Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2018-02-19, 12:30pm

Default Thallo Double Helix issues

So I bought my first DH glass a couple months ago, Thallo and Triton. I've heard Triton could be challenging...but it's Thallo that's kicking my butt! I made some icicles out of it, and KINDA got some cool metallic sheen on it. Made a heart recently, and thought I got some color while in the torch, but afterwards it looks meh. Last Friday I plonked my butt down and swore I'd get it to do SOMETHING. So I filled a mandrel with teeny beads and worked it in the flame, upping the propane/lowering oxy, going in and out of the flame, up close and far away. At one point it looked like I succeeded, but after letting them cool in the crock pot, I pulled them out and they don't look nearly as exciting as they did in the fire. Am I doing something wrong? Will kiln annealing them change them at all? Here's pics of the Thallo, and for contrast the Triton to show just how reactive it looks!
Attached Images

Old 2018-02-19, 1:06pm

I think Triton is the easy one. Wave in and out of a propane flame and you have a dilvery blue sheen. I haven’t used Thallo yet.
Old 2018-02-19, 5:20pm
Slogan Challenged...

I've never had any good results with Thallo. The other green one, Gaia, I don't find that responsive either, but I haven't worked with it a lot. The greens have been a disappointment.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2018-02-21, 3:21am

For all green silverglasses you' ve to work very cool. If you like to encase Thallo or Gaia you will end up pulling your hair.

Elke
Old 2018-02-21, 8:32am
Lampworkaholic!

omg, I love Thallo.
Attached Images

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2018-02-21, 4:26pm
Slogan Challenged...

how cool do you work to get that, Elizabeth? That is gorgeous!!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2018-02-21, 4:34pm

It’s on their list to discontinue isn’t it?
Old 2018-02-21, 8:00pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
how cool do you work to get that, Elizabeth? That is gorgeous!!
Nothing special. Make a base, encase with Thallo, burn off any haze. Cool, reduce, and keep the bead out of the flame while encasing until all the clear is on, then shape. Pretty much how I do all my reduction glass focals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
It’s on their list to discontinue isn’t it?
Yes. I have a small stash, less than a lb. I'm counting on Jed to give us a new and improved green reduction color.

You can also play with your base colors to get greens and teals using other silver glass colors.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox