Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-19, 5:33am

Default Home Studio/Insurance Question

Hello, I'm fairly new to lampworking (got my studio up and running last September) and am wondering about my homeowners' insurance policy. I had a professional run the proper tubing from my propane furnace to my torch and I use a oxygen concentrator. I have a fire extinguisher within reach. The wall behind my torch is covered with stainless steel and I have an exhaust hood/fan venter to the outside. I haven't mentioned my studio to my insurance agent for fear that they would cancel my policy. Just wondering if others have had issues with insurance because I had some flooding in my studio (which may require the ripping out of a wall and ceiling) and I'm afraid that if I report to the insurance company they may cancel my policy because of the torch setup? Anyone have any experience with this and/or suggestions??? Thank you very much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-04-19, 6:03am
old fart

for most home owner policies, you are allowed to have hobbies in your home as long as they follow all applicable building and safety codes. and as long as you maintain the studio as a hobby studio, then there should be no problem. you can sell at art shows or online. i would talk with your insurance person an inquire.

however, if you sell out of your studio, or give lessons, then you need a business policy.

you will also want a liability policy if you sell at art shows.

Last edited by laserglass; 2010-04-19 at 7:54am.
Old 2010-04-19, 7:24am

Default Thanks!

Thank you for your reply Mark. I'll call my insurance agent this morning and see what they have to say.

Old 2010-08-04, 8:19pm

I was just wondering what your insurance company said?? or any other news related to your insurance. I'm afraid to call my insurance too!

Old 2010-08-05, 6:16am

Just a quick note, you would be better to call your insurance company...not just your agent. I have been in the insurance business for almost 40 years, you would be suprised how many agents do not know all the ins and outs of policies. Better to get the answer from "the horses mouth" ...make a note of who you talk to and what they say. That way if a questions comes up later you have that info...and if they are wrong it will be covered by their "errors and omissions" policy