No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2015-10-07, 11:31am
Salt Box Beads

Default Salt Box Shed

It has been awhile, life got in the way...But finally we are both retired now and the studio is getting finished. Hubby has been installing the tile. He has arthritis in his spine and it is very bad so he goes slowly and works when he can. He enjoys puttering and is happy going slow and easy.

I chose Ardesia blue ceramic tiles and a chocolate grout. I wanted thick grout lines because I like them better that way. It still needs the final wipe down as you can see the thin cocoa colored film still on it, which will be wiped down today and then the rest of the floor will be finished tomorrow.

I am blogging about the studio and other things too, The link is in my sig line below, but you can see more pics and the story of the studio there as we go along.

If you will notice I put all of the electrical outlets up high. That way they will be over the benches and comfortable to reach.

I do have one electrical outlet installed down low for the intake unit for under the bench. The flip switch will be up high for it though. I hope to have the whole thing finished by Christmas but it depends on the weather.

It is very small so it has been a chore to try to fit in what I need. I am excited to see just how well I will be able to pull it all together.

The floor has turned out BETTER than anticipated, I think I will do the kitchen the same way. I absolutely love it. I was tempted to lick the chocolate grout a few times when I was grouting, it looks just like chocolate frosting
Attached Images

Old 2015-10-07, 12:01pm
Loving learning

Congratulations on it coming together, and the floor looks great!
Old 2015-10-07, 4:01pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks Eileen, such a shame to have to cover it up...LOL The little area that would be visible in the front will be covered with a nice rug for my miss Daphne to lay on. gots to have my mascot with me.
Old 2015-10-08, 7:49pm
dances with ideas...

It looks great, and so sweet of your DH to lay that tile for you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-10-08, 9:36pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank you. He's a keeper.
Old 2015-11-01, 7:05am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Yay! So glad this is finally starting to come together! I was building mine when you first started talking about your project, feels like a lifetime ago! Amazing how much more time we have after retirement!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

Old 2015-11-01, 9:31pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks, It does seam ages ago. Retirement has been busy so far with a little adjustment to having DH around ALL of time. A list of honey do's is working great to that end. LOL

I am so glad I have everything I need including many many glass colors we can't even get anymore.

Didn't we get the same color floor tile? Ardesia blue?
Old 2015-11-02, 12:28pm

Smile

Very pretty tile! You will love your studio space when it gets finished. I remember how slow the progress was when we built ours. Congratulations on your retirement
MarieAnn
Old 2015-11-02, 7:02pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks MarieAnn,

We will buy the base boards tomorrow and get them installed this week and bring in some of the furniture and maybe even the shelving for the glass. More pics as we do more.
Old 2015-11-13, 2:22pm
Queen of the milo field

Oh that looks lovely! Nice space.

dj
Old 2015-11-13, 4:14pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks, we are getting ready to install the exhaust system and the replacement air blower this next week. We are still working out the kinks on that. Pics coming soon
Old 2016-02-16, 6:46pm
Salt Box Beads

Default A few more pics...

It has been slow going. Remodeling the kitchen has taken over our lives!! Not complaining. It just is making everything else go on the back burner for awhile.

I did however get the benches in, the glass put away and the tool chest in, with some of my shaping tools neatly put away. Jewelry bench is on the right and the torch bench is to the left. When I get it all set up I will post better pics.
Baby steps....repeat...
Attached Images

Old 2016-02-17, 3:03am
Slogan Challenged...

Thanks for posting pics, love everything you've done! How great to be able to set up your own space the way you want it.

P.S. What are those rods along the wall to the right of your jewelry bench. My first thought was dipped mandrels but they look awfully big so I'm probably wrong

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-02-17, 10:05am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

I think they are dipped mandrels! I've moved studio's numerous times, and I always get impatient and dip my mandrels so that I'm ready to go as soon as my installation tech (my husband) deems the job done and steps out of the area!

Old 2016-02-17, 10:07am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Lorraine, I am also getting a shed to setup a studio in. It'll be 6x6 or 6x8. Just a lil guy. I'm wondering on your exhaust system, what you decided to use for a fan/blower and what CFM you chose.

Old 2016-02-17, 1:24pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
Thanks for posting pics, love everything you've done! How great to be able to set up your own space the way you want it.

P.S. What are those rods along the wall to the right of your jewelry bench. My first thought was dipped mandrels but they look awfully big so I'm probably wrong
They are dipped mandrels, I make some very large hole beads for leather stringing and I have 1/4 and 1/2 in mandrels over there. Proud to say I made those big block of wood holders myself! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrout View Post
I think they are dipped mandrels! I've moved studio's numerous times, and I always get impatient and dip my mandrels so that I'm ready to go as soon as my installation tech (my husband) deems the job done and steps out of the area!
Yep! Some big ol mandrels..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrout View Post
Lorraine, I am also getting a shed to setup a studio in. It'll be 6x6 or 6x8. Just a lil guy. I'm wondering on your exhaust system, what you decided to use for a fan/blower and what CFM you chose.
Oh how exciting for you...Small works out well for heating and cooling and just plain cozy feeling but it does take more design work.

The exhaust system will be vented overhead to the vent in the wall above the tool chest. I will add more pics this evening for you. I am using what I had set up before and you can see that in my horse trailer thread.

This time it will be mounted on a frame outside the studio because it was just noisy! I am bringing in fresh air from the outside to the under side of the back of the torch bench. Before hubby sheet rocked he added a small framed in area in the wall near the floor with electrical switch up high in my reach for an intake fan. It is 3 speed high cfms to match the exhaust fan.

