LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-03-14, 7:56am

Default What am I doing wrong??

I'm using the Impress Bead Liner and usually get great results. However, it seems that I get a lot of beads that end up domed on one side

but not on the other!

When you look at this bead straight on, this is what it looks like!

I am making sure that I am doing the same thing to each side of the bead. I contacted Dave about this and never heard back. I've read through the directions again and feel like I am following them. I've not seen this particular problem addressed. Of course, this only happens to my prettiest beads!

I love the domed edge and that is what I want on both sides. Right now, I am adding 3.2mm to the width of the bead to cut a core for sterling silver tubing. I use the little pipe cutter tool.

I have tried to take the silver out of the bead and sometimes I can get it back out but usually I just end up with a mess or a broken bead.

So does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong and how to correct it? Also any suggestions for getting the silver out of the bead if I continue to screw up??

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-14, 9:06am
What was I thinking?

Vicki, try cutting your silver a little shorter. Pretty bead!

Old 2013-03-14, 9:38am
Storm Queen

I cut mine 2.9mm longer but I think your problem has to do with when you flip and how much you turn. I'll explain what I do but I'm not sure if it will make sense.

Side 1: 3/4 turn
flip...Side 2: full turn
flip...Side 1: 1/2 turn
flip....after that I do 1/4 turn on each side.

That seems to give me even sides. I count the beginning of a "turn" as soon as I feel just a little resistance so I know I'm putting pressure on the tubing.

The reason for the little extra in the beginning is that the first 1/4 turn on Side B is actually flattening Side A before it flares Side B at all. Does that make sense?

Old 2013-03-14, 9:39am

Thanks, Gretchen! I will give it a try!

Old 2013-03-14, 9:41am

I think it looks like your bead is sliding down when you roll the first side, and you don't have as much silver to dome on the opposite side.

Do you press a bit, flip, press a bit, flip? I never do one side all the way and then start on the next. I always make sure I have my bead centered as I go, and work both sides alternately.
Old 2013-03-14, 9:41am

Owe me a coke Amy! That is what I was trying to say too.
Old 2013-03-14, 9:43am

Amy, that absolutely makes sense! I have tried doing different amounts of turning based on how the flare looked on both sides. I will try your recipe! Thank you!

Old 2013-03-14, 9:48am

Kathy, yes I alternate sides. I read one of the articles in SLT in the BHB edition about how you can pick the Beadliner up and turn it sideways to make sure you have the bead in the center of the silver. I have been doing that. This "one side domed the other flat" thing has happened with the tool sitting flat on the table, too. The only thing I haven't varied is the length of the tubing. Thanks.

Old 2013-03-14, 9:51am
Storm Queen

If you do it like I described you don't have to worry about keeping the bead in the center at all. I don't even pay attention to that. I just say the turn amount in my head in the beginning until I get to the 1/4 turn part.

Old 2013-03-14, 10:00am
sunscreen me baby

I agree, you aren't flipping it enough. I do the 1/4 turn the whole time and probably flip 6 times to 10 times.

~

Old 2013-03-14, 10:40am

Actually, I flip the bead a lot. I had only been doing 1/2 turn for both sides to start, and then 1/4 turns, of course flipping between turns. Seems like you would be flipping less with shorter tubing. I've tried to troubleshoot this myself and have wasted a lot of tubing and a lot of beads. Thanks, Suzy.

Old 2013-03-14, 11:46am

I've cored 3 beads using Amy's formula and got pretty consistent results. In a couple that I actually marked 1 & 2 on the side, I felt like I got a prettier dome on side 2, but I have to admit I am being hypercritical.

New problem. Does your tubing ever get stuck on the centering peg on the first turn? I use Ginkos "Fits Pandxra" tubing and my liner came with the "Pandxra peg" in the tool. I bought a 1/4" peg and a 3/32" peg that have not been out of the package. Usually when I cut a piece of tubing, only one end will fit on the peg before flaring. I put that end on the peg, flare and then usually have to wrestle to get the bead & tubing off the centering peg. Once I've flipped it to have the recently flared side down, it is smooth sailing. Is this a common problem, or should I try to contact Dave again?

Old 2013-03-14, 12:10pm
sunscreen me baby

How are you cutting your tube? Mine fits exactly, but I cut once using a tube cutter and I must have bent the tube a bit because it didn't fit.

~

Old 2013-03-14, 2:10pm

Yes, I'm using a little pipe cutter. I tried using my little Harbor Freight chop saw, but the blade dulled out really quickly and it wasn't cutting the tubing very well. I've tried to be careful to not tighten the knob on the pipe cutter too tight because I know it can bend the tubing. Suzy, what are you using?

