy
Old 2008-04-13, 3:55pm

Michael's has rolls of copper and I think it's the same thing. I've used it to punch out shapes for glass fusing. Never thought of putting them into beads! Cool!

Peggy
The Glass Chef
Old 2014-10-18, 7:32am
Lifelong Student

Bump
Old 2021-09-23, 4:38am

I have copper shim, would that be too thick to use.?
Old 2021-09-23, 7:08am

This is so funny. I'm actually going to tape a video of this technique this morning.

YouTube: Lampwork Glass Beads by LePoppet