I am also putting the tanked fuels on the outside right where the torch bench wall is and piping it all in with safety valves on the inside and the outside. I will put a small chain link dog kennel around the tanks and over it with shade cloth to try to hide them and have them locked in.

Our BBQ is on the back side of the studio too so that will look natural to see a tank out there. Everyone here is meth lab terrified and rightly so, I don't need a visit from a truck full of swat team members storming the property!!!

So much left to do, but it will be worth it. I will get some pics up tonight.

Old 2016-02-18, 8:58pm
Phill

It looks great!

That is a lot of work you have done.

You might want to invite the local police to come in and have a look at your studio so that they already have a thorough write up of it just in case any of the neighbors, new or other wise, make comments or complaints or some junkie decides to throw everyone he can think of under the bus to try and make a deal to save their own backside.
Old 2016-07-13, 5:34am

Amazing love your set up
Old 2016-07-13, 10:45pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank you, sometimes I wish I was in Florida so I could have all of those wonderful plants growing wild and free on my patio surrounding my studio like orchids, birds of paradise and fuschias oh my!!
Old 2017-05-19, 2:00pm
Salt Box Beads

Default New photos

I know! It's about dang time! But life does get in the way with more pressing matters.

Hubby has installed the exhaust system and the replacement air under the table. It comes up in the center and can be shared by both people or just one.

I had to redesign my set up at the last minute. I decided to go for a large square dining table on the cheap and make the set up for two and because there wasn't enough room for my legs and the intake system under the old workbench which I loved and will miss..... But now there is room for two people and the intake system.

It ain't real pretty folks but it works fantastic! Forgive the sawdust and stuff everywhere. I will post more pics as I get it all cleaned up. Next will be the final stage which is the black pipe for the fuel, safety shut off valves etc. I may paint all of the ceiling ducting white if it really starts bugging me...LOL

We did set it up like an RV. That way the code enforcers can't bother me and I still get my electrical. We used outdoor contractor grade electrical cable ( it weighs a ton!) and the nice man that sold it to us said it was rated for up to 40 feet and we only used 17 feet of the cable.

We had to design the exhaust to avoid the sky light and yet keep the ( a ) workbench in the middle of the room. I also put the table up on bed risers. Amazing how much better my posture and back is with just that small adjustment.

More pics to come.
Attached Images

Old 2017-05-27, 8:45pm
Flamewoman

AAArrrgh. Lovely lovey studio space but every time I see ventilation like this I just cringe. With all the work you have put in, it's like running a marathon and then not stepping over the finish line. A fume capture hood so easily could have been put there and been so much more efficient . So many new people look here for ideas for ventilation this style seems an easy answer but it only captures a small portion of the NOX created by the torch,most will escape and be in your room with you and two torches going at the same time will really be a lot of noxious fume. It is my opinion and I know not every one will agree with me, but a hood is the only efficient way to capture and evacuate the nox created by the torch and the glass when it is in the flame.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2017-05-28, 5:16pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks for comment. The fume hood would not do any better than the system I have in place. My old fume hood system and this one are the same as far as extraction.

Only individual person 5 sided Barley boxes with a large front baffle might have been better but I wanted an open space and lots of arm room. I have used that smaller Barley box system before and it was waaay too cramped for me to work in plus it caused too much flame movement when I got the CFMS high enough to extract fumes well.

I have had several kinds of hoods over the years and have tested and used them all. This new one is actually pretty terrific. Even though I do not rely on it alone but also use replacement air brought up into the middle of the table and I wear the full face respirator.

I saw a video clip once done with special filming that showed the fumes and where they actually went the minute the rod had a gather on it and was put into the flame. Once it interrupted the flame the fumes rolled backwards toward the lamp workers face and over the lamp workers shoulders. Didn't matter about the hood, some of the fumes got away. Do this for 20 beads and 3-8 hours and well you get the idea.

That was an eye opener for me.

The minute the air was disturbed in and around the torch area in any way with movement fumes left the capture area. I have tried to find that video clip but it's not forthcoming.
I always wear a full face respirator. That is what I use to make sure NO fumes reach my lungs, eyes, nose etc. because I know there is not a system on the planet that can actually extract ALL of the fumes.

Too many leaving us from cancer not to make the connection.

It doesn't matter how great your capture system is. Some fumes are always going to be there.

To all of the newbies reading this, build what you can and what you can afford, Do what you can to remove the fumes and understand that this hobby deals with poisonous fumes and please always use a respirator and always have lots of fresh replacement air.

Have fun with your new hobby but play it safe.
Old 2017-06-19, 3:32pm

How about air conditioning - do you have AC in there?
Old 2017-06-19, 10:22pm
Salt Box Beads

I do, it is installed over the window and it has a remote control.
Old 2017-06-22, 8:35pm
Millionaire in Training

Wow! This looks awesome. I love your tool drawer thingie. That fencing post material is great for storing glass. I have some, but it is not nearly enough as my glass nearly fills many of the slots.

How nice to have A/C with a remote no less!!! I love that.

It looks so organized. Everything looks like it has a place.

Old 2017-06-22, 9:12pm
Salt Box Beads

Well thank you for the kind words. It is still a work in progress and we made some more progress a few days ago with the table surface.

Here you can see that the table has been covered with sheet metal and the seams covered with metal foil tape. HEY! It works...LOL
Attached Images

Old 2018-03-01, 5:26am

Great workshop studio!
Old 2018-03-02, 2:50pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks. and welcome to LE!
Old 2018-04-04, 10:07am

Your studio looks great. I am currently researching what I want my space to look like.
Old 2018-04-04, 5:30pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks for the compliment. Have fun setting up your studio but most importantly keep it and you safe.