Old 2013-03-14, 2:38pm

Mine only sticks if I don't ream out the inside before I start flaring. I use the deburring tool for that. I use a tubing cutter, and have noticed that you have to change the wheel every so often so that it doesn't get dull and put too much pressure on the tubing.
Old 2013-03-14, 3:38pm
sunscreen me baby

I use the chop saw from harbor freight. I do get a little "hangnail" I have to file off, but my blade is still going strong after hundreds of cuts.

~

Old 2013-03-14, 4:01pm

Thanks Lynda and Suzy. I may need to revisit using the chop saw. I appreciate your input.

Old 2013-03-14, 4:46pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Does anyone have Dave's (Art in the Round) number? I ordered something a couple weeks ago and left him a technical support question at the same time, and haven't heard anything back. I think my Impress liner is off center, 'cause I don't get an even flaring all the way around.

Oh, also... I like the domed look, so I cut it at 4mm longer than the bead is wide, and do 3/4 turn on the first, then 1/2 turns from then on... but I only started doing that yesterday and it DID work on the 3 beads I tried, but don't quote me 'cause it might have been a fluke. :^)

~
~

#M-191

Last edited by Lyssa; 2013-03-14 at 4:50pm.
Old 2013-03-14, 5:09pm

Lyssa, can't help with Dave's number. I left a question on the website about all this a couple of weeks ago and never heard a word. Maybe he's sick? I hope not!! Thanks for giving me your recipe! I'll try it out!

Old 2013-03-14, 7:45pm

Wow, Amy, I tried your recipe with my 4mm extra tubing, and it came out PERFECTLY. I only have two BHBs ready for coring, so I'll try the second and see what happens. Thanks for the tip!

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-03-14, 7:58pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
Wow, Amy, I tried your recipe with my 4mm extra tubing, and it came out PERFECTLY. I only have two BHBs ready for coring, so I'll try the second and see what happens. Thanks for the tip!
Yea!

I use a pipe cutter and if I use too much pressure I do have a bit of an issue getting the tubing on the peg but I always can do it. Just ease up and the pressure as you are cutting it.

Old 2013-03-14, 9:25pm

I came across this video while looking at something else. Not sure if it would be helpful or not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=T0BUn55TXm8.
Old 2013-03-15, 10:25am

Marla, just watched the video and found that I am not being aggressive enough with my deburring. Thanks for the link! Also, it sounds like Aimee had some success with Amy's recipe! I'm going to core a few more this afternoon and see what I get.

Old 2013-03-15, 11:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeenaG View Post
Marla, just watched the video and found that I am not being aggressive enough with my deburring. Thanks for the link! Also, it sounds like Aimee had some success with Amy's recipe! I'm going to core a few more this afternoon and see what I get.
I'm very aggressive with my deburring. Sometimes I think I'm too aggressive, but I never have trouble with splitting or rough edges on my silver cores. I DO get a lot of splitting when I try copper, brass, or aluminum, though. My hubby says THAT is the defining difference between precious metals and base metals. Precious metals are precious because they're so much easier to work with.

I tried Amy's recipe on my second BHB using my plus-4mm tubing and it worked again. Only problem is that with the 1/4 turns you have to flip the bead a million and a half times. I'm gonna make a bunch of BHBs this weekend and play with using 1/2 turns to see what happens.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-03-15, 1:47pm

Just got a message from PayPal that my package from Art In the Round has been shipped. I ordered that about 10 to 14 days ago and I haven't even gotten a response back on my tech support question I submitted at the same time. I hope Dave's OK.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-03-15, 1:48pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
I'm very aggressive with my deburring. Sometimes I think I'm too aggressive, but I never have trouble with splitting or rough edges on my silver cores.
Me too.

Old 2013-03-18, 9:46pm

My coring mojo is gone. Four ruined silver cores in the last two hours. Following the same recipe we discussed.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-03-18, 9:49pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
My coring mojo is gone. Four ruined silver cores in the last two hours. Following the same recipe we discussed.
Ruined how? What length are you cutting them? I do 2.9mm more than the bead.

Old 2013-03-18, 10:48pm

I do 4mm more than the bead, it worked perfectly the first four beads I did with your recipe last week. I will try less on the next bead.

Ruined means the throat of the core is lopsided just inside the hole, and the outside edge of the core is flared up instead of rolled over, which is how I like it. A +4mm core is how I get the rolled edge.
Attached Images

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-03-18, 11:33pm

Worked like a charm, Amy. I went down to 3mm and it looks great.

~
~

#M-191